TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agent of Oblivion

The 2009 NFL Offseason

Boldin isn't really the guy you want if you're looking for a primarily long ball solution, but he would be a tremendous addition to the Ravens, as he would be to any team. Especially since I'm pretty sure Derrick Mason's arm is just going to fall off tomorrow.

What does everyone think about the Ravens going after LT this offseason? The consensus is they aren't a bad choice considering they have Cam Cameron and maybe Lorenzo Neal to block for him for at least 1 year. Doubtful that the chargers would take McGahee back in the deal, so the Ravens would need to find a suitor for the disgruntled McGahee which doesn't seem likely so the whole thing isn't likely, but anyway.

I also wonder about the long rumored Suggs for Boldin trade, which might be more appealing to both sides now. The Ravens wont be able to keep all 3 off Ray Lewis, Bart Scott and Suggs this offseason and I figure Ray Lewis will resign for a final time and Bart Scott or Suggs could be Franchises, but Suggs would have the most trade value and Boldin would fill a huge hole and give Flacco someone who he could throw his deep ball to.

Why would we trade for LT? Thats a Jerry Jones idea right there...right now we have a good running game with Rice, McClain, and McGahee....we really don't need to add any more money to that. That's not a position we need to focus on, and theres no reason to get LT. Cat can still run, yeah, but he keeps getting injured. When it comes to RB, younger is better.

Suggs isnt going anywheres...Bart Scott is the least needed of the 3, and I have a feeling Jameel McClain is getting prepped to take his place.

It'd be great if the Lions could get Scott (he's a Detroit native), but I'm not holding my breath on them getting any quality free agents.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Terrell Suggs in an unrestricted free agent as of right now. What's with the idea of using him as trade bait?

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Sure, if some dimwit is willing to give up two first round picks for him. Any player saddled with the franchise tag is, by definition, not worth that kind of price. Any players that really are worth 2 1sts are most certainly locked into long-term deals.

Compounding complications there include a free agent market rich in D-linemen, and a few first-class day-one talents in the draft.

The most likely scenario is Suggs is franchised, Lewis is resigned, and Scott is let go. They may pick up a WR in free agency but a big name like Boldin or TJ it won't be. This is a team that builds via the draft, so i don't expect too many off season moves beyond the draft. If they make any moves, I'd like them to go after Jordan Gross, Asomugha, Dunta Robinson, or Bryant Johnson

Oh man they'd be even more scary if they would get someone like Dunta, or Asomugha.

especially Asomugha.....he strikes fear into the hearts of QBs and there is no way, no way, he is staying a Raider.

If the Ravens went with Asomugha/Fabian Washington as their starting CBs, I would be fairly happy...

I know there is a ton of Raiders fans around here...any news on the new head coach?

edit:check out http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2009.php pretty interesting mock draft

Well helloooo offseason!

I would like for my Ravens to acquire a proven WR via FA or trade. Rookie WRs take too long to develop.

The draft should be used to reload on D (CB, DE,and LB), and to find Heap's eventual replacement at TE.

CFL Invading! Dolphins signed OLB/DE Cameron Wake to a four-year, $4.9 million contract. The deal includes $1 million guaranteed.

The Bengals have reportedly approached Ravens QBs coach Hue Jackson about becoming their next offensive coordinator.

New Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo is expected to target Eagles QBs coach Pat Shurmur to be his offensive coordinator.

As a Bengals fan I would like to say THANK GOD, that Bob Bratkowski is going to get fired. Too many weapons to be so conservative. I hope Hue Jackson becomes the new O Coordinator.

Oh man they'd be even more scary if they would get someone like Dunta, or Asomugha.

especially Asomugha.....he strikes fear into the hearts of QBs and there is no way, no way, he is staying a Raider.

they're probably going to franchise him

Rex Ryan, Court-Appointed Lawyer is on the job!

I'm very happy with the decision, partly because I think Ryan is a great fit, mostly because the position isn't going to Brian Schottenheimer.

Do the Ravens now regret passing on Ryan for head coach, now that he's gone to the Jets? Harbaugh was good but a lot of that was keeping Ryan on as D-coord.

Ravens D-cords come and go, and we never seem to be affected by it....Maybe Romeo Crennel will come and be it?

Still heart broken over the Eagles lost but it's time for the healing process to begin and try to look for ways to improve our team for the next season.

We desprately need a big name WR! Someone to compilment the developing DeSean Jackson, and put Kevin Curtis where he is the most effective as a 3rd WR. The biggest name on the market is T.J. Houshmandzadeh, who had a alright year last season considering who was the QB throwing him the ball. He could be alot more effective with Donovan McNabb throwing him the ball, boosting up our WR depth. Anquan Boldin wants out of Arizona, and who knows whats the deal with Chad Johnson, but Chad Johnson in the past has said that he is good friends with McNabb and would want to play there.

A power RB is needed as well to compliment Westbrook. Lorenzo Booker was a huge dissapointment, and Buckhalter is a poor mans Westbrook which isnt what we need. Brandon Jacobs could greatly help but considering how cheap the Eagles are, they wont sign him.

OL needs improvement as well, which Andy Reid will address it in the draft like he does every year.

Guest Vitamin X

It's official now. Dom Capers is the Packers' new defensive coordinator. He's the classic terrible head coach, amazing coordinator we've seen like with Norv Turner and Gregg Williams. He's actually commented that he might not be interested in a head coaching job anyways, so if anything happens, he'll stick around as defensive coordinator (although of course, money talks so who knows).

I'm pretty excited- there's some rumors going around that he'll employ something of a 3-4 defense which, although there a lot of people who say the Packers don't have the defensive personnel for it, I'd have to disagree with a little bit. First off, Green Bay has a lot more depth in the linebacking corps than they did on the defensive line, especially talent-wise. Second, guys like Michael Montgomery and Jason Thompson are playing defensive end with limited success, probably because they weigh like 245. And Green Bay's secondary, when healthy, is definitely able to handle a blitz scheme. And having both Hawk and Barnett in the middle with a couple speedsters on the outside will be really interesting. Barnett is a lot like a Randy Gradishar type MLB- big hitter, usually a big playmaker, and probably better on the inside with someone else than on his own where he frequently gets run over.

Either way, pretty excited about the hire. Rumor is that the 3-4 defense will actually be a bit of a hybrid with the current 4-3 just so the learning curve and time to put in a new system won't take too long. If anything, this certainly gives the Packers more reason to pursue a hybrid OLB/DE like Suggs or a huge nosetackle like Albert Haynesworth now as well.

Baltimore Sun is reporting that the Cowboys are going after Ray Lewis and offer him 3 years 24 million guaranteed.

I will cry for many hours if he takes this deal.

That was a really loose translation on YKRG's part of what was stated in the Baltimore Sun article. It states that unnamed "sources" think that Jones will go after Lewis if he makes it to free agency and that a reasonable offer could be three years with $25 million guaranteed. There was nothing even remotely indicating that an offer is on the table in any way, shape or form.

Linky goodness

Still heart broken over the Eagles lost but it's time for the healing process to begin and try to look for ways to improve our team for the next season.

We desprately need a big name WR! Someone to compilment the developing DeSean Jackson, and put Kevin Curtis where he is the most effective as a 3rd WR. The biggest name on the market is T.J. Houshmandzadeh, who had a alright year last season considering who was the QB throwing him the ball. He could be alot more effective with Donovan McNabb throwing him the ball, boosting up our WR depth. Anquan Boldin wants out of Arizona, and who knows whats the deal with Chad Johnson, but Chad Johnson in the past has said that he is good friends with McNabb and would want to play there.

A power RB is needed as well to compliment Westbrook. Lorenzo Booker was a huge dissapointment, and Buckhalter is a poor mans Westbrook which isnt what we need. Brandon Jacobs could greatly help but considering how cheap the Eagles are, they wont sign him.

OL needs improvement as well, which Andy Reid will address it in the draft like he does every year.

the problems aren't with any of the eagles wide receivers, the loss was all mcnabb. he was missing his targets like crazy. there were at least two times that he missed easy 10 yard passes that woulda been big plays and possibly touchdowns. there just has to be a point when the eagles just let him go. he isn't what he used to be, and even then, he wasn't the best.

and antwon, you can't expect your team to go out and sign the two biggest names on the free agent market. the eagles aren't the yankees, and this is the nfl.

the problems aren't with any of the eagles wide receivers, the loss was all mcnabb. he was missing his targets like crazy. there were at least two times that he missed easy 10 yard passes that woulda been big plays and possibly touchdowns. there just has to be a point when the eagles just let him go. he isn't what he used to be, and even then, he wasn't the best.

and antwon, you can't expect your team to go out and sign the two biggest names on the free agent market. the eagles aren't the yankees, and this is the nfl.

Figures someone would come in here and put the blame all on McNabb's shoulder, despite him being the main reason they were able to make a comeback in the 2nd half. Sure he made a couple of bad plays in which he could've took back but overall he played a very good game, throwing for 375 yards and 3 touchdowns. How about putting some of the blame on the defense of underachieving and letting the Cardinals regain the lead to win the game, and getting 32 points scored on them? Or how about blaming Jim Johnson for abandoning the gameplan that got him to the NFC Championship, the very good blitzing attack of the Eagles? Or how about the very catchable ball that Kevin Curtis should've had in the clutch that would've counted as a 1st down?

But of course we're going back to blaming McNabb because he made a few bad passes in the 1st half of the game, and lets completely ignore the fact he tore it up in the 2nd half leading a great comeback, and an almost victory. McNabb had one of his BEST seasons in his career this year stat wise, and he isn't what he use to be? You're a moron.

And for the record, Eagles always have great cap space, but the problem is they are too cheap to use it for the most part. They can afford 2 big name free agents if they want to, but knowning how cheap the Eagles have been in the past, it likely wont happen.

them losing wasn't mcnabb's fault. but he did lay an egg in the first half which hurt them greatly. just tryin to say the wide receivers weren't to blame at all. curtis got tugged down on the "catchable" ball.

mcnabb was awful during various stretches this year. including parts of the playoffs.