TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agent of Oblivion

The 2009 NFL Offseason

Coach Gary Kubiak confirmed that following Morlon Greenwood's release Xavier Adibi will be the Texans' starting weak-side linebacker. Houston also cut RB Ahman Green.

Raiders C Jake Grove's contract has voided and he is a free agent. He apparently met playing time requirements. Oakland also claimed QB Bruce Gradkowski off waivers~! I have a soft spot for the guy...

San Francisco released OLB Tully Banta-Cain. Curious but doubt that the Patriots would nab him back for depth.

The Bucs definitely could end up drafting a QB early this year, and I think it would be as much because of external pressure as anything. What better way to show the fanbase that they're making a break from the Gruden years than by drafting and developing an early-round QB? Whether there will be a guy worth taking when they draft is a different question. Personally, I'd rather see them get some help on the D-Line or grab a WR in the first round.

I say nab Central Arkansas QB Nathan Brown in the 3rd round. Don't sleep on this kid. He should be there by third round. HarleyQuinn can probably back me up on this assessment.

I say nab Central Arkansas QB Nathan Brown in the 3rd round. Don't sleep on this kid. He should be there by third round. HarleyQuinn can probably back me up on this assessment.

I like the guy as a developmental project. Not sure he'll be taken in the 3rd (though I could see it) but I expect him to go more around the 4th or 5th round. He definitely has good enough arm strength but seems to come off as more of a Tyler Thigpen type QB (who got drafted in the 7th out of Coastal Carolina). He'll need to work hard to read coverages better and pick up the speed of the game.

He could be serviceable if employed in a pre-dominant Spread system as Thigpen was last year, but he'll likely need 1-2 seasons on the bench first.

I like the guy as a developmental project. Not sure he'll be taken in the 3rd (though I could see it) but I expect him to go more around the 4th or 5th round. He definitely has good enough arm strength but seems to come off as more of a Tyler Thigpen type QB (who got drafted in the 7th out of Coastal Carolina). He'll need to work hard to read coverages better and pick up the speed of the game.

He could be serviceable if employed in a pre-dominant Spread system as Thigpen was last year, but he'll likely need 1-2 seasons on the bench first.

The thing with NB though is when he's on, he's on. When he's off.....ugh.

I watched him totally blow it against my alma mater last year and we had a REALLY down year. Still, he was a four year starter and he would have led his squad to the FCS playoffs if not for transitional rules prohibiting it.

Speaking of Southland conference quarterbacks....Rhett Bomar?

I can not get a figure on him one way or the other. I can honestly argue for him to go as early as round 1 and as late as...not drafted.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Jags cut both WR Jerry Porter and CB Drayton Florence.

Their contracts last offseason totalled 12 years and SIXTY SIX MILLION between them.

Porter caught 11 passes in 10 games, and Florence was relegated to Nickel duty.

Their contracts last offseason totalled 12 years and SIXTY SIX MILLION between them.

According to some article floating around the net (from Draftsharks.com, I believe), the Jags were about $16 million under the cap before these moves, so this was probably a good time to bite the bullet and get rid of these guys instead of designating them as "June 1st" cuts and spreading the cap hit over to 2010. Better to rip the band-aid off now then prolonging the pain.

Still, stupid, stupid moves in the first place. Heh, look at the Redskins fan throwing stones over here in my glass house.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Drew Rosenhaus is apparently jockeying for trades for his hotshot WR clients.

Plaxico Burress, Anquan Boldin, and Chad Johnson may all be headaches for other teams next season! Exciting!

Houshmanzadeh's a free agent. Jerry Porter is out there if someone feels like being a retard.

Any takers?

According to some article floating around the net (from Draftsharks.com, I believe), the Jags were about $16 million under the cap before these moves, so this was probably a good time to bite the bullet and get rid of these guys instead of designating them as "June 1st" cuts and spreading the cap hit over to 2010. Better to rip the band-aid off now then prolonging the pain.

Still, stupid, stupid moves in the first place. Heh, look at the Redskins fan throwing stones over here in my glass house.

I believe the June 1st cut rule was abolished starting this off season

Speaking of Southland conference quarterbacks....Rhett Bomar?

I can not get a figure on him one way or the other. I can honestly argue for him to go as early as round 1 and as late as...not drafted.

Yeah, Brown's inconsistency is why he may drop to the 4th-5th round at best.

Rhett Bomar should be a late 1st/early 2nd round pick but could fall to the late 2nd depending on where the other "top" quarterbacks go. Rhett has a rocket of an arm and is really polished for an FCS quarterback (think Flacco except Bomar had a chance to play against tough I-A talent initially). I highly doubt he'd slip past the 3rd round.

Right. I had the pleasure of watching him in person twice since SHSU is a conference rival and I travel a lot. He does have a cannon. Mostly in FCS games a QB throws a football there's a collective gasp due to the fact that its a quarterback in the FCS.

When Bomar throws it, its so graceful and pretty. Gosh I hated it!!!!

I'd like the Titans to go after an elite receiver like Boldin or Houshmanzadeh, but considering they've only had one decent WR in the last decade it's clearly not a priority. They'll sign someone like Bobby Engram instead and call it a day.

Does Bomar still think he can throw the ball through DBs?

Yes. But he over threw a lot too. He was under 60% completions his 2 years as an active player and threw 13 INTs in 2008. In fact the only 2 games he didn't throw a pick were against teams they easily over matched.

Drew Rosenhaus is apparently jockeying for trades for his hotshot WR clients.

Plaxico Burress, Anquan Boldin, and Chad Johnson may all be headaches for other teams next season! Exciting!

Houshmanzadeh's a free agent. Jerry Porter is out there if someone feels like being a retard.

Any takers?

Boldin or Housh for the Ravens is a no brainer. Flacco would be even better with a bigger threat at WR than Mason. .

I think that with a fairly light workload, Fred Taylor could still be effective for someone next year. Houston? New England? Somewhere else?

Guest Vitamin X

I think New England seems like an excellent possibility, sharing the load with Mauroney.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Fred Taylor is seriously as good a piece as you can ask for in a RBBC situation. His only issue is injuries, which has been his big ? his entire career.

Crazy fact: Fred Taylor has more all-time attempts, yards, and TDs than OJ Simpson, but has only been voted to one pro bowl.

If I'm a team looking for a solid backup/committee guy, I'm diving on him for a season or two.

Fred Taylor is seriously as good a piece as you can ask for in a RBBC situation. His only issue is injuries, which has been his big ? his entire career.

The crazy thing is, he seemed to get more durable the older he got...and remember, he had his best season in '07....he is going to go somewheres and do good

I think it's crazy the Jags released him. i think this will hurt MJD in the long run also.

I dunno about crazy. Taylor's a good runner who's getting up there and can still contribute, but I don't think you pay an aging committee RB $6 million. That's just too much for a guy only going to touch the ball 150-200 times in a season. Even though no Jacksonville RB besides Taylor or Jones-Drew made a significant contribution last year, Taylor's highly replaceable at that salary, either through the draft or through the acquisition of some journeyman RB types.