TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agent of Oblivion

NFL Week 17

So Denver is self destructing on the field. I hope this momentum carries San Diego through the playoffs.

I keep hearing the Chargers are the one team that has the Colts # but I dont see it happening next week for them, even if it is in SD.

Denver's defense is sooo bad. Cutler's not playing great, but it's hard to lay all of this at his feet. He's getting no help from the other side of the ball.

Cleveland Browns in '85 were the other team, they said during one of the other games.

That can't be right since they had a shitty record that year and blew a 21-3 lead to Miami in the playoffs.

Cleveland Browns in '85 were the other team, they said during one of the other games.

That can't be right since they had a shitty record that year and blew a 21-3 lead to Miami in the playoffs.

Had the right year, wrong team...it was the Broncos. Cleveland in 1985 was the last time a .500 team won their division and went to the playoffs which is what SD is doing.

I believe it was one of those Broncos teams in the 80's cuz they referenced it the past couple weeks on NFL Primetime (with Tom Jackson being on that team and all).

Man, a lot of teams laid huge eggs today, with most of them needing a win to get in the playoffs or keep hope alive.

Let's see how the last week of predictions went:

1:00

STL @ ATL: Obvious beatdown as the Falcons are playing for the #2 seed and the division. No way is this one close. Atlanta by 20. (Wow, this one was close but the Falcons did manage to pull it out. 1 for 1)

CHI @ HOU: I have no idea what to think of the Texans. The Bears have everything to play for here but why is it I just don't see them getting it done? Houston by 3. (This one went about like I figured, Texans too much at home. 2 for 2)

NYG @ MIN: I don't really care much for the Vikings with Jackson at QB. This is a tough one since who knows what the Giants will do in terms of playing people, but if they do go all out I'll take NY by 7. (Well, I have to stick with this pick...2 for 3)

CAR @ NO: Here's an upset pick. After that insane OT game I just can't see Carolina getting up for this one, and the Saints are ultra tough at home. High scoring game, Saints pull it off 35-31. (Almost had the score right but the wrong team. Panthers at times have 9 lives. 2 for 4)

CLE @ PIT: Squash city. Even if the Steelers rest people they will still cruise here. Steelers by 16. (This one went exactly as expected. 3 for 5)

OAK @ TB: Okay Tampa, you have one shot left to get it done. It's the crappy Raiders, it's at home, but for whatever reason it won't be that easy. Tampa by 4. (Certainly wasn't easy and in fact wasn't a win at all. Tampa = biggest chokers in the league. 3 for 6)

TEN @ IND: Nothing game since both teams will likely rest starters. Colts never care about these games, so I'll take TN by 7. (Colts won a mostly meaningless game. 3 for 7)

DET @ GB: Historic game for all the wrong reasons. What the hell, just for fun I'll take the Lions by 1 point here on a last second FG. Then watch as GB releases everyone and fires the GM. (This was mostly a joke pick to see Detroit get a win, ah well. 3 for 8)

NE @ BUF: Bills may well have knocked Denver out of the playoffs last week. Doubt they can do the same here. Pats by 10. (Bizarre, windy game but went according to plan. 4 for 9)

KC @ CIN: What did the world do to deserve this one? Chiefs are somewhat better at a glance so I'll take KC by 6. (Bengals came on at the end of the season as usual to screw up their draft status. 4 for 10)

4:00

JAC @ BAL: Ravens need this one to get in the playoffs and the Jags likely couldn't care less. Baltimore by 12. (What's this, a team needing a win that took care of business? 5 for 11)

MIA @ NYJ: I mentioned a few weeks ago that I thought NE would win this division and I'll stick to that pick. Jets by 3, knocking Miami out and doing themselves no good either. (Dolpins keep proving me wrong week after week, but it's going to stop next week. 5 for 12)

SEA @ ARI: Doesn't really matter since the Cardinals are in, but they need to win this game to get back some semblance of credibility and finish 9-7. AZ by 10. (This one went about as expected, ho hum. 6 for 13)

WAS @ SF: Redskins shot their load last week to knock off the Eagles. Niners are doing fairly well under Singletary so I'll take them here by 5. (Niners rallied to go 7-9, solid finish for Singletary. 7 for 14)

DAL @ PHI: This is the prototypical game where Tony Romo will choke. Doesn't even matter if the Eagles are playing for nothing. Philly by 4. (Cowboys choked big time as a team here, ouch. 8 for 15)

Night game

DEN @ SD: The Broncos could make history here, being the only team ever to be up 3 with 3 to play and not make the playoffs. Chargers are playing well right now so I'll take them by 10, thus giving the Colts a much tougher opponent. (Ugh, did the world really need yet another Chargers/Colts matchup? Did the world need Colts/Broncos either for that matter? 9 for 16)

One last note on the Lions; they became the 1st team in NFL history to allow two 100-yard rushers and two 100-yard receivers in the same game (not to mention a 300-yard passer).

At least they didn't break the record for most points given up in a season though so there's that...

Citing a league source...

Is this the same source that saw the Rams walkthrough tape? The story is irrelevant after seeing those words. Unless the Pats, Brady or Brady's doctors say so, I'm taking any "report" of Brady's condition. If the team franchises Cassel, that'll probably say more than anything else.

EDIT: Apparently Peter King used his own "sources" and called the report bunk. We should ask Giselle; if all they are doing is cowgirl, then the knee is still bad. Doggystyle = improvement. Wheelbarrow = could play next week.

Edited by KingPK

This must be it for Shanahan, right?

Come on. This team finished exactly where they were supposed to. I said at the start of the season they'd finish 8-8. And 8-8 with pretty much every running back the team signed going on IR is pretty respectable. How are you supposed to win when every team knows you'll be throwing the ball on virtually every down?

Besides, Pat Bowlen LOVES Shanahan. No way is he not back next season. It'd be nice if they get someone who can coach some defence, though.

This must be it for Shanahan, right?

Come on. This team finished exactly where they were supposed to. I said at the start of the season they'd finish 8-8. And 8-8 with pretty much every running back the team signed going on IR is pretty respectable. How are you supposed to win when every team knows you'll be throwing the ball on virtually every down?

Besides, Pat Bowlen LOVES Shanahan. No way is he not back next season. It'd be nice if they get someone who can coach some defence, though.

Very well. This should be it, then, even though it likely won't be and I don't know who else is out there that would work anyway. It's really not this year alone, but the personnel decisions on his watch, one playoff win in a decade, and missing out on the playoffs entirely the last three seasons. After Sundquist was made the scapegoat, then if not for injuries, Shanahan wouldn't have an excuse. I also wouldn't consider some of their losses throughout the season and the way they finished out the year respectable or something to build on and look forward to.

I won't cry too hard about the Pats missing the playoffs this year it's almost a fitting bookend to how things went in 2008 starting with the 18-1 finish. Overall this season was bleak at times; it was still a hell of year and fun to watch. Just remember the last time they missed the playoffs they won the next two Super Bowls :P . Not that I expect that, but at least one would be nice.

As for Tom Curran's report, aside from Peter King refuting it, Jonathan Kraft did the same on a local station before the game Sunday. I'd figure a Kraft family member would be more reliable than a "league source".

Well, I'd also expect a Kraft family member to either 1) provide me with a healthy dose of cheese singles, or 2) be a little less than forthcoming about the status of the team's most important player heading into the offseason.