TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Just John

Rock Band Draft

I contend that Parliament-Funkadelic are indeed a rock band, as evidenced not only by their inclusion in the rock and roll hall of fame, but in the loose definition of rock music in the first place. Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five didn't play instruments, neither did Aretha Franklin, nor was she in a band. P-Funk fit both of those criteria, and additionally are listed on allmusic as Psychedelic and Hard Rock.

Their umbrella genre is, if anything, Rhythm and Blues, which is a form of/prototypical rock music. Reggae isn't.

If anything, the pick of Sly and the Family Stone is what made me choose Parliament-Funkadelic. They're exactly the same genre.

I think I've made a pretty convincing case to either allow P-Funk or get Sly Stone thrown out too... let's hurry up and decide before I get screwed out of more picks.

I've gone to the net to do some reading on this issue, and most of things I've looked at classify Sly and the Family Stone as at least partially rock-based. I would say Sly Stone pushes the definition of rock to its limits, but the consensus seems to be they fall within the definition. So they stay, that's final.

The style of Parliament-Funkadelic is all over the place, due to the complicated nature of the band. I don't think the collective group or "Parliament" individually are generally considered rock, but the work of "Funkadelic" is. So you can keep Funkadelic, but you don't get Parliament to go with them or you can re-pick.

I know what band Youth is referring to and they're in my shortlist.

I like them but there's still like 2 or 3 bands I'd wanna take before them so...I probably won't be the one to finally draft that band.

I have to go to work so I'm going to pick now. I don't think KOAB will want this band anyways, because I think it's the band he referred to as the singer being too whiney. If he does though, and gets here in the next hour, he can take them from me.

blink-182.jpg

Blink 182

Yeah, for a three album stretch from Out of Time to Monster were insanely big selling albums. When I was in jr high and high school they were huge, and my favorite band. Although their new stuff doesn't do it for me