TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agent of Oblivion

The 2009 NFL Offseason

Seattle signed WR Billy McMullen (Had 7 catches for 124 yards last year with Seattle) and TE John Tereshinski (At one time a project at TE for San Diego)

Tampa Bay signed WR Kelly Campbell. He had 25 catches for 522 yards in 2003 with Minnesota.

Some really minor "camp bodies" news

- Philadelphia signed WR Danny Amendola (Texas Tech) to their practice squad. He was originally signed by the Dallas Cowboys.

- St. Louis signed WR Joel Filani (Texas Tech). He was released by the Tennessee Titans early last year.

I don't care how long Favre takes to make decisions. What I cannot stand is that ESPN will be covering it as a big story every fucking day until he does.

Brett Favre makes them do that.

Guest Vitamin X
Am I the only one thinking Shanahan might take a high profile college job, should one pop up?

I could see that, but are there any real powerhouses out there that are looking to dump their coach after a subpar year? Tennessee filled their void, and no other school really seems like they are rebuilding or they already got their man.

Boston College? Not a powerhouse, but Shanny could do some work there now..

Am I the only one thinking Shanahan might take a high profile college job, should one pop up?

I could see that, but are there any real powerhouses out there that are looking to dump their coach after a subpar year? Tennessee filled their void, and no other school really seems like they are rebuilding or they already got their man.

Boston College? Not a powerhouse, but Shanny could do some work there now..

So BC really shitcanned JJ? Yeah, then I could see Shanny going there, they are a big enough named school to be able to maybe pique his interest, and he could get them over that edge to a traditional powerhouse.

In order to get paid the rest of his contract, doesn't Shanahan have to look for a job?

I thought so too, but it's not looking like it from what I've been reading.

Considering his track record, having a cell phone probably counts as "seeking a job"; there isn't a team in the land with a coaching vacancy that isn't going to give him serious consideration.

I think the offense will be fine under McDaniels...

Cutler has a rocket for an arm so he can take advantage of the deep throws but also did fine in 2008 (When Shanahan tried to emulate the 2007 Patriots scheme). Brandon Marshall, Tony Scheffler, and Eddie Royal all have the ability to gain YAC so they can be utilized on the quick short routes of the 6-8 yard strikes.

The biggest question mark is the running game. Tatum Bell flashes speed but not much else and may not be able to block well enough to be a 3rd down back. Peyton Hillis could be used in a Heath Evans role as an H-Back and Andre Hall/Selvin Young have both flashed talent despite constant injuries.

I could see McDaniels going with a similar 4 headed RBBC as he did in New England.

- Ryan Torain: 6'0" and 222

- Selvin Young: 5'11" and 215

- Andre Hall: 5'9" and 205 (3rd Down Back?)

- PJ Pope: 5'9" and 212 (3rd Down Back?)

I think the offense will be fine under McDaniels...

The offence was never a concern to start with, although having an offensive-minded head coach will hopefully keep it as prolific as it has been. The defence is horrible, one of the worst in the entire league, and should be the primary concern.

I guess the cross was really calling Tony, because how many coaches in the NFL would leave a Hall of Fame Quarterback behind in their prime? Anyways, he had a good career, he had some great teams with the Bucs and Colts that couldn't get over the hump. But, he won his Super Bowl and got out on his own terms. Not too many guys can do that in sports nowadays.

Well, if Mikey S wanted an established AFC team that has all the talented pieces waiting with a potentially dangerous running back then it just became open.

As much as I used to loathe the Colts, I never disliked Tony Dungy. Always thought he was one of the best if not the best coach in the NFL.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

No chance Shannahan moves in there. Jim Caldwell has been the heir apparent for a few seasons.

So long, Dungy. The guy is undoubtedly one of the most important figures in the whole weird and ridiculous history of the Tampa Bay Bucs. It's a testament to the guy's sheer naked awfulness as a postseason coach that he didn't manage to get any more rings out of the great teams he had both in Tampa and Indy. But a great regular season coach, as well as one of the all-time great men to ever be associated with pro football. Hope he enjoys retirement.

Jerry Reese is leaving the door open for a Plaxico return in '09. I don't see that happening.

I'd hoped that they would cut him and try to recoup as much of his bonus as was allowable by the league for ruining this season. They should probably let whichever guy wants more money between Jacobs and Ward go because Jacobs is injury prone and Ward is 28, and try to swing a deal for Boldin or sign Whosyourmama to be the new #1 WR because right now all we have are a bunch of unproven guys (Hixon/Manningham/Moss), a 73 year old Amani Toomer, Kevin Boss and the other Steve Smith.

Guest Vitamin X

Lame. I thought he had the Green Bay job? This isn't good news. Wonder who the Packers are going to be looking at now..

Draft News... Shrine game which will be played at 4 PM ET on Saturday (01/17) with coverage supplied by ESPN2.

Notable names to watch for

East: QB Chase Daniel, RB Tyrell Sutton, RB Marlon Lucky, OL Alex Boone

West: WR Sammie Stroughter, RB Ian Johnson, WR Jarett Dillard