TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agent of Oblivion

The 2009 NFL Offseason

Cutler really must be as much of a pissant as the rest of the league seems to think he is.

I know I'm a bit late to leave my brain fart on this but, I'm not sure how I feel about the Browns trading Winslow. He's been one of the best things on a pretty erratic Offense over the last few years. Obviously he's coming back from injury and had that little spat with the old head coach (who has since been moved on). Maybe that was a deciding factor in trading him for draft picks, but then that's an issue on itself... more draft picks. Browns are always getting more draft picks and building for the future that never seems to be coming.

Guest Czech please!

Yeah, this Belichick tree has never looked too good. Look at these quarterbacks they're installing: Not Jay Cutler, Matt Cassel, possibly Brady Quinn? Yikes. I see failures all around for these Belichicklings. Charlie Weis better turn it around at Notre Dame. Is there an age limit for getting fucked in the ass by Catholic priests? They might waive it for him if he's not careful! Father John is gonna give ol' fatty a hatefucking for ruining Catholic America's Sports Team.

You can kind of see it, can't you? It's not like they're an untalented team, in the way that the Chiefs have been devoid of real talent recently. The problem in Oakland has been bad coaching and bad (sometimes even bizarre) management. With yet another top 5 pick soon to come into the fold, I can kind of imagine this team competing with San Diego for the AFC West. I don't see Kansas City being any good and I suspect that Denver is going to miss Shanahan a lot more than they thought they would, so the window is open.

Guest Czech please!

Yeah, I agree. It's the NFL. Sucking in the NFL is like pushing a rubber duckie to the bottom of the bathtub: you can push and push all you want (now I sound like a priest) to keep a team down, but all you have to do is ease up a little bit and it'll pop right back up to the surface like it's supposed to. It's almost harder to have sustained futility than sustained success. This'll be the year the Raiders show signs of life, by which I mean finish 7-9.

I just saw where Mel Kiper compared Cutler to Jeff George. I think that's pretty harsh. But I'm really starting to wonder about Cutler's mental makeup. The phrase "million-dollar arm and ten-cent head" is starting to flash into my mind.

With the way free agency and general housekeeping is going, I'm pretty optimistic for 2009 for my Raiders. I don't know if it is all Tom Cable or what, but getting Aso and Lechler back was huge and a shock, cutting the crap, and getting JaMarcus Russell, Javon Walker, Tommy Kelly and Justin Fargas to restructure their deals was an added bonus. The Raiders are finally rebuilding through the draft (which is four years too late in my mind), which is a stark change from giving Randy Moss, LaMont Jordan and Warren Sapp mega deals. Not to mention, we have a glut of youngsters like Johnnie Lee Higgins, Chaz Schilens, Zach Miller and Michael Bush who had their small moments at times.

Tom Cable seems like he's into being the Raiders head coach and likes Al, which is more than Lane Kiffin could ever offer. 8-8 won the West last year, and the Chiefs and Broncos have new systems and the Chargers are bound to take fall one of these days. I'm not going not to go overboard and say we'll make the playoffs, but with a head coach with a clear vision for the team, an owner who seems happy with his selection and players giving back money to bring in free agents, it's not hard to feel optimistic.

I just saw where Mel Kiper compared Cutler to Jeff George. I think that's pretty harsh. But I'm really starting to wonder about Cutler's mental makeup. The phrase "million-dollar arm and ten-cent head" is starting to flash into my mind.

I wouldn't go that far. After having a good season and showing potential that he could be the guy Denver builds the team around and you wanna go to Matt Fucking Cassel? Management can fuck over players whenever and it's always refreshing to see someone not just take it. Though it is weird that every sports writer and most fans seem to be on Cutler's side right now, while listening to people around the league who have worked with him call him a vacant dope of a prick.

I wouldn't go that far. After having a good season and showing potential that he could be the guy Denver builds the team around and you wanna go to Matt Fucking Cassel? Management can fuck over players whenever and it's always refreshing to see someone not just take it. Though it is weird that every sports writer and most fans seem to be on Cutler's side right now, while listening to people around the league who have worked with him call him a vacant dope of a prick.

Not saying I want to take my chances with Cassel at all. But after watching Cutler rack up yards and yet always seem to make a key mistake last year, I could do without the histrionics. Remember that Cutler should have cost us the San Diego game at home, which would probably have made the season much worse than it ended up being.

Sure, the organization could whisper all the assurances and sweet nothings it wants in Cutler's ear, but at some point it falls on him to realize he hasn't done much to merit all this ballyhoo except managing to perform to expectation, meet the Broncos halfway, do his job and prove they were wrong about considering a trade, before he's sent to the Lions or somewhere equally as desolate. Just be the leader he's supposed to be. In refusing to do so, even to the point of possibly not coming to the offseason program, he's basically proving his detractors right and ensuring a self-fulfilling scenario with a trade, and even if the Broncos bow to his whims by giving him all the hugs and kisses he wants, it threatens the structure of the team and gives Jay an even larger ego and sense of entitlement, setting up more issues down the road.

Not saying I want to take my chances with Cassel at all. But after watching Cutler rack up yards and yet always seem to make a key mistake last year, I could do without the histrionics. Remember that Cutler should have cost us the San Diego game at home, which would probably have made the season much worse than it ended up being.

That had more to do with no running game, a bad o-line, and a defense that couldn't hold an opponent under 25 points more than twice. Also the fact that once teams adjust to Shanahan's gameplan... usually around week 10, he never makes adjustments. This has been the same thing almost every year since Elway retired. You don't get rid of a Top 5 QB last year who was sacked only 11 times and throws for 616 attempts, completes 62% of his passes, and passes for over 4500 yards... it's just plain old fucking retarded. Especially for Matt Cassel who was 1 point over Cutler's completion percentage and was sacked almost 50 fucking times with a much better all-around offense than Cutler had.

Bragging about a second place finish in the AFC West is like getting chlamydia and celebrating because it's not syphilis.

Funniest thing I've read all day.

The Cards shopping Boldin?

Kurt Warner might get to keep his $2 million, after all.

A league source tells us that the Arizona Cardinals are shopping receiver Anquan Boldin to potential trade partners.

Warner recently has suggested that he’d devote a portion of his salary to signing Boldin to a new contract. (We don’t think Warner really means it.)

Boldin, a six-year veteran, is signed through 2010. He has wanted for roughly a year a significant increase from his current range of $2.5 million to $3 million.

With teammate Larry Fitzgerald at $10 million per year, Boldin is believed to want at least $9 million annually.

Boldin previously has requested a trade. At one point after the Super Bowl, Boldin said that he would not sign a new deal with the Cardinals, and that he wanted to be dealt to a new team. More recently, he had softened in his position, expressing a willingness to consider a new long-term contract to stay with the team.

If this is true, he'd better be in Green by the end of the year.

Also it looks like the 49'ers aren't interested in Garcia. I'm shocked the Bears aren't giving him a sniff as a "backup" for when Orton gets "injured" 6 games into the season.

If this is true, he'd better be in Green by the end of the year.

Well Boldin, ain't the only WR that is going to be on the trade market. Braylon Edwards is supposely going to get traded, same with Torry Holt... Either way any 3 of those WR's will make me forget about Dawkins leaving.

In other news, Travis Henry can now field his own offense as he recently had twins, upping his scorecard to 11 kids with 10 different women. Surprisingly enough, Henry's having a little trouble paying that child support. Time to get that vascetomy, Travis.

Link

Guest Czech please!
Also it looks like the 49'ers aren't interested in Garcia. I'm shocked the Bears aren't giving him a sniff as a "backup" for when Orton gets "injured" 6 games into the season.

Here's what's more puzzling still: at the end of the season, Jerry Angelo gave his State of the Team address, for lack of a better term, and the whole thing was about how much Kyle Orton apparently sucked ass, even though he really didn't. "I am fixated on the quarterback. Everyone says we need defensive linemen and wide receivers but it all starts with the quarterback. You have to have a quarterback! The rest of that is peripherous. [huh?]" Okay, but then all he did was sign Brett Basanez. Additionally, Angelo apparently complained that he's not only under the NFL's salary cap but also the McCaskeys', and he doesn't have the money to sign the players he wants. Somehow this was not bigger news.

Browns news

Browns release Jurevicius

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/article.php?id=9460

Shame his knees exploded, I don't think that's how he'd like to have been remembered going out. Do you think his careers over or is there a chance he'll be picked up by someone again?

Browns sign C.J. Mosley

Shit - we're going to be the new 'Jets'... not sure if that's an improvement for the Browns or not all things considered.

It's probably the most successful drive the Browns will have all season.

Another hit! Man, you guys are really killing pedestrians in here tonight.