BUF @ DEN

HOU @ OAK

NYJ @ SEA

PHI @ WAS

ATL @ MIN

CAR @ NYG

MONDAY NIGHT MURDER

GB @ CHI

Since no one is bound to give a shit about Philadelphia-Cleveland tonight, I figured it was a good time to start this thread tonight. Discuss.

I look forward to BALT/DAL, PIT/TEN, ATL/MIN and CAR/NYG. Other than that the rest of those games are pretty much duds.

I'd like to think that the Jets shouldn't have any problem with the Seahawks but given their problems on the west coast this season I'm not convinced of anything.

Must-win game for Denver this week, because I don't think they beat the Chargers in San Diego next week if it comes down to that. Hopefully the Bills can be as cooperative as they've been for everyone else the past 2 months.

Oh, Vitamin X. Don't you remember last year's *coughweek13cough* debacle? You can't start a new NFL thread until the previous week's games have been completed. As the final gun has yet to signal the end of tonight's Cleveland-Philadelphia thriller, this thread is illegitimate and will forever bear the asterisk (*) of shame and illegitimacy and shame.

At the risk of pissing off one of my favourite posters in NoCalMike, I think Washington will go down as the biggest disappointment of this season: Seattle was banged up, Buffalo's record was exagerrated from a few good fourth quarters, and what I'm going to remember most when I think of San Diego was how many games they had taken away late (and keep in mind they can still get in the playoffs).

(and keep in mind they can still get in the playoffs).

Quiet, you.

My ballsy prediction of three weeks ago doesn't seem like a stretch any longer, does it?

My facebook status two weeks ago suggested the Raiders could get into the playoffs. It turned into a picture of Jim Mora and "CG is...Playoffs!?!? Don't talk about playoffs!" shortly thereafter.

What exactly are the NFL's tiebreaker stipulations? Is it solely head-to-head? Point differential? Inter-division?

I'd almost like for The Steelers to remain at No.2 seed in The AFC, considering the fact that they have a history of pissing away homefield advantage throughout the playoffs.

Guest Vitamin X
What exactly are the NFL's tiebreaker stipulations? Is it solely head-to-head? Point differential? Inter-division?

To try and spare you some of that reading, or keep it in layman's terms, what you need to worry about are first: Is the team in the running for a division championship, or are they going for a wildcard? If it's a division championship, what matters most are: overall record, then head to head record, then divisional record, then record against common opponents. It rarely goes beyond that for tiebreakers. If it's a wildcard they're looking for, then divisional record is replaced by conference record- which is why if your team is matched up with the West teams this year, you're in better luck/shape than if you're a fan of teams matched up against the South divisions this year, since you can rack up wins a lot easier against the Chiefs, Rams, Niners, Seahawks, and Raiders than the Titans, Bucs, Panthers, Falcons, and Colts.

Speaking of the Vikings, I wonder if they'd be better off by sticking with Tavaris Jackson. Let's face it, most people think the NFC North rep will be one and done in the playoffs. Frerotte can only do so much (his numbers this season aren't particularly good) and I don't think AP alone is enough to carry the Vikings too far. Jackson can be awful at times, but he has way more upside (he did have 4 games with a QB rating of 90 or above last year), can throw the deep ball to Berrian and others, and has the mobility to evade the pass rushes of the top NFC teams.

Speaking of the Vikings, I wonder if they'd be better off by sticking with Tavaris Jackson. Let's face it, most people think the NFC North rep will be one and done in the playoffs. Frerotte can only do so much (his numbers this season aren't particularly good) and I don't think AP alone is enough to carry the Vikings too far. Jackson can be awful at times, but he has way more upside (he did have 4 games with a QB rating of 90 or above last year), can throw the deep ball to Berrian and others, and has the mobility to evade the pass rushes of the top NFC teams.

That was a very hot topic,as you could imagine, on all the sports radio shows today. For the most part the hosts and callers want Jackson. Paul Allen, the radio guy for the Vikings, really sounded like he wants Jackson. I disagree though, people are getting way too excited for 6 quarters against the Lions and Cardinals, not exactly the Steelers or anything.

Predictions~!

Thursday

INDY @ JAX: There is absolutely no excuse for the Colts to not go down to Jacksonville and get this win. It will be tough as it tends to be in the Colts/Jags rivalry, but the Colts are playing to get into the playoffs. Indy by 7.

Saturday

RAVENS @ COWBOYS: Poor Baltimore, they had that tough loss to the Steelers and now have to turn around and play at Dallas. Basically an elimination game of sorts. Dallas by 4.

Sunday

SF @ STL: There are plenty of fun games this weekend, this is not one of them. The Rams are awful, Niners have improved, so I'll take SF by 10.

PIT @ TEN: I've been skeptical of the Steelers but the Titans are hurting a bit with Haynesworth out most likely so I think the Steelers will go on the road and secure home field. Steelers by 5.

CIN @ CLE: Wow, crappy game #2. Bengals at least are down to a 2nd stringer and not a 3rd stringer, so I'll say Cincy by 7.

NO @ DET: Well, the Saints do suck on the road and the Lions can bring it at times. Ah who am I kidding? Brees isn't going to lose to these scrubs. New Orleans by 9.

MIA @ KC: This is like a mirror universe game, with the Chiefs always finding ways to lose and the Dolphins usually find a way to win. I'll go out on a limb and say the Chiefs pull an upset here by 3.

ARI @ NE: This could be a fun shootout, or it could be the Cardinals phoning it in again on the east coast. I vote for the latter. Pats by 14.

SD @ TB: The Chargers still have some slight hopes of making the playoffs. Can't see them having any after this one. Tampa badly needs this win at home. Bucs by 10.

BUF @ DEN: Denver is a baffling team but the Bills are totally out of it now and the Broncos have no excuse not to win here. Broncos by 6.

HOU @ OAK: Feel the power of the mighty Texans! Houston has managed to sneak up to .500 and a win here would assure them of an 8-8 finish. Texans by 12.

NYJ @ SEA: Okay this is a curious game. Seattle plays people tough at home and the Jets seem to suck on the west coast big time. But with it all on the line the Jets have to win this game, and I'll take NY to win it here. Jets by 2.

PHI @ WAS: The Redskins look to be flat out done and the Eagles are starting to get on a roll. So why is it I think the Redskins muster up some futile last ditch effort? Eh...not happening. Philly by 7.

ATL @ MIN: Oh, man. The Falcons need this one big time. Vikings need this one big time. I bet they will start Tavaris Jackson and he'll revert back to mediocre form, and the Falcons find a way to win it. Falcons in OT by 3, much like in a more famous game in Jan. 1999.

CAR @ NYG: Giants are struggling but Carolina has yet to prove they can beat anyone of note on the road. Undefeated at home, .500 type team on the road. Giants by 9 to secure home field.

MONDAY NIGHT MURDER

GB @ CHI: Bears need this one for whatever chance they have left at the playoffs and the Packers are done at this point. Bears get revenge by 13.

A quick guide to the current NFC Wild Card picture from buccaneers.com:

1. If the Buccaneers win out by defeating San Diego and Oakland at home, they will finish 11-5. Only two other teams in the NFC (beyond the division winners) can finish 11-5: Dallas and Atlanta. Thus, if either Dallas or Atlanta loses one of their final two games, the Bucs would be assured of one of the two Wild Card spots.

2. If the Buccaneers, Falcons and Cowboys all finish at 11-5, then the Cowboys would be the fifth seed and the Buccaneers would be the sixth seed after tiebreakers are applied. A lot of tiebreakers. Here's how it breaks down:

The first step in such a three-way tie is to eliminate all but one team from each division. Thus you first have to break the tie between Atlanta and Tampa Bay. Here's how that would go, in order of how the tiebreakers are applied:

a. Head-to-head: Bucs and Falcons split their two games. Still tied.

b. Best record in games played against division opponents: Both teams are 3-3. Still tied.

c. Best record in games played against common opponents: Both teams would be 9-3. Still tied.

d. Best record in games played against conference opponents: Both teams would be 8-4. Still tied.

e. Strength of victory: Here's where it gets really complicated. "Strength of victory" means the combined winning percentage of all of the teams that you beat. There would be only one victory that the Buccaneers and Falcons wouldn't share, as Tampa Bay beat Seattle and Atlanta beat St. Louis. By virtue of Seattle's win over St. Louis on Sunday, Seattle is now one game ahead of St. Louis, which means the Buccaneers' strength of victory would be higher. The Rams cannot pass the Seahawks in this scenario because, amazingly, Atlanta plays St. Louis in Week 17 and this scenario presupposes Atlanta beating the Rams. Otherwise, Atlanta wouldn't be in the tiebreaker at all. However, St. Louis could still equal the Seahawks by beating San Francisco in Week 16 and Seattle losing out. Thus, it could go to the next tiebreaker, which is...

f. Strength of schedule: This is the same concept as strength of victory except you include all the opponents you played, not just the ones you beat. In this case, the Bucs and Falcons would have only two games not in common, as Tampa Bay played Dallas and Seattle and Atlanta played Philadelphia and St. Louis. We've already established that Seattle and St. Louis would be tied, so it would come down to who has a better record between Dallas and Philadelphia. Obviously, in this scenario, Dallas would have a better record than Philadelphia. If Philadelphia does beat Dallas, then the Cowboys wouldn't have 11 wins and wouldn't be in this tiebreaker, and both Atlanta and Tampa Bay would go.

After the Buccaneers knock Atlanta out, they would lose the tiebreaker for the fifth seed to Dallas and would be the sixth seed.

Got that? There's a quiz on it tomorrow morning.

In all seriousness, it is a sign of how convoluted and tight this year's NFC playoff race is that last weekend's game between Seattle and St. Louis - two teams that came into the weekend at 2-11 - could be the deciding factor for the final Wild Card berth. Had St. Louis beaten Seattle, Atlanta would be holding the exact same advantage that is described in such detail above for the Buccaneers.

I hope Baltimore beats the life out of Dallas on Saturday night, just to spare us another goddamn primetime NFC East game the following Sunday. Were NBC to "flex" into week 17's Dallas-Philadelphia game, that would give Dallas six primetime appearances this year, in addition to the countless nationally-televised late games they've had on FOX, plus the Thanksgiving game. And this for a team that could easily miss the playoffs! It's too much, it's too much.

I hope Baltimore beats the life out of Dallas on Saturday night, just to spare us another goddamn primetime NFC East game the following Sunday. Were NBC to "flex" into week 17's Dallas-Philadelphia game, that would give Dallas six primetime appearances this year, in addition to the countless nationally-televised late games they've had on FOX, plus the Thanksgiving game. And this for a team that could easily miss the playoffs! It's too much, it's too much.

Win or lose, that game is going Primetime. Might as well accept the reality now.

You're probably right, although if Dallas were to lose this week and ATL/TB both won, there's a very real possibility that the game would be free of playoff implications by kickoff. Were Atlanta to beat St. Louis and Tampa to beat Oakland in week 17, both Dallas and Philly would be out of the playoffs.

You're probably right, although if Dallas were to lose this week and ATL/TB both won, there's a very real possibility that the game would be free of playoff implications by kickoff. Were Atlanta to beat St. Louis and Tampa to beat Oakland in week 17, both Dallas and Philly would be out of the playoffs.

It'd probably still draw a better rating than anything else they could flex to, and we all know that's the main motivation behind the selection of games this late in the season.

Yeah, but another game they could flex into would be Jets-Dolphins, which I'm sure would also draw respectable ratings. Anyway, Ich bin ein Ravens fan for one week only.

DONOVAN VS T.O

ROMO VS THE WINTER

WADE PHILLIPS VS ANDY REID

EAGLES VS COWBOYS!

There is just zero way to avoid it. Although you are right, if anyone could bump it then FAVRE! FAVRE! FAVRE! for the AFC EAST would. Madden loves him some Brett Favre.

Ugh, poor Hank Baskett

http://deadspin.com/5111394/kendra-wilkins...les-locker-room

Delightfully dim Playmate Kendra Wilkinson is giving her fiancee, Eagles' wide receiver Hank Baskett, a good indication of what kind of headaches he'll have to suffer through the rest of his life once they become legally married and bound together forever.

And ever. And ever.

Wilkinson appeared on Fox's "Best Damn Sports Show's" podcast yesterday and between her usual giggle fits, addressed the following topics:

• Reveals that at a recent Eagles Christmas party she asked the Eagles owner, Andy Reid and Donovan McNabb to throw more passes to her fiancé, Hank Baskett and asked them to sign him for another year.

• She wonders why Kevin Curtis gets more balls thrown his way than Hank, going so far as to say that anytime Kevin touches the ball, nothing happens. But when Hank touches the ball, things happen.

• She has suggested end zone celebrations to Hank, one of which was to have Hank re-enact their engagement in the end zone by getting down on one knee and "proposing" to the ball.

• Says that Hank "blows her kisses" after every catch.

Oh and she also compares Hank's playing style to Plaxico Burress. She's a fantastic publicist.

Lets hope they deal with this type of shit from other player's wifes/gfs on a regular basis. Baskett is a decent target for McNabb right now & I hope she isn't ruining it for him.

2009 Pro Bowl rosters

NFL.com

NFC

Offense

Pos. Starter(s) Reserves

Quarterback Kurt Warner, Arizona Drew Brees, New Orleans

Eli Manning, New York Giants

Running back Adrian Peterson, Minnesota Michael Turner, Atlanta

Clinton Portis, Washington

Fullback Mike Sellers, Washington

Wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald, Arizona

Anquan Boldin, Arizona Steve Smith, Carolina

Roddy White, Atlanta

Tight end Jason Witten, Dallas Chris Cooley, Washington

Tackle Jordan Gross, Carolina

Walter Jones, Seattle Chris Samuels, Washington

Guard Steve Hutchinson, Minnesota

Chris Snee, New York Giants Leonard Davis, Dallas

Center Andre Gurode, Dallas Shaun O'Hara, New York Giants

Defense

Pos. Starter(s) Reserves

Defensive end Julius Peppers, Carolina

Justin Tuck, New York Giants Jared Allen, Minnesota

Defensive tackle Kevin Williams, Minnesota

Jay Ratliff, Dallas Pat Williams, Minnesota

Outside linebacker DeMarcus Ware, Dallas

Lance Briggs, Chicago Derrick Brooks, Tampa Bay

Inside linebacker Patrick Willis, San Francisco Jon Beason, Carolina

Cornerback Charles Woodson, Green Bay

Antoine Winfield, Minnesota Asante Samuel, Philadelphia

Free safety Nick Collins, Green Bay Brian Dawkins, Philadelphia

Strong safety Adrian Wilson, Arizona

Special teams

Pos. Starter(s) Reserves

Punter Jeff Feagles, New York Giants

Placekicker John Carney, New York Giants

Kick returner Clifton Smith, Tampa Bay

Special teamer Sean Morey, Arizona

AFC

Offense

Pos. Starter(s) Reserves

Quarterback Peyton Manning, Indianapolis Brett Favre, New York Jets

Jay Cutler, Denver

Running back Thomas Jones, New York Jets Chris Johnson, Tennessee

Ronnie Brown, Miami

Fullback Le'Ron McClain, Baltimore

Wide receiver Andre Johnson, Houston

Brandon Marshall, Denver Reggie Wayne, Indianapolis

Wes Welker, New England

Tight end Tony Gonzalez, Kansas City Antonio Gates, San Diego

Tackle Joe Thomas, Cleveland

Jason Peters, Buffalo Michael Roos, Tennessee

Guard Alan Faneca, New York Jets

Kris Dielman, San Diego Brian Waters, Kansas City

Center Kevin Mawae, Tennessee Nick Mangold, New York Jets

Defense

Pos. Starter(s) Reserves

Defensive end Mario Williams, Houston

Dwight Freeney, Indianapolis Robert Mathis, Indianapolis

Defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth, Tennessee

Kris Jenkins, New York Jets Shaun Rogers, Cleveland

Outside linebacker James Harrison, Pittsburgh

Joey Porter, Miami Terrell Suggs, Baltimore

Inside linebacker Ray Lewis, Baltimore James Farrior, Pittsburgh

Cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha, Oakland

Cortland Finnegan, Tennessee Darrelle Revis, New York Jets

Free safety Ed Reed, Baltimore

Strong safety Troy Polamalu, Pittsburgh Chris Hope, Tennessee

Special teams

Pos. Starter(s) Reserves

Punter Shane Lechler, Oakland

Placekicker Stephen Gostkowski, New England

Kick returner Leon Washington, New York Jets

Special teamer Brendon Ayanbadejo, Baltimore

I think NBC has to pick their flex game 12 days in advance, which would be today. DAL/PHI or MIA/NYJ are the safest bets for games with playoff implications. Would you rather have the Dallas Cowboys show or the Brett Favre show?