TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TheTomster

WWE Gets "New" Show on WGN

WWE issued the following press release this morning:

WGN America Enters WWE® Ring

December 19, 2008

STAMFORD, Conn. / NEW YORK, NY, December 19, 2008 – World Wrestling Entertainment® and WGN America have reached an agreement to create a new weekly, one hour prime time series entitled, “WWE Superstars” that will debut in April 2009.

Details will be forthcoming.

WGN America is a broad entertainment network and destination for audiences across America. It is America’s #1 superstation. Part of Tribune Broadcasting Company, WGN America is nationally distributed via cable, satellite and telco with entertainment programming consisting of cable exclusives, first-run programs, blockbuster movies and live sports. www.wgnamerica.com

Additional information on World Wrestling Entertainment Inc (NYSE: WWE) can be found at wwe.com and corporate.wwe.com. For information on our global activities, go to http://www.wwe.com/worldwide/.Media

-ewrestlingnews.com

I thought everyone got WGN. It's a national cable network.

For the most part. I got WGN when I went to college. I'd get WGN if I lived three miles to the east and had a different cable system. But my cable system sucks balls. My family would seriously pay to get WGN. My mom grew up in Chicago, Me and one of my brothers are Cubs fans, the other brother is a Sox fan.

I don't get it.

If WWE wanted a recap show, they could get a Saturday morning slot on USA easily and I'm pretty sure USA in more homes than WGN. AM Raw on Sunday mornings draws good ratings for that time of night/morning. If it's on prime time then what day would this be on?

I thought everyone got WGN. It's a national cable network.

I don't get it. I'm in NY and I don't think we ever got it, at least on Time Warner.

Could actually be worth watching if the format is like "Livewire" when it was a call in show.

It won't be. It'll probably just be rehashes of stuff from RAW, ECW, and Smackdown. Kind of like how most of WWF's weekend shows used to be...they'd run replay stuff from Monday Night RAW on like three or four different shows, and pretend they were new episodes.

WWE announces details of WGN show

WWE and WGN America today released a few notes regarding the return of WWE Superstars, which will air on WGN America.

The show will air on Thursday nights at 8 p.m. and replayed at 11 p.m. Eastern time, as well as a weekend afternoon replay. WGN signed a two-year deal with WGN for the show, which will begin airing shortly after Wrestlemania.

No details have been announced, but it would probably mark the end of the bi-weekly Smackdown tapings that have been done as a cost-cutting measure, as WGN is paying an undisclosed sum for broadcasting rights. Taping an additional hour would necessitate three hour tapings on both Mondays and Tuesdays weekly to fill the six hours of first-run programming.

And WWE.coms's article - http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/wgnamericaenterwwering

The show will air on Thursday nights at 8 p.m

Notice it's going head-to-head with TNA. The wwe isn't going to accept losing to TNA even if it's their D-level show.

How is this going head to head? It ends when Impact begins.

The show will air on Thursday nights at 8 p.m

Notice it's going head-to-head with TNA. The wwe isn't going to accept losing to TNA even if it's their D-level show.

How is this going head to head? It ends when Impact begins.

I guess it won't then. I thought TNA aired from 8-10pm. I don't watch it when originally runs, though sometimes catch the replay.

I still think the competitive juices won't allow the wwe to lose the ratings war to TNA when the show airs on the same night. It will be interesting to see if the one-hour wwe show leads to wwe fans watching TNA the following two hours or it gives folks their wrestling fix and they ignore TNA. I mean if your a wrestling fan who watches both companies are you going to sit and watch three hours of wrestling in a block like that? Or will it have no noticeable effect at all?