TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agent of Oblivion

The 2009 NFL Offseason

The Jets and Eagles have agreed to a trade that will send a 2009 fifth-round pick and a 2010 conditional pick to the Eagles for CB Lito Sheppard.

The 2010 pick could be anywhere between a second and fourth-round pick, presumably depending on Sheppard's playing time. The price is too big for our tastes, but Sheppard would fill a big void opposite Darrelle Revis. We give the Eagles a lot of credit for holding on to Sheppard last year and getting this excellent value.

Eagles seem to be stockpiling picks maybe for a trade to get Boldin.

I think this is more just getting rid of a malcontent who would have to fight for the dime corner job in 09, as opposed to a move to stockpile chips for Boldin. That said, if it convinces them to move a no.1 for Boldin, then more power to them.

jeus, Rex Ryan is turning the Jets into the New Jersey Ravens. They've got Bart Scott, Corey Ivy is expected to sign within the next 24 hours, and Jim Leonhard is visiting on saturday.

They keep signing players I like, I might have to become a Jets fan

Jason Brown to the Rams. Im sure he'll have lots of fun.

Bart Scott isn't worth 6 years $48 million. See Adalius Thomas and Ed Hartwell. The Ravens replaced them cheaply with good drafting and they'll replace Bart Scott just the same. Corey Ivy isn't that great either so if the Jets overpay for him then so be it. I will be upset if Leonhard goes but they wont overpay for him.

I do think Ray might actually be staying though a 3 year deal for a 34 year old LB is borderline ridiculous. If he wasn't the Cal Ripken of the Ravens they'd probably let him walk too. I doubt he's getting any offers that match 3/25.

The Ravens defense might take a hit, but I think that if they can have a decent draft the drop off wont be that bad. And if they can get a WR for Flacco to throw to, they might not miss it anyway.

Speaking of the Redskins burning money, they gave Albert Haynesworth a 7 year contract for $100 million (potentially as much as $115 million) with $41 million guaranteed. Daniel Snyder truly never learns.

Saw this:

But Chris Mortensen of ESPN reports that, in reality, the contract is worth $48 million over four years.

In the fifth year of the deal, Haynesworth is due to receive a whopping $29 million in salary and bonuses. And since he'll be 32 when the 2013 season begins, the Redskins likely won't pay those amounts.

--

Thats not really so bad over 4 years.

Should I feel bad about being amused at the fact that Houshmanzadah has found out the hard way that he's not worth what he thought he was worth? From what I've read, he's not been getting the huge offers from teams he expected to and seems to have pissed off the Eagles to the point of eliminating any chance of being signed by them. It would do my Bengals-loving heart good if he had to eat a big plate of humble pie, accept that no team in the league is going to pay a 32 year old possession receiver who's only really had 2-3 good seasons $10 million a year, and re-sign with the Bengals.

Also, I'm rather surprised the Eagles gave such a large contract to Stacy Andrews. He's coming off reconstructive surgery to repair his ACL after a season where he pretty much sucked.

You'd think the Jets would scale back their free agency hunt, look at their team, and see that they don't have a quarterback. Apparently not.

Pissing into the wind.

Receiver T.J Houshmandzadeh has said that he'd like to play for the Eagles.

But, as it turns out, the Eagles might not be interested.

According to Derrick Gunn on Comcast SportsNet, the Eagles didn't react kindly to an effort by Houshmandzadeh to dupe the team into thinking that he was offering Philly a discount. After checking around, the Eagles reportedly learned that Houshmandzadeh's agent was actually asking for more money from the Eagles than from other teams.

Per Gunn, the Eagles previously had little interest in Houshmandzadeh. The alleged bait-and-swtich routine ensured that the Eagles won't make a play for him.

Meanwhile, league observers continue to believe that Houshmandzadeh won't strike it as rich as he'd prefer. As Howard Balzer of The Sports Xchange pointed out to me earlier in the day, Houshmandzadeh will be 32 later this year.

To put it bluntly, guys in their 30s rarely get rich in the early days of free agency.

http://blogs.nbcsports.com/home/archives/2...ake-a-hike.html

You'd think the Jets would scale back their free agency hunt, look at their team, and see that they don't have a quarterback. Apparently not.

Pissing into the wind.

I disagree with this for a few reasons. Number one, Rex Ryan has made it very clear he plans to run the ball a trillion times a game, and hit you in the fucking face on defense. Second of all, a lot of people in the Jets organization are really high on Brett Ratliff (and some even on Kellen Clemens). Third, if Kurt Warner goes to the Niners, I'd say it's a lock that either Stafford or Sanchez falls to them at 17, because it'd be really out of character for Scott Pioli to take a QB at #3, especially when a stud like Aaron Curry could be on the board. The Jets have made all the right moves so far.

Those players have taken how many regular season snaps? When Clemens has played, his numbers were what? You can say you'll run the ball all day long. You can't. At some point you have to have a QB who can toss the ball a bit.

You can say they've made the right moves, and well, that's true to a point. The players they're acquiring still won't get them anywhere this season. I want to see what they do at the Draft. It won't change my opinion, but yeah, I'd like to see it.

Clemens struggles are very closely related to him playing behind an offensive line that may or may not have actually existed. Our quarterback last year threw 19 interceptions, and yet losses only started to pile up when our secondary took a shit all over the Meadowlands.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

So far, Chicago's only acquisition has been OT Frank Omiyale. A fifth round draft pick in 05 that's been cut by Atlanta and Carolina with hardly any game experience. Still looking to re-sign John St. Clair! Oh boy!

I find it hard to believe that the Chicago Bears have shown no interest in getting a WR. Matt Forte is the only shining spot of this offense, and we don't know if he will produce as much as he did during his rookie season. Orton, and formally Rex, wouldn't be so terrible if they actually had someone to throw to. Sorry to Devin Hester and Earl Bennet, but those two certainly arent the answer at WR that the Bears need.

Unless they put together a passable group of guys for Orton to throw to, then I don't see the Bears being any better next year. Get a fucking wide reciever! Jeremy Maclin should be available by the time they step up to pick, but knowing the Bears, they'll take a DE or LB. Even if Maclin is gone, there is still Percy Harvin and that kid from Maryland (can't think of his name) People talk about how deep of trouble the Seahawks are at WR...At least they have Deion Branch who although had a TERRIBLE season last year, has shown to be productive. The Bears have no WR that opposing defenses need to worry about.

The Bears are one of the teams that should be trying to get TJ. A nice, sure handed and tall WR would help out a ton, especially if they draft a WR. A TJ/Hester/Maclin trio would open up Forte even moreso

Doubt that'll happen though.

Matt Cassell traded to the Chiefs. I actually think that's a pretty good fit, and he'll immediately have a few decent targets to throw to in Bowe and Gonzalez. No reason to think that the Chiefs couldn't improve by six games or so next year, which would put them right in the thick of things in the AFC West.

Jason Brown's agent (Harold Lewis) is a bit of a dipshit:

"The Eagles showed some really strong interest in Jason, but we had no inkling until midnight passed," Lewis said. "Who knows? Maybe if they'd have called first, they'd have had the first chance to talk. Jason is not the kind of guy who wants to take a tour."

Everyone knows that the tampering rule is a farce, but you don't just come out and admit it if you are an agent.

And only a 2nd round pick for Vrabel and Cassel (per Peter King) seems surprisingly low.

That's a 2nd rounder for Cassell. Seems a little low, but bear in mind that that's the 35th overall pick, and they just got it for trading away a guy that I don't think they ever had any intention of keeping around.

Dawkins leaving is not as bad as everyone certainly makes it seem, but I am still disappointed. He still had the heart and desire for the defense, but they'll just have to replace it. He isn't going to play for five more years, and the biggest reason he signed with Denver was the guaranteed money. I don't know if he is worth $7 mil guaranteed. Certainly $3 or $4 mil, but I love him and I don't hate the Eagles for it. The Denver/Philly game this year is going to be pretty emotional.

By the sounds of it, it is essentially a 2yr deal for somewhere between $7.5-9 mil. I'm sorry, but with their cap room and the lack of a real alternative, it is idiotic for them not to come up with that coin.

And I just have a hard time believing that the Pats wouldn't be able to get the no.33 pick from Detroit, maybe even the no.20 pick, while still being able to move Vrabel to KC for another 4th-5th round pick. While he was going to be their backup, it still seems like poor asset management.

And I just have a hard time believing that the Pats wouldn't be able to get the no.33 pick from Detroit, maybe even the no.20 pick, while still being able to move Vrabel to KC for another 4th-5th round pick. While he was going to be their backup, it still seems like poor asset management.

It's entirely possible that they didn't want to have to pay first round money for someone at #20. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Pats take a lower pick just to keep the payroll down.

Maybe the Chiefs were the only team willing to take on his ridiculous contract?

I predict Thigpen will wind up starting and/or replacing Cassell mid-game at least 3 times this season.

The Chiefs will just give Cassell a long-term deal; they won't be paying him $14 million/year unless I'm interpreting the franchise rules wholly incorrectly. Maybe a signing bonus for this year to get him up there, but not per-year.

They weren't getting a first for Cassel, so a high second is pretty good. They have a shitload of picks in the first three rounds of the draft (I think five or six now), so they certainly have the flexibility they like to have and can use that to get young defensive talent or future draft picks (I'm surprised they didn't try to finagle a conditional '10 pick out of Pioli too).

EDIT: And as Naiwf said, it's more about cap space than draft position since they have guys like Wilfork and Seymour coming up for contract extensions soon.

If that is the issue though, the Lions second is a slot higher than the Chiefs. Plus they still get to make the Vrabel trade.

That said, who knows if the Lions actually offered anything. With that franchise you can't put any logic into the thought process. I am not a big Cassel guy, but I would rather have Cassel, the no.1 (likely the LT to protect Cassel) and no.20 as opposed to Stafford/Sanchez, no.20 and no.33.