TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agent of Oblivion

The 2009 NFL Offseason

I hoping the Bengals go with Mack, Unger or Luigs in the 2nd Round.

I agree that the RB depth is very good for this year's draft. I could probably live with the Bengals waiting until the 3rd or 4th round. Unless someone falls that is too tempting to pass up.

To answer Agent, Jason Brown from Baltimore is the guy I'm dreaming about, but I'd be very happy with Matt Birk. Odds are though, we won't get either due to them being resigned or simply being too expensive. Also, I've heard that the Colts have been grooming someone to replace Jeff Saturday, possibly making Saturday expendable, this true? Either way, the Bengals aren't likely going to make a splash in Free Agency, they never really do. Also, we signed Utech to a 3-year, $9 million contract.

Any of the three (Mack, Unger, or Luigs) being drafted would be nice and I really hope we do get one of them. Like you said, Gert, they could wait until the 3rd or even 4th to address RB. I think, in general, that you can find decent to good running back talent in almost any round if you look hard enough.

Crabtree at #3 is the HR pick, Curry at #3 is the safe pick.

I like Sanchez better than Stafford, but it absolutely kills me to see mock drafts with both of them going in the Top 3. It makes me wonder if the people who do the mocks watch game film.

Now I'm a Chiefs fan so I must chime in here, tell me please when the last time a LB was drafted in the top 5...the answer is Lavar Arrington nearly a decade ago and he brought pass rush talent Curry doesn't, just looking at history the pick makes no sense. LB's really aren't valuable enough to be top 5 picks.

Crabtree isn't an elite prospect either, he's slow, he's not going to run in workouts because of it. This isn't Calvin Johnson or Andre Johnson here, he should call Fitzgerald and thank him because without what he did this talk wouldn't be going on...a WR with speed issues from the spread, I pass.

And as someone who watched Tyler Thigpens every snap the Chiefs absolutely do need a QB, the Chiefs were running a college gimmick spread and pistol offense because he couldn't even take a under center snap. Thigpens career with the Chiefs as a starter likely ended the day Edwards was fired and he knew it because he did an interview basically ripping the organization for firing Edwards.

The Chiefs are starting over with very few pieces, there are 3 positions worthy of a top 5 pick QB, LT, DE...the Chiefs already got their LT last year so no reason to overkill that, these DE's aren't worth the picks no one in their right mind can tell me Brian Orakpo is worth a top 5 pick. So then you go to the QB's...

Personally I feel Stafford and Sanchez are the best 2 prospects of this year and next year, unless of course you are a big fan of the spread monkeys who never pan out.

I think, in general, that you can find decent to good running back talent in almost any round if you look hard enough.

The Giants lead the league in rushing this year, and had two 1,000 yard runners.

Brandon Jacobs - 4th round

Derrick Ward - Practice squad

Ahmad Bradshaw - 7th round

Though Jacobs/Ward compliment each other's strengths exceptionally well, I would lend a ton of credit to the Giant o-line which is absolutely beastly.

Hey, Mecca, to say that linebackers are not worth top 5 picks is pretty sketchy when you consider the fact that the last 6 Defensive Rookies of the Year, and 8 of the last 9, have been linebackers.

From espn.com:

Cards oust D-coordinator Pendergast

TEMPE, Ariz. -- The Arizona Cardinals have fired defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast less than a week after the team played Pittsburgh in the Super Bowl.

Coach Ken Whisenhunt said in a statement released Saturday that the decision "comes down to what's best for the team and what gives us the best chance to win."

Pendergast's departure leaves the team without both coordinators. Offensive coordinator Todd Haley was named head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs on Friday.

Both coordinators gone. Warner, Edge and Boldin probably gone, too. Honeymoon's over in Arizona apparently.

From espn.com:

Cards oust D-coordinator Pendergast

TEMPE, Ariz. -- The Arizona Cardinals have fired defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast less than a week after the team played Pittsburgh in the Super Bowl.

Coach Ken Whisenhunt said in a statement released Saturday that the decision "comes down to what's best for the team and what gives us the best chance to win."

Pendergast's departure leaves the team without both coordinators. Offensive coordinator Todd Haley was named head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs on Friday.

Both coordinators gone. Warner, Edge and Boldin probably gone, too. Honeymoon's over in Arizona apparently.

Wow! I wish the Giants could clean house and get rid of Gilbride.

Espn is reporting that Matt Cassel has accepted the Pats offer for next year. He is going to make close to 15 million to be a backup.

MFer fact: In high school, I competed in a track & field invitational named after Runyan.

In other news, it looks like the Lions are set to take their first step in cleaning house. Leigh Bodden, Dan Campbell, Edwin Mulitalo, and Mike Furrey are all expected to be cut on Monday. In the case of Bodden, he was probably the Lions' best cover corner despite having a down year, but he's due way too much money ($8.6 mil) to justify keeping him. Maybe they would keep Bodden if the Lions were simply mediocre, but 0-16 plus the fact that he (as well as Furrey) was pretty outspoken after the season sealed the deal for him.

Jamal Anderson busted for coke.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3892506

Dirty Bird indeed.

"The officer went into the restroom, heard the same sniffing and peered over the stall door. He saw Jamal Anderson and Mark Hudson sniffing two lines of powdered cocaine off the back of the toilet."

Drugs are bad enough but to be snorting the junk off the back of the toilet? Gross. Couldn't spring for a record album, a mirror, or something? Such a shame too. I enjoyed his analysis on First Take :lol:

Some other transaction notes... Notable names only

Cleveland Browns released QB Bruce Gradkowski, QB Ken Dorsey, CB Terry Cousin, OLB Antwan Peek, and OL Eric Young

Detroit Lions released CB Leigh Bodden, S Dwight Smith, and TE Dan Campbell

New York Giants released RB Reuben Droughns, S Sammy Knight, and CB Sam Madison

In a move that probably signals the end of the Garcia era, Tampa resigned the incomparable Luke McCown. I've liked Luke whenever he's managed to get on the field the last few years, and startin Griese over him in the Atlanta game late last season was one of the things that really convinced me that Gruden needed to go. Here's to hoping that Griese gets shown the door, as well.

In a move that probably signals the end of the Garcia era, Tampa resigned the incomparable Luke McCown. I've liked Luke whenever he's managed to get on the field the last few years, and startin Griese over him in the Atlanta game late last season was one of the things that really convinced me that Gruden needed to go. Here's to hoping that Griese gets shown the door, as well.

What are the chances Tampa drafts a QB in the 1st or 2nd rounds???

I think Byron Leftwich should have a starting job next year. Will he? Thats another question... I really think he's better then a back up.

The Bucs definitely could end up drafting a QB early this year, and I think it would be as much because of external pressure as anything. What better way to show the fanbase that they're making a break from the Gruden years than by drafting and developing an early-round QB? Whether there will be a guy worth taking when they draft is a different question. Personally, I'd rather see them get some help on the D-Line or grab a WR in the first round.

The Bucs definitely could end up drafting a QB early this year, and I think it would be as much because of external pressure as anything. What better way to show the fanbase that they're making a break from the Gruden years than by drafting and developing an early-round QB? Whether there will be a guy worth taking when they draft is a different question. Personally, I'd rather see them get some help on the D-Line or grab a WR in the first round.

I feel if Josh Freeman drops to them in the 2nd round, they should have no choice but to draft him.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Curtis Painter is going to be terribly overlooked in the draft. He's tall, physical, and was statistically better than Brees at Purdue.