TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agent of Oblivion

The 2009 NFL Offseason

In similar "veteran back cut" news, the Saints released Deuce McAllister, who had $5 million coming his way this year and a $7.5 million cap number. Highly unsurprising given the emergence of Pierre Thomas.

Once upon a time, Deuce would scare the shit out of me when he played Tampa, but those days are long since gone. With Gruden being out of the league, I can't imagine anyone picking the guy up, as he appeared to have nothing left in the tank last year.

Philly need a power runner like Taylor/ Deuce on 3rd downs, especially with Buckhalter (almost) out the door. If you could sign one of them to a 1-2 year cheap deal it might be worth more than signing a rookie.

The Bengals franchised their kicker. Really, Cincy?

I agree with the move. Shayne Graham is one of the top kickers in the league and franchising him is a lot cheaper than franchising, say, TJ. Franchising TJ would cost us around 10 million dollars and considering, when you really break it down, he's a 32 year old possession receiver. As a #2 to Chad with Palmer throwing to him, he's done well. When Chad didn't play, his production dropped. Before Carson was the starter, he never put up big numbers and this season, with Carson injured, his production dropped. He's not bad, but I don't see him being the answer for most teams. Plus, though not as outspoken as Chad, TJ is a "Me First" guy and at times a whiner. I'll miss him, but I won't miss him if that makes any sense.

But yeah, franchising Graham makes sense to me and allows us to resign our free agents and maybe even pick up some guys to fill holes instead of losing damn near half our cap space for one guy (or signing him to huge, long-term contract when he may only have like 2 years left).

EDIT - Oh and on a side note, I was really hoping someone would comment on the Bengals franchising Graham (and allow me to vent about Housh), so thanks Spiff!

I dunno about crazy. Taylor's a good runner who's getting up there and can still contribute, but I don't think you pay an aging committee RB $6 million. That's just too much for a guy only going to touch the ball 150-200 times in a season. Even though no Jacksonville RB besides Taylor or Jones-Drew made a significant contribution last year, Taylor's highly replaceable at that salary, either through the draft or through the acquisition of some journeyman RB types.

I don't know how true it is, but he was willing to restructure his salary and take a paycut of 50-75%

Thank the lord. He was so good at Texas, but utter dog shit with the Raiders. What a waste of a pick, and a high one at that. Hopefully, he can find a system where he can be successful, but his time is up in Oakland.

Yeah I had high hopes for him when he came into the NFL...

I remember Lions' fans were dying to get Huff back in 2006. One of the rare times where things worked out fairly well for the Lions. They drafted Ernie Sims a couple spots after Huff and got their safety (Daniel Bullocks) a round later.

I remember Lions' fans were dying to get Huff back in 2006. One of the rare times where things worked out fairly well for the Lions. They drafted Ernie Sims a couple spots after Huff and got their safety (Daniel Bullocks) a round later.

I remember that draft... The Eagles had the 13th pick, I was hoping Sims would drop to us. We got Brodrick Bunkley, who has potential and is still young.

Teddy bears is gettin' tagged, y'all. The Bucs put the franchise tag on Antonio Bryant and the Chargers did the same for Darren Sproles. I'd say good moves for both. I couldn't tell you what Tampa's receiver situation would be like if they didn't retain Bryant, and Sproles more than earned his money last season.

Guest Vitamin X

The Packers don't need a first round pick this year if they can get Julius Peppers. Maybe trade away Brohm/Flynn for him for another pick in the later rounds as well.

Guest Vitamin X

I'm thinking more along the lines of the new 3-4 defense being Peppers, Barnett, Hawk, and Kampman as the linebackers (it's already official that Kampman is moving to the outside spot in that defense) with some big fat dudes to anchor the 3 down linemen. That's a group of 80 sacks for the last three seasons. Peppers and Kampman both came into the league the same year- 2002- and they've combined for 121 sacks between them. They're even similar sizes- Peppers is 6'6", 283 and Kampman is 6'4", 286. Peppers is obviously the better athlete, though. I'd only be concerned about their ability to play the pass though, instead of just continually rushing 5 guys on every down.

Terrel Suggs also got franchised tagged

I think Suggs getting franchised means they feel they have a shot at keeping Ray Lewis for one more year letting Scott walk (they've got talent behind him to replace him) Next year, Ray retires and they'll sign Suggs to a long term deal (or go after Peppers, since Baltimore was supposedly the AFC team he wanted to play for)

At least this is what I hope Suggs getting franchised means.

I had farfetched dreams of them getting Peppers this year since the Ravens are supposedly the 1 AFC team he was willing to be traded to but I know they won't trade two #1 picks and have the salary cap room unless they let Ray walk and Id rather have Ray Lewis retire as a Raven. Plus, they still really need a WR.

Ray isn't going anywheres, he's just jocking for more money. His parents live in the area, he has a business, and he is the face of the entire organization...no way is he going anywhere

The Ravens don't need Peppers as bad as other teams... next year, with Jameel McClain, Suggs, Johnson, and Lewis, they have their LB corp set up.

I think Peppers would fit great with the Packers, as I said. And it may happen...the packers need to focus on their Defense after last year. No need to mess with the offense, besides some linemen. Rodgers, the RBs, the Wrs...they're all good.

Has anyone else heard the rumors that Haynesworth might goto the Lions? WTF?

Some people in the NFL think the Raiders deal with Nnamdi is bad for business.

"How many different ways can you say, 'What were they thinking?' " a team executive who declined to be identified said after being told the terms of Asomugha's three-year, $45 million contract.

"Insanity, stupidity, whatever you want to attach to it. Yeah, the kid is the best cornerback in the league. They paid for quality. I'll give them that. But that deal wrecks the league. Absolutely wrecks it. … I'm sure Al doesn't care, but it's deals like that that change the league for the worse."

Asomugha (pictured) is guaranteed $28.5 million over the first two years of the deal and the Raiders will have to decide by the fifth day of the league year in 2011 whether to pick up the third season of the deal. If they do, the final year is guaranteed. If not, Asomugha can't be franchised (nor can the Raiders franchise him even if he plays out all three years on the contract), making him an unrestricted free agent at either age 29 or 30. Combined with the $9.7 million Asomugha made last season as a franchise player for Oakland, he stands to make approximately $55 million in a four-year stretch.

"And still hit free agency at the right time for one more big contract, assuming he's healthy," a second team executive said, shaking his head.

The fear among the executives is that the Asomugha deal will have a ripple effect on the rest of the league. Specifically, Tennessee DT Albert Haynesworth is likely to get a contract that exceeds previous deals for defensive linemen such as Jared Allen and Dwight Freeney.

"You can argue that Haynesworth is a defensive tackle or that he's a bad guy," said a third team executive. "But if a cornerback gets what the Raiders just paid, a defensive tackle like Haynesworth is going to get a serious pay day as well."

It does seem excessive, but at the same time if the Raiders are willing to ruin their cap flexibility for a CB and a punter to a lesser extent, then I don't see how they'll be able to compete when the other skill positions players on their team come up on free agency.

Gibril Wilson has been released.

As for cap flexibility, it's probably a good thing we don't have it. Look at last offseason.

Ugh, fuck Dunta. I read the article that was up on ESPN and he needs to realize he wasn't going to make huge money on the open market and the fact he's making damn near 10 million for one year should be enough for him.

"..I love playing for this city..but this is going to make it hard to stay..."

Go fuck yourself Dunta.

wow, fuck Dunta... he would not get 10million/yr on the market, he should count his stars he's getting paid that much, espeically since he isn't an elite cb, not yet atleast.

With Asomugha and Dunta off the market, who is the best free agency CBs now?