TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agent of Oblivion

The 2009 NFL Offseason

What happens to the contracts of Cooper and Smith since both men are missing and presumed dead? I am sure that the bodies will not be found. I believe it takes awhile to legally declare them dead. It is such a tragic event. I read that both men after a couple of hours decided to take off their life preservers and just swim out/end things. I think that them having to choose between the option of possibly dying a long slow death or a short painful death is terrifying. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

What happens to the contracts of Cooper and Smith since both men are missing and presumed dead? I am sure that the bodies will not be found. I believe it takes awhile to legally declare them dead. It is such a tragic event. I read that both men after a couple of hours decided to take off their life preservers and just swim out/end things. I think that them having to choose between the option of possibly dying a long slow death or a short painful death is terrifying. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

Whatever happens, they'll make it on the Pro Bowl this year.

The Cowboys have also released safety Roy Williams, according to ESPN.

He might have fallen off of the wagon these last few years, but he was always my favorite player ever since he arrived in Dallas. Dude made opposing recievers think twice about going across the middle and if they did, he would make them pay for it big time. I'm probably the only one who will miss him though. He missed a great majority of the 08-09 season and the defense still had troubles. Blaming all of the pass coverage woes on Roy Williams is a little unfair. I'm also certain that the Ravens wouldn't have busted out two 70+ yard runs against Dallas had he been there and healthy. I think he can still play, it just remains to be seen. He's been to 5 pro bowls and I think he still has the ability to go to a few more.

Cheech, are you a Pats fan?

Nope.

Been a Raiders fan all my life and probably always will be, even if they continue into the black hole of suck. I have an interest in the Seahawks as well, but that has more to do with my proximity to the team and the ability to get all their games on tv.

The Eagles traded Greg Lewis to the Patriots for a 5th round pick.

Good. Who needs a 7th and Greg Lewis was depth chart fodder for the last few years. I'm sure he'll do fine in New England, which will be the ironic thing. Now when are they going to get around to cutting Reggie Brown? Jason Avant better be praying they don't sign a big name reciever

Ah, gotcha.

Speaking of Seattle, to steal something that somebody other than me originally said: The Seahawks are probably kicking themselves now for throwing all that coin at Houshmanzadeh when TO became available today.

Hey now.

Yeah, I definatly think it was a weird move by the Cowboys. I mean, one rule of thought as to why they didn't cut him (or why Wade Phillips hasn't been fired yet, but it's looking like he won't be...this season) is that it means the amount of other teams / rivals will pick him up and do something with him. Maybe they already tried trading him around like Roy Williams and got nothing.

I definatly think the Seahawks would have been a good fit for both parties:

*Weak division where TO could really shine at least 6 games a year

*Established QB who would work well with TO (and probably put up with his bullshit)

*The teams has the possibility of going far into the playoffs (see:weak division), something TO wants

*He'd probably be seen as a godsend to them

I think signing Housh has kicked them in the balls (in this situation). TO isn't going anywhere for peanuts, but it could have been a cheaper 1-2 year deal than what they gave Housh. TO is also the far better athelete, and there's not too much difference in age. The only thing is the "TO ego" but I'm sure they'd get at least one season without that bullshit. Look what he did Dallas 2 years ago. His name was sought after by everyone and they gave him a huge deal.

Last year with Romo's steady decline in preformance/ injury the Cowboys started losing games and TO got frustrated that he wasn't getting more action (which is a whole different point, to what TO adds to your team in a passing game). I think if the Cowboys were sailing, TO wouldn't have given a shit.

The other thing I don't understand is why the Cowboys didn't go after Housh first, sign him, and then cut TO. Who do they have now? Roy Williams and Crayton? Crayton's more of a slot guy and I have a question mark around Williams.

Basically, if TO hadn't already been to the Eagles and worn out his welcome, I'd be begging for him to come, ego or not. I'm just shocked that the Cowboys didn't have a big backup reciever to be their poster boy. Sudden;y Desean and Curtis aren't looking too bad and the NFC East continues to fall apart. At least in terms of WR. DeSean might even be the best active WR in the group.

Guest Vitamin X

Yeah Jim Mora Jr. was barely able to deal with handling Michael Vick. What makes you think he'd be able to work with TO?

Where TO goes is going to be really interesting. I've never seen an athlete alienate himself and released from so many teams because of character issues while still being one of the best players in his sport as much as him.

The Eagles Friday announced they have agreed to terms with unrestricted free agent safety Sean Jones on a one-year contract.

A second-round draft choice of Cleveland in 2004, Jones (6-1, 225) has played in 60 games (44 starts) during his four-year career with the Browns, recording 286 tackles and three forced fumbles. The 27-year-old Jones ranks third among NFL safeties behind Ed Reed and Oshiomogho Atogwe with 14 interceptions since 2006. He is also one of just four players in the NFL to have at least four interceptions in each of the last three seasons. The others are new teammate Asante Samuel, the Packers' Charles Woodson and the Ravens' Ed Reed.

In 2008, Jones appeared in 12 games and recorded 69 tackles and four interceptions, including one at Philadelphia on December 15th. He underwent knee surgery following the first game of the season vs. Dallas, and was sidelined for the next four contests. Jones missed his rookie campaign after suffering a knee injury in a May minicamp, but rebounded in 2005 to appear in all 16 games and led the team with 20 special teams tackles. The following year, Jones was named the Browns' starting strong safety and went on to post consecutive seasons with 100-plus tackles and five interceptions from 2006-07. Jones also earned a spot on Sports Illustrated''s Dr. Z's All-Pro team following the 2006 season.

A former standout at the University of Georgia, Jones earned first-team All-America honors as a senior in 2003, after serving as the team's defensive captain. A two-time All-Southeastern Conference selection, Jones finished his collegiate career with 250 tackles, seven interceptions and a school-record four blocked kicks.

The Atlanta, GA, native attended Westlake High School. As a senior quarterback in 1999, Jones threw for 2,490 yards and 31 touchdowns, while rushing for 806 yards and 11 scores. He also notched 13 interceptions as a defensive back, en route to all-state and All-USA Today honorable mention honors.

Guest Vitamin X

Ooh, that'd be a good pick up right there. Wasn't Karney a good receiver?

Holy shit. I know he's a cancer and all but I am both shocked and happy they got him. I think having him opposite Lee Evans is going to make a huge difference and hopefully Edwards can be competent enough to make it work.

Remember when I said Trent Edwards was a future great... how he handles this will be the true deciding factor. Don't be surprised if that offense carries them into the playoffs now.

Guest Vitamin X

Buffalo must be happy that they're going to get a whoooooole lot more coverage devoted to them soon. I mean with the Eagles and Cowboys that was a given, but the Bills? Whoa, nelly.

Terrell Owens is a dumbass. I wonder if he will realize how good he had it in Dallas when he's in the freezing cold in Buffalo trying to catch passes from Trent Edwards.

I sense another "accidental overdose" on the horizon.

I actually see this being the beginning of his decent non distracting stint. This season and his last few no matter where he plays will be talked up by BOOYAHS and sports writers when he becomes one of the few receivers who doesn't have to wait for the hall.

This sort of makes sense, although part of me wonders how well flashy superstar T.O. will be embraced in redneck Buffalo. I still really can't imagine the Bills doing any better than a wild card spot this year.

He'll get over well in Toronto, that's what matters.

Actually that was the main reason for this signing. The Bills want to be "North America's Team", and needed more star power.

Ooh, that'd be a good pick up right there. Wasn't Karney a good receiver?

I'd call him Alstott - lite in that he could be counted on when his number was dialed - but his number was seldom dialed in a Sean Payton offense.

The stupid thing is Saints also signed Heath Evans. I have no ill will towards Evans but he's a bit older and has more mileage on him than Karney. Oh and they cut him the day before his wedding. Classy.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=524584

Tomlinson is staying with the Chargers.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3968954

Also, the Jay Cutler situation in Denver has become a major problem.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3968896

Tomlinson electing to restructure works out best for both sides. Sproles is not an every down back and Tomlinson stays in a familiar situation as opposed to learning a new system in his twilight years.

As for Cutler, I have no idea what Denver is doing. If there was any time for them to kiss ass and tell him what he wanted to hear, this was it. They seem to determined to start over at the position and I have no idea why. Cutler's 25, not 35.

Maybe they are really hire on Mark Sanchez or one of the other late round quarterbacks? I really don't know what they are thinking.

In other quarterback news, the San Fran disaster Alex Smith is staying with the Niners and claims he is going to prove everyone wrong by winning back his job. Good luck with that one Alex.