TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewTS

Teenage Mutant Team Ninja Turtles Bros Brawl

Ok, imagine you're Ubisoft. You have this TMNT license (which in the right hands is bleepin' golden). You enlist the creative efforts of some Team Ninja ex-staffers (known for 2 of the greatest action games ever, and a decent fighter series starring giant breasts), and GameArts (best known for RPGs like the Lunar games, and recently ninja-developing Smash Bros Brawl.) to work on your new game.

Do you make:

a) A turn-based RPG featuring over the top gore and giant breasts?

b) A wicked 3D action game with co-op multiplayer and gorgeous art design?

c) A one-on-one 3D fighter with many anime overtones (with giant breasts)?

d) A lame ass Smash Bros clone. On the Wii.

e) If you prefer any other option than b and *maybe* a, I want to punch you in the fucking face.

Well, if you're Ubisoft, you picked d. Meaning there's an Ubi exec somewhere I want to pu--nay, take a hockey stick to.

http://kotaku.com/5107095/ex+team-ninja-an...fighter-for-wii

Supposedly, the team tasked with creating this 2.5D brawler is comprised of former Team Ninja staffers and folks who worked on Super Smash Bros. Brawl. GoNintendo is reporting that the Wii-bound fighter is scheduled for a late 2009 release and will feature online play said to outperform Brawl.

(pause for laughter on the online play)

Maybe I'm missing the logic, but I fail to see why the TN guys would be well utilized at all. I mean, they worked in a fighting game series, but we know the primary reason(s) for its success (it has nice gameplay, of course). Also, when has a TMNT fighter been anything more than a above-mediocre concept for a game? Tournament Fighters was ok, but that was a long time ago when any TMNT game would sell.

Mutant Melee was garbage: http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/...tmntmutantmelee

Also, I thought we've gotten to the point where developers should realize that cloning Smash Bros does not a hit game make.

See: Dream Mix TV, Viewtiful Joe Red Hot Rumble, Evangelion Battle Orchestra, or any number of other half-assed ripoffs.

After the conceptually-solid but buggy mess that was the TMNT console game (and the awesomeness of the GBA title), I'd have hoped if anyone would go back to this well they'd realize a well-crafted action/beat 'em up game from experienced developers would be the way to go.

(also, to fill my quota: Fuck Nintendo and the Wii)

UGH WHY WOULD A COMPANY CHOOSE A MARKETABLE IDEA OVER RESPECTING THE SANCTITY OF THE NINJA TURTLES. TMNT ARE PURE AND TMNT ARE LOVE. FUCK THEM FOR MAKING A GAME FOR WII SALES ARE BULLSHIT GAMES ARE ART GRAPHICS ARE EVERYTHING.

Yeah, seriously Drew, it's not the end of the World. Do we really need another 3D action adventure game with great art design? Bearing in mind that most (read "all") of the 3D Turtles games have been god awful. In fact all Turtles games have been awful save the arcade ones.

The roster could be interesting. Who would you have? The four turtles, Shredder, Baxter Stockman, Rat King and Splinter are the most obvious choices. But who else? Krang? April? A foot Soilder?

EDIT: A TMNT RPG could actually work.

After reading what he said, he is basically saying it's a bad idea because Smash clones do not perform well in the market place.

I'm not seeing where he is wrong there. Also, I'd imagine it does get increasingly frustrating for TMNT fans after the various number of bomb out games. And the main reason Smash clones fail is well, cause Smash is the top of that mountain and those who want to play Smash just get Smash.

If the game isn't another lazy slap together job then maybe it does well but still not very likely. But if it's another one similar to Melee, it's another seriously major blow to a Turtles franchise that is more than likely already dead.

A MARKETABLE IDEA

Failure #1.

Stop. Explain.

Fighting games in general are not huge sellers these days, and even the ones with name value are relatively niche (VF5 anyone? MK vs. DC fell below expectations even with tons of marketing and DC characters).

As I've noted, Smash Bros clone does not = insta money.

OVER RESPECTING THE SANCTITY OF THE NINJA TURTLES. TMNT ARE PURE AND TMNT ARE LOVE.

Where'd you pull this bullshit from? TMNT is more of a game franchise than anything else to me. The basic idea is not that ridiculous (the Turtles fighting), but the actual concept at work here is a bit more baffling (a Smash-style title which doesn't really lend itself well to the combat style).

However, please make a ranting all-caps strawman piece of shit paragraph, that's much better than actually making a coherent statement.

FUCK THEM FOR MAKING A GAME FOR WII SALES ARE BULLSHIT GAMES ARE ART GRAPHICS ARE EVERYTHING.

Are you making the argument that making a game for Wii over another system is a matter of playability over graphics?

Because if so, you are a fucking idiot. Sure, playing an action or fighting game with jacking-off motions makes great sense.

Yeah, how is this bad news?

It's a waste of Team Ninja. If they have GameArts on board I don't even see why they'd bother using TN.

Do we really need another 3D action adventure game with great art design? Bearing in mind that most (read "all") of the 3D Turtles games have been god awful.

After reading what he said, he is basically saying it's a bad idea because Smash clones do not perform well in the market place.

If you're enlisting Team Ninja, then why not use them for what they're best at, especially if the title you're making lends itself well to an action game?

And the main reason Smash clones fail is well, cause Smash is the top of that mountain and those who want to play Smash just get Smash.

Also, Nintendo as developer + Nintendo characters. And the clones being crap.

A MARKETABLE IDEA

Failure #1.

Stop. Explain.

Fighting games in general are not huge sellers these days, and even the ones with name value are relatively niche (VF5 anyone? MK vs. DC fell below expectations even with tons of marketing and DC characters).

As I've noted, Smash Bros clone does not = insta money.

Ubi feels that it's something people would buy. Have you not noticed the way in which Wii has changed the marketplace? Sure, maybe it's led to a few games that aren't too good becoming big sellers. But I think "Ninja Turtles Fighting Game on Wii" is a sound concept economically. So what if the Viewtiful Joe fighting game bombed? Viewtiful Joe was never that popular. A Smash Bros. clone with mainstream-popular characters has a chance. Ninja Turtles are popular. It could work.

OVER RESPECTING THE SANCTITY OF THE NINJA TURTLES. TMNT ARE PURE AND TMNT ARE LOVE.

Where'd you pull this bullshit from? TMNT is more of a game franchise than anything else to me. The basic idea is not that ridiculous (the Turtles fighting), but the actual concept at work here is a bit more baffling (a Smash-style title which doesn't really lend itself well to the combat style).

I think the TMNT franchise and the Smash style are a good fit. TMNT is all about Big Dumb Fun, nothing serious. It makes sense.

However, please make a ranting all-caps strawman piece of shit paragraph, that's much better than actually making a coherent statement.

Sure thing! I do it well.

FUCK THEM FOR MAKING A GAME FOR WII SALES ARE BULLSHIT GAMES ARE ART GRAPHICS ARE EVERYTHING.

Are you making the argument that making a game for Wii over another system is a matter of playability over graphics?

Because if so, you are a fucking idiot.

I was just making fun of your "everything Wii is bad" attitude. I doubt you'd be so negative on this game if it wasn't on the system for dem damn casual players.

Sure, playing an action or fighting game with jacking-off motions makes great sense.

But it does! You're swinging a katana blade, or a sai, or nunchaku. Motion control fits.

It's a waste of Team Ninja. If they have GameArts on board I don't even see why they'd bother using TN.

If you're enlisting Team Ninja, then why not use them for what they're best at, especially if the title you're making lends itself well to an action game?

It's not Team Ninja. It's a few dudes who used to work there. It's not like Itagaki is making the game. Who knows those ex-Ninja guys want to make another game like that? Who knows if they could?

It could work.

Clearly you have upmost confidence here. :P

I was just making fun of your "everything Wii is bad" attitude. I doubt you'd be so negative on this game if it wasn't on the system for dem damn casual players.

The problems of the Wii have little to do with the graphic capabilities. Also, I'm less concerned with what this is than I am what it could have been. It's as much of a disappointment as Wii finally getting a Castlevania and...it's a fighting game. Or Wii getting a Soul Calibur game...and it's a shitty action game.

But it does! You're swinging a katana blade, or a sai, or nunchaku. Motion control fits.

Aww, that's adorable! You actually think Wii motion controls work that way. Sorry, they don't. The pointer works. Slow, deliberate motion control works. Any sort of fast, repeated motion controls do not work well at all without repeated flailing to get something to register. That's the whole reason for mocking "waggling."

It's not Team Ninja. It's a few dudes who used to work there. It's not like Itagaki is making the game. Who knows those ex-Ninja guys want to make another game like that? Who knows if they could?

I'm using TN for quick shorthand. Also, I'm sure after leaving Tecmo that they're dying to expand their creative horizons by making a licensed Smash clone!

Come on, this is just a paycheck for them and it's a concept handed down by committee, that's all.

How well did Shonen Jump Ultimate Stars or whatever sell in Japan?

Granted that is for the money-printing DS but...

Jump Superstars:

Not sure of LTD, but 220K in the first week in Japan (fastest selling DS game ever in JPN until Animal Crossing). It also was a big import title, even as far as getting copies of the Japanese title (unchanged mind you) released in Best Buy stores here in North America. Of course, you're talking about a Shonen Jump licensed project, headlined by characters from Naruto, DBZ, One Piece, etc. and it got a very positive critical reception. The only reason it didn't come out here is the licensing issues. Slap Naruto in anything and you're pretty much guaranteed sales anyway.

I don't know about Jump Ultimate Stars (the sequel), but it's safe to say it did well.

TMNT today ain't no Shonen Jump.

Andrew, if your vaunted Ubi Montreal couldn't make the kick-ass TMNT game that you want, what makes you think the developer of a thousand Sega CD RPGs and a couple of Team Ninja staffers can?

Casey Jones, Bebop and Rocksteady would probably be in in too.

How the hell did I forget Casey? :bonk:

Andrew, if your vaunted Ubi Montreal couldn't make the kick-ass TMNT game that you want

Save for multiplayer, they actually did (the GBA title, also by Ubi M):

I didn't even know about the console game until like a week before it came out. It's solid visually and control-wise, but the strict adherence to telling the movie story (effectively cutting out multiplayer) and probably a short development schedule weren't kind to the ultimate product.

What makes you think the developer of a thousand Sega CD RPGs and a couple of Team Ninja staffers can?

Depends on how much the suits are willing to invest in a quality product. I think the key part in this title, genre aside, being worth a damn is whether it's going to be rushed or not. Granted, getting GameArts to make a Smash Bros. clone is an interesting distinction.

Also, when has a TMNT fighter been anything more than a above-mediocre concept for a game? Tournament Fighters was ok, but that was a long time ago when any TMNT game would sell.

You know that there's a new cartoon on tv, and the turtles fanbase is largely preteens right? I think this kind of game would work well for that market, Smash Bros is relatively easy to pick up and play. Certainly more so than a turn-based rpg. Besides, didn't Ubisoft already made a Turtles 3d action game for PS2? My nephew had it...poor game for a 6 year old, he couldn't really get very far because of the jumping puzzles and such.

Certainly more so than a turn-based rpg.

That was a joke. :P The ninja developer who made Smash Bros. Brawl also made the Lunar series.

Besides, didn't Ubisoft already made a Turtles 3d action game for PS2? My nephew had it...poor game for a 6 year old, he couldn't really get very far because of the jumping puzzles and such.

Yeah, that was the one based on the 2007 CGI movie.

Turtles in Time (SNES) will forever be the best TMNT game, IMO. :P

The combos are toned down in SNES over arcade, but it's still darn good (plus: new levels and bosses).

Probably so you can tell which one is which in the distance.

God my first post in this thread was horrible. I'm sorry Drew.

The more important question is why is Raph being eaten by a gator?

That looks like some really lazy work done in those screens.