TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agent of Oblivion

The 2009 NFL Offseason

Texans sign Antonio Smith to a 5 yr. $35 million deal, although only $12.5 million is guaranteed. Plus a it's front loaded between this year (lots of cap space) and next year (uncapped) so the Texans have an easy out if he doesn't produce. Hopefully this finally fills the giant hole opposite Mario, but I guess that means no Maybin, Sidbury, or Orakpo in the draft this year. Now I really have no idea what they're planning to do.

Apparently the Broncos were going after Matt Cassel.

Jay Cutler heard about it. So he's demanded a trade. They're boned.

http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/broncos.cutl...l.2.946829.html

I don't know how you get that out of the story you linked to there. It seems more like Denver was approached about the possibility of trading Cutler, the briefly entertained the idea, and then the whole thing became moot when New England decided to send Cassell to KC. Cutler saying that he'd like to stay in Denver but understands that it's a business hardly sounds like he's demanding a trade to me.

That's more like it. Still, I can't imagine that they'd trade him at this point. Who could they possibly replace him with? Unless...

43669279.jpg

Guest Czech please!
So far, Chicago's only acquisition has been OT Frank Omiyale. A fifth round draft pick in 05 that's been cut by Atlanta and Carolina with hardly any game experience.

The fact that Angelo made such an odd move actually makes me cautiously optimistic. Sure, he's done nothing in his career, but they must have seen something they liked to have pounced on him so swiftly, some raw talent to be molded in the able hands of Ron Turner and Lovie Smith. Then again, they were also very quick to make sure nobody else got Brett Basanez, so there's a good chance I have no clue what I'm saying.

As for Housh and the Bears' refusal to sign a marquee wide receiver, I dunno. He'd be a good piece, but the window for this team to contend is closed, even in a weak division in a weak conference in a weak league. The defense is porous and old. The offense is missing critical pieces even if it adds T.J., and special teams--by which I mean Devin Hester--have (has) been irreparably broken from misuse. Maybe it's not the best investment to pick him up at this point in time. Wide receivers are expensive. They won't bother.

Apparently the Broncos were going after Matt Cassel.

Jay Cutler heard about it. So he's demanded a trade. They're boned.

http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/broncos.cutl...l.2.946829.html

Jesus, how fucking stupid is the front office? You want to trade a guy who made the Pro Bowl last year? And for what? Cassel is a mighty step down from Cutler.

Awesome work, guys.

Hey XC..after looking at your draft blog, where do you think the Texans go now with signing an end to play opposite of Mario?

Guest Vitamin X

Hell, I love Aaron Rodgers and even I'd trade for Cutler. Cutler is already a proven GUNSLINGER~, which is what the "WE WANTZ FARVE" contingent would finally get.

But yeah, running both Mike Shanahan AND Cutler out of town the same year? Who the fuck is running the show in Denver? Buncha morons there.

I don't understand this bout with free agency for the Cowboys this season....

Give up Anthony Henry and a 5th rounder for a backup QB that was going to be let go anyway?

Also take Brooking over Ray Lewis? Ray Lewis was needed as a leader in the locker room.

I don't get it.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Made some updates to my mock if anyone cares to look. Basically, I've got Denver taking Everette Brown, and Beanie Wells going to Tampa.

What worries me most about the Cassel trade is that this means Brady is fully operational.

I'd love for the Jets to trade for him. Give them 2 1st rounders. Whatever. This guy is the real deal.

Considering they have a ground game, they have taken a good portion of the Ravens defense and added it to an already solid defense then yeah that actually would be a decent move.

Course with the way Denver is operating, they might be able to offer Kellen and a 3rd round pick and the Broncos would jump it.

And Dallas giving up another secondary player from an already very weak secondary for a guy who the Lions don't even want makes no sense.

After thinking about it, Dawkins to Denver is a huge gut punch. You make some exceptions for players and resign them for two years at the most, guarantee them a few million, and then he would have stayed here. There is no reason why the Eagles couldn't have matched the $7.2 mil guaranteed to Dawkins. Unbelievable, and everyone in Philly is pretty shocked/upset/pissed. Denver also visits Philadelphia next season, so I hope Brian doesn't get hurt and can play in that game.

Also, they devalue the shit out of Lito Sheppard this past season and only get a 5th rounder for him. When the guy did play last season, he sucked. If they could have somehow traded him before last season began, they certainly could have gotten at least a 3rd rounder at the worst.

I wonder how Howard Eskin will back the Eagles up on this one, as he said last week there was no way Brian was going to leave town (and for those of you who aren't familiar with it, Eskin always backs up the Eagles in any and every situation where they get criticized for something, and that's the only Philly team he does it for). This one falls squarely on the shoulders of the organization.

Made some updates to my mock if anyone cares to look. Basically, I've got Denver taking Everette Brown, and Beanie Wells going to Tampa.

What worries me most about the Cassel trade is that this means Brady is fully operational.

For the Texans, I don't see them takin another tackle in the first round. Winston has done a very good job on the right, and they just spent a 1st on Duane Brown last season and handed him the starting spot when they cut Ephraim Salaam, although it wouldn't surprise me if he is resigned for a more cap friendly number. Right now they would probably go BPA on their board which would throw everything open, but really I see them going DB of some kind (maybe Vontae Davis in your mock, since he's the only 1st round DB talent left at 15) or LB like Maualuga or Matthews out of USC (Matthews had a really good combine and pretty much cemented 1st round status).

Is the O-Line still the problem for the Texans? What about Alex Mack? To put first round talents at the two most important line positions sounds like a winning strategy in the trenches.

Hey, Agent, so you think Beanie Wells would slip to the Jets but they'd still take Knowshon Moreno? Is there some physical difference between the two that you think fits the Jets better?

I can understand the idea of bringing in a veteran QB (Brad Johnson, and now Jon Kitna) to groom Romo, but there comes a time when your back up QB needs to still be able to preform, not just give advice. I still think Rex Grossman would have been best suited as Dallas' backup, but then again, I don't know what goes on in Jerry Jones' mind.

And...I can't even begin to understad how the Broncos thought it would be a good idea to ship off Cutler in hopes of getting Cassel. If Jay Cutler is pissed off, I don't blame him. I just think it's so ridiculous to jump on this guy's dick after he played one good year in New England. In fact, giving any player an insane amount of money after one year is unbelievable.

As far as Cassel's current situation goes, we'll just have to wait and see how he does. He gets a welcomed upgrade at RB with Larry Johnson, but with all due respect to Dwayne Bowe, he's no Randy Moss or Wes Welker. Cassel won't have the luxury of throwing to elite recevers anymore. Tony Gonzalez is getting older, but he should still be a consistent target for Cassel. The OL of the Patriots will be sorely missed by Cassel though. If Cassel is the real deal, then he can play well with the Chiefs, if he isn't, he'll just go down as another free agent/trade bust.

Hey XC..after looking at your draft blog, where do you think the Texans go now with signing an end to play opposite of Mario?

I think that they will look for an OLB in round one. Probably Brian Cushing or Clay Matthews III.

I still believe that swapping picks with the Bucs is possible. I think that it's more likely than not that either Sanchez or Stafford (or both) will be available at 15, and the Bucs could jump ahead of the Jets and Bears. The Texans would still get an OLB at 19.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
Is the O-Line still the problem for the Texans? What about Alex Mack? To put first round talents at the two most important line positions sounds like a winning strategy in the trenches.

Hey, Agent, so you think Beanie Wells would slip to the Jets but they'd still take Knowshon Moreno? Is there some physical difference between the two that you think fits the Jets better?

Lateral movement. The more I've read and watched about the two, I think Moreno's the better back. Neither one are speedsters, but Wells is a banger, whereas Moreno will be more successful in the NFL because of a better ability to give people the slip. His talents would complement Thomas Jones much better than Wells. As a Bears fan, I know when Jones tries to go side-to-side, he hops and stop-jumps, then cuts. Moreno's much smoother. Jones at his best is a north/south banger.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I think that they will look for an OLB in round one. Probably Brian Cushing or Clay Matthews III.

I still believe that swapping picks with the Bucs is possible. I think that it's more likely than not that either Sanchez or Stafford (or both) will be available at 15, and the Bucs could jump ahead of the Jets and Bears. The Texans would still get an OLB at 19.

You don't think they'll add to their O-Line? Seems like that's been their problem since their inception in the league.

I'm reading that the Texans signed Dan Orlovsky to a 3-year, $9 million contract. I don't know why you'd sink that much cash into a backup QB, much less one who kind of sucks.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Rosencopter had to be replaced. Besides, Freeney would probably catch up with Orlovsky before he runs out of the back of the endzone.

You don't think they'll add to their O-Line? Seems like that's been their problem since their inception in the league.

I think that there's a 0% chance that the Texans take an OT in round one. They drafted LT Duane Brown in round one last year, and RT Eric Winston is a very good young player who got a five-year contract extension last season. The big four OT prospects will likely be gone by 15, anyway.

They'll go heavy defense early in the draft, looking at OLB, another DE, FS, CB, and DT. They'll probably get a RB and OL depth in the middle rounds.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

They can't be in a big hurry to get a RB. Slaton was killer last year.

I doubt very much Cushing will get past the Saints. Matthews I'm not sold on.

Connor Barwin had a terrific combine, if you think they'll go that route.

If they go defense, why not DT? Get push up the middle, especially when Mario Williams demands a double team. No one I'd take that high, but either Ziggy Hood or Ron Brace should be there in the second.

I just got back from a weekend of boozing and read the Dawkins news. The room is spinning!

My heart is broken. It's hard to imagine Dawkins in any other jersey but an Eagles one.