TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gary Floyd

TV on the Radio - Dear Science

TV On The Radio's Dear Science just replaced Portishead's Third as my favorite album of the year.

Guest C*Z*E*C*H

I was going to listen to that tonight but I'm not going to have time, I don't think. As I think I said already, Dave Sitek projects either amaze me or irritate the shit out of me with not a lot of middle ground.

I was gonna make a thread about that album but then I didn't. Anyway, it's pretty good. Nothing on it really reaches the stratospheric heights of "Wolf Like Me" or "Province" but it also never drags like Return to Cookie Mountain kinda did in its second half.

Dear Science is terrific. Still too soon for me to say how it stacks up against RTCM, which was my favorite release from 2006. The new album is a different kind of animal; less dense, looser, and even sort of sexy. There's also a couple of genuinely lovely ballads on it.

Well, actually, Boris I can get behind, but like... TV On the Radio. Yeah, I enjoy their stuff very much, but it's just... so what? I need more than music from my music. I suppose it's just my theatrical mindset.

I worked a fuckton over the weekend and have only now gotten to really dive into Dear Science. It is super-good. "Pummeling" is a good word for "Shout Me Out." I just really like the whole thing.

TVOTR's Kyp Malone is the only "well-known" musician I got to interview during my college radio tenure. He was a friendly, engaging guy. I almost got the chance to talk to Damo Suzuki, but, due to visa issues, he ended up having to leave the country a week before the interview.