TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jaxxson Mayhem

Valkyrie

I heard it was well-done, good acting from the supporting cast, and good tension, but Tom Cruise just sucked the life out of it and was horrible.

Which doesn't surprise me at all.

I dunno, it's almost like.

Agent: "Tom, people just don't like you, they think you're crazy."

Tom: "Well, what can I do? Who do people hate more than me?"

Agent: "I don't know...Hitler I suppose."

Tom: "hmmm"

I'm just not too interested in the movie

Accents are a mistake. It's suspension of disbelief anyway, I don't feel trying to meet it halfway adds anything at all.

Not that this has anything in particular to do with this movie.

Tom Cruise already had my faith back in him, the problem I have with this movie is that it's sold as a tense suspense thriller. The true story deserves to be told, but should be more of an introspective drama.

The accent thing bothers me, it really does. I also get bothered when a movie takes place in a foreign country, say Mexico...maybe even just a few scenes take place in that country...and everyone talks in accented, sometimes broken English to each other. I understand suspending disbelief, I watch wrestling for christ's sake, but if I'm watching two Mexicans in Juarez talking to each other, they should be speaking Spanish. Traffic, for example, is a movie that did it correctly, with Benicio Del Toro's entire story arc in Spanish.

I know, it's petty...overall it doesn't stop me from watching a movie...but it's one of those things that rattles around in my head as I watch.

As for Cruise, I've never lost faith in him...as weird and lame a human being as he is offscreen, he's been in tons of movies that I love, movies I've grown up on.

It isn't just Cruise though. The rest of the cast seem like a bunch of British guys playing Germans, which gives the vibe of a war drama where the Allies impersonate Nazis in order to kill Hitler, rather than actual Germans turning on Hitler.

Accents are a mistake. It's suspension of disbelief anyway, I don't feel trying to meet it halfway adds anything at all.

This looks like a pretty bad movie, though. At least Tom Cruise affecting an awkward German accent would have been good for some laughs.

is looks like a pretty bad movie, though. At least Tom Cruise affecting an awkward German accent would have been good for some laughs.

Just saw it last night and yeah...him attempting the accent was definitly great. Not having heard of the story before, I definitly enjoyed the movie. For those that saw the movie and know about the real operation Valkyrie, was that really how close they got to overthrowing HItler or did the movie stretch it?

Also, the actor that played Hitler was great.

It isn't just Cruise though. The rest of the cast seem like a bunch of British guys playing Germans, which gives the vibe of a war drama where the Allies impersonate Nazis in order to kill Hitler, rather than actual Germans turning on Hitler.

That was by biggest complaint about the film. 95% of the cast didn't even try. A cheesy Col. Klink type accent would have been an improvment. It reminded me of all the British actors in Enemy at the Gates. And Cruise was pretty wooden. I felt like I was watching Tom Cruise in a Nazi outfit for two hours, not Stauffenberg. Though according to this bust on wiki, I guess he looked a lot like Tom Cruise:

PICT4156.JPG

Overwise I thought it was a well paced, informative, and fairly accurate historical drama. I'd give it 8/10.

It seemed like a lot of pepole were complaining that it wasn't much of an action flick when I was walking out. So if your expecting that kind of thing you'll be disapointed.It's a conspiracy flick.

Well, the bust is a little vague. Eh, I really don't think Cruise bares anything more than a vague passing resembalance, mostly cause their chins and noses are so damn different. Odd, since that was such a strong selling point for his casting. He just doesn't look offensively unlike the real guy and they seem to share the same barber. Though not really a big deal, Stauffenberg was also said to be in the tall six foot range while Cruise is of shorter stature even in lifts.

Cruise-Valkyrie_795839c.jpg