TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agent of Oblivion

The 2009 NFL Offseason

Guest Vitamin X

Simeon Rice sheds some insight on Jon Gruden's reign as coach.

"You look at what he did when Chris [simms] damn near died on the field he wanted to release him right when he got injured. I get hurt, my shoulder's torn off the bone. This dude releases me. You know what I mean? I'm your guy. The list goes on. Keenan McCardell, that situation was a debacle. Keyshawn Johnson, another situation [that] was a debacle. Joey Galloway, which was his man, was in the dog house all year because he got injured, broke his ankle or whatever. Brad Johnson, that situation was bad. Brings Jeff Garcia in here,

oh, he's going to change things. I helped recruit him [and he] released me, kept Jeff and then put him in the dog house. Gets rid of Brian Greise, brings him, starts a controversy. It was chaotic. I'm giving you facts."

And then Rice gave opinions.

"How I feel personally? I could tell you that, too. I think he's a scumbag," Rice said. "I think he's a scumbag personally. That's when he's telling you one thing and… You know what he told me? 'Simeon you'll be here in the next five years.' I got injured [and] this man's never said one word to me. I won a Super Bowl for you. I got 13 sacks, 12, 15 every year for you. I balled. I got injured [and] you let me go like it was nothing."

And despite having the 32nd ranked offense in the league, the Bengals have not fired OC Bob Bratkowski yet. Odds are they won't. My hopes for success next season quite honestly revolve around this man being fired and replaced and the drafting of a franchise left tackle and center.

And despite having the 32nd ranked offense in the league, the Bengals have not fired OC Bob Bratkowski yet. Odds are they won't. My hopes for success next season quite honestly revolve around this man being fired and replaced and the drafting of a franchise left tackle and center.

To be fair to the guy, his quarterback last season for the most part was Ryan Fitzpatrick and his running back ended up being Cedric Benson. That's a lot to overcome offensively so that might be what they are looking at in terms of why he wasn't fired.

And don't the Bengals really need a running back? Chris Perry is probably not it, Cedric Benson I doubt is it (and might not even be re-signed) and so that is looking like a gap to fill as well.

Thought this was an interesting find... Note: Draft results from 2001 - 2007

Scouts Inc. marked each first-round player as having exceeded, met or failed to meet expectations. The categories were broad enough to head off debate in most cases, yet powerful enough to produce useful information when harnessed collectively.

Overall, 169 of the 254 first-round selections (66.5 percent) have met or exceeded expectations. Twenty-four percent exceeded expectations. One-third failed to measure up.

Receivers failed to meet expectations 52.4 percent of the time, surpassing quarterbacks (47.6 percent) for the highest rate of failure.

Based on the findings, teams holding the seventh through 10th overall choices should exercise extreme caution before drafting a receiver in those slots. Teams hoping to find quality defensive backs with the 21st through 32nd choices should also beware. And any team looking for a defensive end with the 16th through 20th choices might want to say a prayer first.

For while making wise use of first-round draft selections does not ensure success, repeatedly botching those choices essentially guarantees failure.

That's where you can really get hammered," Carolina Panthers coach John Fox said. "Especially if it's a real early pick, because you're paying that guy like a future Hall of Famer and he hasn't played a down yet."

A look at what the past eight drafts can tell teams as they balance needs with value heading into the 2008 draft:

The safest positions

1. Interior offensive line

2. Linebacker

3. Tight end

4. Defensive tackle, offensive tackle and running back.

The high-risk positions

1. Receiver.

2. Quarterback

2. Defensive backs taken 26th to 32nd overall

Five of the 10 failed to meet expectations. Only Oakland's Nnamdi Asomugha, drafted 31st overall in 2003, has exceeded expectations within that range since 2000. Disappointments included Jamar Fletcher, Mike Rumph, Andre Woolfolk, Derrick Gibson and Sammy Davis.

The 21st through 25th overall spots also produced five disappointments in NFL secondaries. Eleven defensive backs have been drafted in this range, with two becoming Pro Bowl players: cornerback Nate Clements and safety Ed Reed.

3. Defensive ends taken 16th to 20th overall

Four of the eight have failed to meet expectations. None has exceeded expectations. Bad luck might be to blame. Jarvis Moss, David Pollack and Kenechi Udeze experienced injuries or health issues early in their careers.

4. Quarterbacks taken among the top 10 overall

Ten of the 40 players drafted among the top five since 2000 have exceeded expectations. None was a quarterback. Four of the nine quarterbacks drafted that early have yet to meet expectations.

Byron Leftwich and Matt Leinart are the only quarterbacks drafted sixth through 10th overall since 2000. Both have fallen below expectations set by Scouts Inc.

5. Receivers drafted 26th to 32nd

Four of the eight receivers drafted in this range have failed to meet expectations. Only one -- the Colts' Wayne -- exceeded them.

Five safe havens

1. Defensive backs drafted fifth overall and 11th through 15th

Chargers cornerback Quentin Jammer has justified his No. 5 overall selection with solid play for San Diego.NFL teams drafted three defensive backs among the top five -- Sean Taylor, Terence Newman and Quentin Jammer -- and all three justified the investment. Each was the fifth player chosen in his draft class. Taylor was named to the most recent Pro Bowl posthumously.

Expectations were met or exceeded by all five defensive backs drafted 11th to 15th: Marcus Trufant, Darrelle Revis, Thomas Davis, Tye Hill and Deltha O'Neal. Trufant picked off seven passes last season. O'Neal disappointed in Denver, but he has two seasons with at least nine picks.

2. Linebackers drafted ninth to 12th overall

NFL teams found six linebackers in this range without making a bad choice. Brian Urlacher, Patrick Willis and Shawne Merriman exceeded expectations. Ernie Sims, Dan Morgan and Jonathan Vilma have played well enough to justify their draft status, Scouts Inc. determined.

3. Running backs drafted 19th to 25th overall

NFL teams found five running backs in this range, and all met or exceeded expectations: Steven Jackson, Deuce McAllister, Willis McGahee, Laurence Maroney and Shaun Alexander.

4. Offensive tackles drafted third to 18th overall

Six of 12 drafted in this range exceeded expectations. Only two -- Mike Williams and Kenyatta Walker -- failed to measure up.

Joe Thomas, Chris Samuels, Bryant McKinnie, Jammal Brown, Shawn Andrews and Jeff Backus exceeded expectations.

5. Guards and centers drafted in the second half of the round

NFL teams have drafted nine of them in the first round, all after the 16th pick, and none has disappointed.

Steve Hutchinson, Nick Mangold and Logan Mankins have exceeded expectations. Hutchinson is a perennial Pro Bowl choice. The others have become solid or promising starters.

To be fair to the guy, his quarterback last season for the most part was Ryan Fitzpatrick and his running back ended up being Cedric Benson. That's a lot to overcome offensively so that might be what they are looking at in terms of why he wasn't fired.

And don't the Bengals really need a running back? Chris Perry is probably not it, Cedric Benson I doubt is it (and might not even be re-signed) and so that is looking like a gap to fill as well.

True, Ryan Fitzpatrick is a pretty bad QB, but in my eyes, if you're an OC worth your salt, you call plays based on what your QB can do and not what they can't. And if you know that your line has two really big holes and does not run block very well, your first two plays of every drive shouldn't be a run up the middle. Also Cedric Benson was surprisingly very good for us, his style fits what the team was looking for in a starter (tough, downhill runner). I'm hoping we resign him.

Pretty quiet on the Redskins news, however one thing that will be addressed sooner then later is the cornerback situation.

From the looks of it, the Redskins are going to offer DeAngelo Hall a handsome contract. This would essentially push either Springs or Rogers to 3rd CB/nickel corner. From the mumbles coming out of the organization it sounds like Springs would be given the starting nod because when healthy, he is still the best corner on the team even at his older age and fragile state. The key phrase is "when healthy" Ever since the Skins picked him up he has been pretty much a lockdown corner when he has played, but he has missed a lot of games due to injury and he makes a lot of money only to be playing half the time. Also at his age a "nagging injury" turns into him missing 6-8 weeks in a row instead of 2-4.

With this said, Carlos Rogers is supposedly not happy with the prospect of not being a starter.

So, everything is really at a stand-still until DeAngelo Hall is either signed, or told he wants too much money because whether or not he signs with the team probably determines whether Carlos Rogers is a Redskin in 2009.

Carlos Rogers is a good cover-corner but he has hands of stone. I have seen at least two times he has had a chance to make game-changing pick-six INTs and they just bounce off his chest(One against Seattle in the playoffs in 2005, and one this season on MNF vs. Steelers).

He is still very young though and would probably garner a lot of interest around the league. I guess it would depend on how confident the Skins staff is in their depth.

Personally, I'd love to have all three because it would make this secondary deep as hell, with having Smoot as another nickel corner, Horton at SS, and Landry at FS......another year of this secondary together, WOW, but the reality is it probably won't happen.

It really doesn't sound too good. They had a doctor come on DNL last night when it first broke and his analysis basically came across as "Well....um...it hasn't spread to his brain so he at least has that." Let's just say I am glad nobody signed Sean McDermott away from the staff.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Johnson is reportedly drawing up a blitz scheme for his team of oncologists.

Some notes/news...

- The Vikings are reportedly interested in getting QB Tarvaris Jackson involved in Mixed Martial Arts this offseason to improve his hip work.

I've seen offensive linemen (and defensive linemen) mention that they've used martial arts as a form to increase their hand technique (one example came from the 1999 Rams "America's Game" show on NFL Network). Not sure that this will help Jackson much.

- New offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye believes RB Frank Gore has the "capability to carry the ball 25 times (a game)."

There's a difference between capability and production. The past 3 years he's averaged 20, 17, and 17 carries a game. Not sure his health would allow him to carry the ball 25 times a game and if he were completely healthy, that would be 400 carries on the year. I could see him around 19-20 carries a game on the high end (16 game season = 304-320 carries).

It isn't to work on his hips as much as they want him to learn how to defend a takedown. The Chris Clemons chokeslam on him in the playoffs showed he has no takedown defense.

Jackson isn't made for MMA. He's a karate man!

"The next defender that comes at you free, sweep the leg and hit the check down receiver."

I agree about Coach Brat. My problem with him is the conservative play calls and the unwillingness to utilize (scout and draft or get via FA) a pass catching TE. I think part of it is that Marvin loves to run the ball so much, but I just don't think Brat utilizes his strengths enough.

I am guessing the Bengals may be a little gun-shy on a First Day RB since they have taken two in the last 5 drafts. One is off of the team (Kenny Irons) and the other SHOULD be out the door (Chris Perry).

I didn't realize how badly the Cards probably needed to win the Super Bowl this year. Usually you can say "Well, they have talent so maybe they can get back next year" but damn...a LOT of key free agents!

QB- Kurt Warner

RB- Edge James (just leaving), J.J Arrington

FB- Terrelle Smith

WR- Anquan Boldin (annoyed, already has requested trades)

TE- Leonard Pope, Ben Patrick and Stephen Spach

C- All of em

DE- Bertrand Berry

LBs- Monty Biesel, Karlos Dansby

Warner is either going to retire or they might look at this as a way to hand over the keys. Tim Hightower looks set to be the guy at running back and Arrington was essentially a return man and expendable. Losing Boldin might be ok if Breaston develops more and they find another to fit the three wide set. They need Pope and Patrick back, they are solid blockers and Patrick proved in the Super Bowl he can catch a very tough ball. Berry and Dansby are must signs to me, you cannot lose the two anchors in the front 7.

It'll be interesting to see how the Bidwell clan and Hunt handle this. While some are not a big deal to lose, some of those losses could be devastating.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

They're going to sell the farm. No sense in paying ALL of those guys. Warner and Edge are goners, Boldin will be unless they pay him some absurd amount of money. They're going to suck next season.

I agree about Coach Brat. My problem with him is the conservative play calls and the unwillingness to utilize (scout and draft or get via FA) a pass catching TE. I think part of it is that Marvin loves to run the ball so much, but I just don't think Brat utilizes his strengths enough.

I am guessing the Bengals may be a little gun-shy on a First Day RB since they have taken two in the last 5 drafts. One is off of the team (Kenny Irons) and the other SHOULD be out the door (Chris Perry).

Utech was supposed to be that pass-catching TE and he seemed to do well in pre-season, but when the regular season started he contracted "Hands of Stone" and was dropping everything thrown his way. Then he got injured. I'm hoping this season he's show that he's not worthless. But yeah, Brat definitely doesn't use the team's strengths.

Personally, I wouldn't look at a first day RB either unless the Bengals address the issue at center in Free Agency. That's what I'd prefer them to do. If they pick up one of the better centers in free agency, then we could look at getting a running back to compliment Benson or start if we're unable to re-sign him.

Guest Vitamin X
They're going to sell the farm. No sense in paying ALL of those guys. Warner and Edge are goners, Boldin will be unless they pay him some absurd amount of money. They're going to suck next season.

I completely agree with this. It'll be another few years at best before the Cardinals are anywhere near contenders again. The good news about the Super Bowl run however, is that despite the bemoaning of bandwagon fans and such from certain posters on here, the local fans finally have been given a reason to care about the team. I mean, the Cardinals have gotten farther now than the Lions, Browns, and Saints ever have, and at least the first two sell out fairly regularly (until this year, anyways).

Looking at their situation again, I realized there is a lot still there they can work with if they get back a few key guys. Right now the Cards are 40 MILLION under the cap, that is a lot of wiggle room. To me, the best thing that may happen for them is Kurt Warner retire. Eventually they have to make that move to Hollywood Matty Von USC and not having to dish out money to Warner makes it a LOT easier.

Breaston will need to move up to #2 and Early Doucet can take over the Breaston role at #3. With Fitz as your 1, that is a strong trio of receiver if Doucet grows into the role and shows positive gains. They are claiming they are going to push to give Boldin a bigger deal but I think he is an excellent bargaining chip right now instead. Get a first or second round pick with him in a late first-early second that will be LOADED with quality receivers if they need one.

Pope or Patrick are interchangable, while Pope may command more money Patrick will not and ends up being a value selection. If they can't bring them both back, the low cost selection would be Patrick.

Defensively, if they can get Dansby back then they aren't too bad. Berry was getting up there in years and there might be some good defensive lineman in the late first round. If not, Julius Peppers would be sitting there to give them a strong pass rushing defensive end and he'd probably only be a slight increase on what Berry would demand from them. Antonio Smith, again, is much like Berry in the replaceable department.

Out of all of their free agents, upon further review I'd say only Dansby is a must have return. Warner is not, James can leave since he's basically just a power back right now, Boldin could be trade bait to give them more draft flex, and with the extra cap they might be able to actually IMPROVE.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
Right now the Cards are 40 MILLION under the cap, that is a lot of wiggle room.

Bidwell ain't spending a dime of it, either.

Utech was supposed to be that pass-catching TE and he seemed to do well in pre-season, but when the regular season started he contracted "Hands of Stone" and was dropping everything thrown his way. Then he got injured. I'm hoping this season he's show that he's not worthless.

He'll never be starter-quality. He's fine as an H-back and package guy like he was in Indy, but he's no every-down TE. How much did the Bengals pay that guy, anyway?

Personally, I wouldn't look at a first day RB either unless the Bengals address the issue at center in Free Agency. That's what I'd prefer them to do. If they pick up one of the better centers in free agency, then we could look at getting a running back to compliment Benson or start if we're unable to re-sign him.

Who did you have in mind, in terms of a FA center? The two that come to my mind, Matt Birk and Jeff Saturday, aren't going anywhere.

If I'm Cincinatti, I'm taking one of the many OT available in the draft, and hoping like hell either Knowshon Moreno or Beanie Wells drops to the second round. Failing that, look at Shonn Greene or Javon Ringer later on. Kory Sheets would be a damn smart move on day 2, also.

The Big Ten have some fine RBs coming out this year.

Dan Reeves quit his consultant role with the Cowboys. He didn't even last 24 hours.

Must have realized trying to explain things to Jerry Jones is impossible. Be more productive trying to get a brick wall to speak Spanish.

Coupla things: To no one's surprise, Edgerrin James is already all but officially done in Arizona. I wouldn't be shocked if he's done playing football altogether, as he seems like the sort of guy who might price himself out of the market. I'd imagine that he'll be in a Shaun Alexander/Cedric Benson sort of situation, where he's waiting for a team to become desperate due to catastrophic injury. And even then, they'd be stupid to pay him. What he has left in the tank isn't going to justify his asking price.

Also, T.J Houshmandzadeh wants to play for the Eagles. I think every free agent WR this decade has wanted to play for the Eagles. But then they never sign any of them, and by the end of the season their fans are attributing the team's downfall to a lack of viable options for McNabb in the passing game. So don't expect anything to come of this.

I don't think that is entirely fair. They got TO when he was on the market and attempted to get Randy Moss last year by all accounts. I just don't think that many top flight WRs typically come on the market and they won't overspend on a lower tier guy just for the sake of doing so (the Bernard Berrian, Antwaan Randle El types). The biggest problem they have is that they have just sucked at developing a top flight receiver, hopefully Jackson reverses that trend.