TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DARRYLXWF

Hugh Jackman to host 2009 Oscars

CTOR Hugh Jackman will host the Oscars ceremony in February.

Jackman, 40, star of the romantic epic Australia, would be hosting the movie industry's highest awards for the first time, Academy spokeswoman Leslie Unger said.

Jackman has hosted theatre's Tony awards in New York three times and last month was named 2008's "sexiest man alive" by People magazine.

Last year comedian Jon Stewart, of the satirical news show The Daily Show, hosted the Oscars for the second time.

Audience ratings for the three-hour-long Oscar ceremony have been falling in recent years and producers have experimented with hosts ranging from edgy comic Chris Rock to chat show host Ellen De Generes in a bid to boost interest.

The Oscars will be handed out by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences in Hollywood on February 22, actors' strike allowing.

The Academy Awards' date puts it directly in the path of a potential walkout by Screen Actors Guild members who vote next month on whether to give union leaders permission to call a strike in stalemated contract talks with major studios.

Movie making by the big studios has wound down since late June in anticipation of labour strife, compounding a general slowdown from the US recession.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,24793674-23109,00.html

As a fellow Australian citizen, let me be the first to say,

Fuck Hugh Jackman.

It seems kind of odd that they'd get a fellow acclaimed actor to host the most prestigious award show on television. I guess they could have done a lot worse though.

Fuck Hugh Jackman.

Huh?

The guy was hilarious when he hosted SNL.

They should make Steve Martin the permanent host, he was excellent. I also liked Ellen

Fuck Hugh Jackman.

Huh?

The guy was hilarious when he hosted SNL.

They should make Steve Martin the permanent host, he was excellent. I also liked Ellen

He's a media whore over here constantly telling our Government how to run the country. He's an asshole.

Good actor though.

They're getting rid of the opening monologue, which is a good start.

People will watch the Oscars if popular movies are nominated, it's that simple

But that will ruin the Oscars. It's not an award show for the most popular movies of the year, but the best ones. That is what the MTV Movie Award are for.

Besides, the Oscars are the highest rated non-sports telecast every year.

But that will ruin the Oscars. It's not an award show for the most popular movies of the year, but the best ones. That is what the MTV Movie Award are for.

I didn't say they should do that, but that's why the Oscars have been doing poorly in the ratings.

Besides, the Oscars are the highest rated non-sports telecast every year.

But if they keep trending southward, that doesn't help anybody

And they don't even get that right most of the time. ;)

And they don't even get that right most of the time.

I tend to think the Oscars generally do a pretty good job.

there's no way in hell 'milk' doesn't walk away with best picture. i'm calling it right now. it's the perfect way for the academy to feel good about themselves.

i'd be very happy to see 'wall-E' nominated, and i think it's actually got a pretty good chance.

Use the shift button

I haven't heard any talk of Milk getting Best Picture- I think Slumdog, Revolutionary Road and Benjamin Button are front runners.

Wall-E won't get a nod. They created the Best Animated Feature category so they wouldn't have to nominate the films for Best Picture, yet still give them acclaim.

With all the gay marriage stuff going on in CA I can for sure not only see Milk getting nominated but winning. Best Picture, Director and Actor are a lock for nods and I wouldn't be surprised to see Franco getting one for supporting.

The gay marriage stuff would've been a bigger issue had Milk come out before Prop 8 and influenced the election in some way.

I think Milk will get a Best Actor nod for sure, but I'm not completely sold on winning Best Picture.

Lower-case letters remind me of the horrifying smallness of my penis. It looks like a lower case J in 8-point font.

it's a perfect storm of hollywood's desire to be socially conscious and their love of the biopic. it seems like there need to be some pretty strong reasons for 'milk' NOT to win it all at this point. it practically swept the new york film critics awards, which is almost unheard of for such a by-the-numbers, feel-good biopic type movie. this just looks like it's shaping up to be the year for 'milk' all around.

The Globes not recognising it for Best Drama and Best Director doesn't help its chances. Harvey Weinstein buying the Reader nomination shows he's making a very strong push for the Oscars.

Right now I think the 5 will be-

Benjamin Button

Slumdog

TDK

Milk

Frost/Nixon.

I don't believe there is a 2008 frontrunner yet.

I just don't get why you make your posts so hard to read

I wouldn't call winning three to be "sweeping" the NY film critics. Last year, No Country won 4.