TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agent of Oblivion

The 2009 NFL Offseason

It's a good thing he's black. They can't just give these jobs to white guys, you know. They have to interview people that have no chance of getting the job to in some way not make the whole process a joke. ... Yeah. I think that's why.

Guest Czech please!

The Bears cryptodemoted Bob Babich. He'll be coaching the linebackers, but he will remain defensive coordinator, but Lovie will take a "more hands-on" role in running the defense. So basically Babich is now the linebackers coach and Lovie is the defensive coordinator. It's always so easy with these guys.

Pioli to join the Chiefs

This will probably mean the end of Herm Edwards as head coach. I've heard Spagnuolo's name mentioned as a possibility to replace him.

On paper, this looks like a very good hire. Pioli has a fabulous reputation for what he helped build in New England, but as always when dealing with the Patriots it's hard to know how much was him and how much was Belichick.

Jerry Reese is leaving the door open for a Plaxico return in '09. I don't see that happening.

I'd hoped that they would cut him and try to recoup as much of his bonus as was allowable by the league for ruining this season. They should probably let whichever guy wants more money between Jacobs and Ward go because Jacobs is injury prone and Ward is 28, and try to swing a deal for Boldin or sign Whosyourmama to be the new #1 WR because right now all we have are a bunch of unproven guys (Hixon/Manningham/Moss), a 73 year old Amani Toomer, Kevin Boss and the other Steve Smith.

It seems like local sports radio expects Jacobs to be franchised and Ward to be turned loose. The two are great friends, so I don't think they're happy about that.

Giants fans also seem to be coming around by and large to the fact that Plax is, unfortunately, needed (I, too, underestimated just how valuable he was). I want them to show him the door--since the right thing isn't always the easy or most popular thing--but smart money's on him getting another chance in NY. Apparantly we need an elite wideout more than we need a lack of headaches. Of course, this all depends on him keeping his ass out of jail, which certainly isn't a given.

It's a good thing he's black. They can't just give these jobs to white guys, you know. They have to interview people that have no chance of getting the job to in some way not make the whole process a joke. ... Yeah. I think that's why.

Even though Caldwell is Black, dont they have to interview a minority coaching candidate anyway just because?

Even though Caldwell is Black, dont they have to interview a minority coaching candidate anyway just because?

I don't see why they would.

Hey, we have to interview a minority, to hire a minority. Unless since they are looking at a black guy, they have to go interview a latino or Norm Chow.

Actually, I think by promoting from within they don't have to go through the minority interview process. I know Wilbon is always raging on PTI that this practice was designed to subvert the Rooney rule. I don't necessarily by that line of thinking for one simple reason: it's always better to promote from within than to go through a long and arduous coaching search.

I don't think they can promote from within without interviewing a minority candidate. Mike Singletary was allowed to keep his interim job after the promotion and become head coach without any other interviewees...but The Rams weren't allowed to have that agreement with Haslett that if the team turned around his interim job would become permanent.

If the Giants keep Plax around, it's like giving the guy free reign to do whatever he wants, whenever he wants. All the bullshit he pulled this year, the contract stuff through the summer, which they caved to right before the opening game. Then he goes and acts like a moron, breaking team rules and ends up suspended two different times, leading up to the night club incident where he was suspended a third time, ending his season. When is enough enough? What kind of a message does it send to the rest of the team if this guy is still in blue in 2009? I think it's a road they don't want to start down, and I think the Maras will make the right move and cut ties with the big guy and move forward with someone else, FA/trade/draft or otherwise. I have full faith in Jerry Reese to restock again this offseason and have the team ready to contend again next fall, with somebody other than Plaxico Burress wearing jersey number 17.

If Plax comes back and the Giants were to win the SB, I would be incredibly disappointed that they let that scumbag back on the team. I know that you're supposed to root for the jersey and not the names on the back, but I cannot support a guy who ruined a season for entirely selfish reasons. I don't think I'd be able to enjoy any success they had in the future if he was part of it.

I doubt that.

And people exaggerate what he did. Okay, so he shot himself. So what? Cheddar Bob shot himself in 8 mile and everyone still loved him. It's not like he hurt anyone else.

I doubt that.

And people exaggerate what he did. Okay, so he shot himself. So what? Cheddar Bob shot himself in 8 mile and everyone still loved him. It's not like he hurt anyone else.

He only ruined a chance to repeat as champions for the entire organization. Going to a club with a gun cost the other 52 players as well as all of the coaches, owners, etc. He may have physically wounded only himself, but he hurt everyone else associated with the Giants.

So what better way to help them than by suiting up next year?

Fuck him. He's already been fined about 50 times, suspended three times and cost the team a chance to repeat. He doesn't deserve a 54th chance. I hope he does 3 1/2 years just like a normal person would and the Giants get back most of his bonus.

ESPN Radio reports that Giants brass must already be forgetting Sunday's helicopter passes and are focusing on Super Bowl XLII's Miracle Play instead, as they're expected to offer Eli Manning a 7- or 8-year extention worth up to $120 Million.

Lions need to draft Michael Crabtree... talents like that don't come around every year.

I would agree if the QB and Defensive Line weren't such big needs. Calvin Johnson is one of the best recievers in the league already and I'm not sure if they need another big play reciever.

And who knows, Michael Crabtree could turn out like Charles Rogers, Troy Williamson, Mike Willams, Michael Westbrook etc.

Lions need to draft Michael Crabtree... talents like that don't come around every year.

I would agree if the QB and Defensive Line weren't such big needs. Calvin Johnson is one of the best recievers in the league already and I'm not sure if they need another big play reciever.

And who knows, Michael Crabtree could turn out like Charles Rogers, Troy Williamson, Mike Willams, Michael Westbrook etc.

That was a little thing people like to call sarcasm......

It looks like Rex Ryan will become the new Jets head coach.

Ehhhh losing Marvin Lewis wasn't a huge blow so I'll hope for the best for him.

Former Ravens coaches dont exactly have the greatest track records, though they start off good where ever they go after the Ravens. I fully expect Singletary to suffer the same fate, and probably Brian Billick too if he decides he wants to coach again instead of call games and do really dumb beer commercials. Rex Ryan will probably have a good first year for the Jets though.

The Giants don't really need to bring Plax back. They'll be in an excellent position to draft Kenny Britt with their early second round pick, and Kenny Britt is basically just Plaxico Burress without any attitude problems.

The Giants don't really need to bring Plax back. They'll be in an excellent position to draft Kenny Britt with their early second round pick, and Kenny Britt is basically just Plaxico Burress without any attitude problems.

Yet. Seems like a massive amount of receivers come out of college without one then suddenly develop one after three or four good seasons. Attitude I'm sure teams can learn to live with (unless it's a T.O attitude) but breaking the law and putting the team in a horrible position because you are suspended, that's a problem.