TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Vitamin X

NFL Week 16

I think NBC has to pick their flex game 12 days in advance, which would be today. DAL/PHI or MIA/NYJ are the safest bets for games with playoff implications. Would you rather have the Dallas Cowboys show or the Brett Favre show?

They can wait until 6 days prior to flex for week 17. So, next Monday.

Clifton Smith makes the Pro Bowl! What the hell? I mean, it's awesome and I'm happy for the guy and all, but he wasn't even on the active roster until halfway through the season.

Guest Vitamin X

Brett Favre makes the Pro Bowl and Rodgers doesn't. Fail. Although the QB competition in the NFC is much tougher than in the AFC. I still would've put in Matt Cassel over Favre, though.

On the bright side, Charles Woodson and Nick Collins made it, the first time for the latter. That's pretty awesome to see, especially since Woodson has been outstanding this year- he makes that INT in the jump ball he had against Steve Smith a couple weeks ago, and the Packers have a winning record, and he could easily maybe even be DPOTY. By far the best season I've ever seen out of him, especially since coming to Green Bay.

This is not the best of news for the Titans.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?i...e=ESPNHeadlines

Tuesday's recognition of Albert Haynesworth as one of the best defensive linemen in the NFL could come at a steep price for the Tennessee Titans.

When Haynesworth was named to the Pro Bowl on Tuesday, it triggered a clause in his contract guaranteeing he can become an unrestricted free agent after this season.

The Titans had agreed to four conditions under which they would agree not to place the franchise player tag Haynesworth. A second straight Pro Bowl appearance was one of those four triggers.

That doesn't mean Haynesworth is automatically out the door: The Titans still have exclusive negotiating rights with him until Feb. 27. But he's free to talk to other teams after that date.

Guest Vitamin X

Oh god I hope the Packers throw every penny of salary cap room they have at him (and they have a lot of it).

I think he'd look pretty good putting cleat to face in pewter, but I doubt it'll happen. Some guy on that wretched Tampa Bay Bucs offical message board even started a petition to demand that the front office sign Haynesworth in the offseason.

I'd be shocked if he left Tennessee, personally. They'll give him his money, plus he has the chance to be on a team that should (it's the NFL, so who knows) be good for a while. If they can get a legit #1 WR and Vince Young can get his head out of his ass, that team could be downright scary.

Anyone know what the other three conditions are? I haven't been able to find them anywhere.

One of the conditions was if the team won 10+ games and he played at least 53% of defensive snaps. That one's pretty much a done deal too. Not sure about the other two.

Oh god I hope the Packers throw every penny of salary cap room they have at him (and they have a lot of it).

I wouldn't get my hopes up, but I think I would faint if they actually managed to do it. He's exactly who they need.

That's kind of what I was expecting; having a Pro Bowl slot trigger something like that is stupid, but seems a bit less consequential when he'd already reached one of the other milestones.

Guest Vitamin X

I wouldn't get my hopes up, but I think I would faint if they actually managed to do it. He's exactly who they need.

I know. It'd be akin to signing Reggie White in 93, I think. Imagine a healthy defensive front with Haynesworth anchoring the middle, a good rookie linebacker filling out the front seven with a healthy Jenkins, Kampman, Hawk, and Barnett? That would be exactly who they need, since everything starts with the battle up front. They're also going to need a really good offensive lineman to replace Clifton and/or Tauscher, who might be gone after this year but hey if the Jets make the Super Bowl

But Haynesworth, man. I've been trying to look everywhere for what the salary cap room is going to be for the 2009 offseason. Here's the closest thing I found, but for 2008. I don't know how different that looks- and that's gotta suck for the Lions if it's true- but if the numbers are similar, the Titans and Packers seem to have just about the same amount of cap room so that could be a hell of a bidding war.

I'm still pissed Teddy Tom didn't pull the trigger on the fucking Tony Gonzalez deal.

The Steelers gave out their team Rookie of the Year award today to non-drafted Duke LB Patrick Bailey for coming in third on the team with 12 special teams tackles. I wish I could have seen his reaction, it had to be surprising. Their draft class produced 2 players on IR, 1 on the practice squad, 3 that have dressed for a total of 2 games, and Limas Sweed who has seen very limited action as a 4th WR. It hasn't really made a difference on-field, and they still look like a fairly promising group with Rashard Mendenhall, Limas Sweed, and Dennis Dixon, but is there another team in the league that has gotten so little production out of a rookie class?

Guest Agent of Oblivion

For those clamoring for Haynesworth, keep in mind this is going to be a VERY good year for D-Line in Free agency. Peppers, Haynesworth, Suggs, and Tank Johnson all off the top of my head.

Marvin, did you know that if the Ravens lose to the Cowboys, Jets lose to Seattle and both teams win in week 17. Guess who wins the tiebreaker for the wild card? The Jets.

I doubt the Jets will lose to the Seahawks, but I also dont think the Ravens lose to the Cowboys..so..

Yahoo playoff simulator

I was messing around with that. Interesting enough, if the Giants lose to the Panthers, their week 17 matchup with the Vikings (should the Vikings win this weekend) would be for a Bye Week/#2 seed..now how fn crazy would that be?

Also, should Baltimore, NY and Miami win this week and the Patriots lose to the Cardinals (which looks more likely than the Jets losing to Seattle), and then the unthinkable happens and the Ravens lose to the Jags, the Ravens still get in no matter what happens in the Dolphins/Jets Game. If the Pats beat the Cardinals this week then they would be the Wild Card and the Ravens would be out.

So basically, if the Ravens win and Patriots lose this week, the Ravens lock up the last Wild Card spot and play the winner of Jets/Dolphins. Im rooting for that to happen.

Link to this scenario

Note, in week 17 in this scenario, Dolphins/Jets is a meaningful game (winner wins the AFC East and #3 seed, loser is out), Vikings/Giants is a meaningful game (Winner gets a Bye Week) and Dallas/Philadelphia is a meaningful game (Winner gets the 1st Wild Card, loser is out).

It also reminds me of 2002 when the Ravens were in the playoffs and had to go on the road in Miami and beat the Dolphins in the Wild Card round (in the infamous President Bush chokes on a pretzel game) and then had to go to Pittsburgh and play the Steelers which they lost. I dont think I could take a 3rd pittsburgh game, and with as close as the Ravens played the Titans earlier this year I think they could beat the Titans, so I am definitely rooting for the Titans to win this weekend vs Pittsburgh.

Marvin, did you know that if the Ravens lose to the Cowboys, Jets lose to Seattle and both teams win in week 17. Guess who wins the tiebreaker for the wild card? The Jets.

I doubt the Jets will lose to the Seahawks, but I also dont think the Ravens lose to the Cowboys..so..

Yahoo playoff simulator

I was messing around with that. Interesting enough, if the Giants lose to the Panthers, their week 17 matchup with the Vikings (should the Vikings win this weekend) would be for a Bye Week/#2 seed..now how fn crazy would that be?

Also, should Baltimore, NY and Miami win this week and the Patriots lose to the Cardinals (which looks more likely than the Jets losing to Seattle), and then the unthinkable happens and the Ravens lose to the Jags, the Ravens still get in with a Dolphins win over the Jets and they would play the Jets in the Wild Card Game. If the Pats beat the Cardinals this week then they would play the Jets and the Ravens would be out.

So basically, if the Ravens win and Patriots lose this week, the Ravens lock up the last Wild Card spot and play the winner of Jets/Dolphins. Im rooting for that to happen.

I just did your simulator, if the Jets and Ravens tie for the wild card, the Jets get the spot.

Yahoo playoff simulator

Also, should Baltimore, NY and Miami win this week and the Patriots lose to the Cardinals (which looks more likely than the Jets losing to Seattle), and then the unthinkable happens and the Ravens lose to the Jags, the Ravens still get in with a Dolphins win over the Jets and they would play the Jets in the Wild Card Game. If the Pats beat the Cardinals this week then they would play the Jets and the Ravens would be out.

I just did your simulator, if the Jets and Ravens tie for the wild card, the Jets get the spot.

Try it again because thats not possible.

Both teams 10-6 (Ravens lose to Cowboys, beat Jags/Jets beat Seattle, lose to Dolphins = Ravens vs Dolphins Wild Card)

Both Teams 10-6 (Ravens lose to Cowboys, beat Jags/Jets lose to Seattle, beat Dolphins = Ravens vs Jets Wild Card)

Both teams 10-6 (Ravens beat Cowboys, lose to Jags/Jets lose to Seattle, beat Dolphins = Ravens vs Jets Wild Card)

Both teams 10-6 (Ravens beat Cowboys, lose to Jags/Jets beat Seattle, lose to Dolphins = Ravens vs Dolphins Wild Card)

Both teams 11-5 (Both teams win out = Ravens vs Jets Wild Card no matter what New England does)

Both teams 9-7 (Both teams lose out = Ravens vs Dolphins Wild Card if New England loses out too)

Both Teams 9-7 (Bot teams lose out = Dolphins vs Patriots Wild Card if New England gets 1 win in last 2)

All the 10-6 scenarios go with the Dolphins winning week 16 and New England losing. If New England wins out, then they are in over the Ravens in all the 10-6 scenarios.