TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agent of Oblivion

The 2009 NFL Offseason

Still doesn't beat Elway in '87 though...

Speaking of Broncos' QB's, Jay Cutler put his house and his parents' house up for sale. Looks like it's time for Detroit to make some more calls to Denver.

I'm more surprised at Cutler's reaction... But he's coming off as extremely insecure and whiny about all of this. Players get put up for trade talks but you don't hear them whining to the media about it.

Yeah, he was supposedly to be put up for trade talks but he has a chance to work under a guy who helped set up an offense that had Tom Brady throw for 50 TD passes and take a Matt Cassell who hadn't started since high school and he threw for 21 TD and almost 3,700 yards anyway.

Cutler had a 2.9 INT% (18) and 4.1 TD% (25) in 616 attempts. Cassel, for all his sacks, had a 2.1% INT rate (11) and a 4.1 TD% (21, same as Cutler) in only 516 attempts. Both were able to make plays with their legs to the tune of around a 3.6 YPC and 200+ yards rushing.

Pro rate Cassel out to 616 attempts and he has a line of 4409 yards, 25 TD, and 13 INT along with 56 sacks. Remind you of anybody (ignoring the sacks)?

Also the Broncos have been quietly adding pieces on defense: LB Andra Davis, CB Andre Goodman, S Brian Dawkins, and S Renaldo Hill.

Last year, Goodman/Dawkins/Hill combined for 9 INT. The Broncos as a team had 6!

Not to mention the depth at RB (JJ Arrington, LaMont Jordan, Correll Buckhalter) and WR (Jabar Gaffney). Bringing in two guys familiar with his system can only help transition wise.

You really can't blame Cutler for being upset. I'd be pissed too if my team wanted to trade me after putting up pro-bowl numbers. He couldn't have done more to help his team win. You can say that Cutler blew his teams chances at making the playoffs, but people need to be reminded that football is a team sport. The defense did him no favors at all, especially after letting the Chargers score 52 points in the season finale with a playoff spot on the line.

I don't understand Denver's logic behind wanting to trade for Matt Cassel. His numbers weren't as good as Cutler's and not to mention, Cutler put up decent stats the year before as well. At this point, Cassel is a question mark and Cutler has a better resume. The Patriots had a better record, but in the end couldn't make the playoffs either. Now Cassel is off the market and Cutler wants to be traded. The Broncos did this to themselves and I find it hard to believe that they will be able to replace Cutler's production in the draft or in free agency.

I don't understand Denver's logic behind wanting to trade for Matt Cassel. His numbers weren't as good as Cutler's and not to mention, Cutler put up decent stats the year before as well. At this point, Cassel is a question mark and Cutler has a better resume. The Patriots had a better record, but in the end couldn't make the playoffs either. Now Cassel is off the market and Cutler wants to be traded. The Broncos did this to themselves and I find it hard to believe that they will be able to replace Cutler's production in the draft or in free agency.

If this was Shanahan or Parcells or Cowher, I think people (and Cutler) would be a little bit more forgiving because they have credibility. But when a 32 year old, first time punk head coach comes in and immediately does something like this it doesn't exactly inspire someone with a lot of confidence that they know what they are doing.

Of course, Shanahan and company probably wouldn't have entertained dumping him for Cassel in the first place, but assuming they did.

Easy... the system that McDaniels is bringing with him. Cassel had at least two years to learn the system (backup in 2007) and had a year playing under it where he was quickly getting the hang of it during the second half of the season. With Cutler, there's a question of transition/understanding the system and then being able to put it into practice.

Look at Brett Favre's struggles trying to adjust to what Eric Mangini wanted to do offensively (i.e. protect the football, limit the mistakes, make smart decisions rather than just heave it to nowhere) and it arguably helped cost Mangini his job. Also Cutler threw 616 times last year (in part due to RB issues) and it's highly doubtful he would be asked to do the same so one has to wonder if Cutler can make smart decisions and in the offense that McDaniels runs, that's critical in sustaining drives.

I think people are overrating Cutler due to the struggles around him and underrating Cassel due to the horrible first half he had. In the 2nd half, Cassel threw 14 TD vs. 4 INT in only 7 games. Pro rate that to 16 and you get 32 TD vs. 9 INT... damn good numbers.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

This is an article on NFL.com talking about the Cutler situation. One of the more humorous, albeit retarded things I read is this:

"If you can fire a Mike Shanahan, you can trade a kid like that," an NFL source said. "Everyone is disposable in this league. And (Cutler's) a guy who hasn't proven a thing yet. He's had some great statistics, but he hasn't won a thing yet.

And Matt Cassel has proven something? He's won something that Cutler hasn't? I give Cassel credit for stepping up when given his opportunity, but the recievers and offensive line that he had made him look much better than he actually is. As far as Josh McDaniels bringing the "system" with him, he doesn't have the players nessecary in Denver to make it work right away. No Randy Moss or Wes Welker, and no great offensive line. It's going to be a little harder to find success with just Brandon Marshall at reciever, a downgraded O-line, and no running game to depend on.

It's not like Royal and Stokley are slouches. And that offensive line is in no way a downgrade from NE.

I can't blame Cutler for being upset about the situation, but I can blame him for not being the bigger man here, even if it's not necessarily his fault.

That Denver O-Line last season only allowed 11 sacks (regardless of Cutler behind them) and were 3rd in rushing YPC... definitely not bad given the stable that ran through them.

Marshall can be a Moss-like threat (1,200 yards receiving and 100+ catches last year) and Royal was pretty much a Welker clone with 980 yards and a 10.8 YPC. Jabar Gaffney can fill that #3 or #4 role as he did in New England with no problem at all.

In honesty, I think Denver really does have the pieces to implement the offense rather well and McDaniels is used to a RBBC from New England so he'll find the best 3-4 running backs and utilize them in specialized roles to maximize them.

So some lawyer named DeMaurice Smith is gonna be the new executive director of the NFLPA. Don't know a damn thing about this guy but I hope he does well.

I kinda don't want Cutler traded, because I love his rivalry with Rivers, but jesus, this is a trainwreck you never want from a first year HC.

The broncos have to be kicking themselves for letting Shanahan go....

Some tard calledup the local sports show here in Green Bay and said "We should trade Aaron Rodgers for Jay Cuter"

When the host laughed at this, the caller said "Okay we package Champ Bailey an Cutler for Rodgers"

The host scoffed again and the caller hung up.

Why don't the Chiefs send Cassel to Denver for Jay Cutler? Isn't that a win-win scenario for everyone involved?

That's what I was thinking. The Broncos get the guy they want, the Chiefs get the superior QB and Cutler gets out of Denver with the chance to come back and haunt them several times a year.

Cutler really requested a trade? Poor Broncos. It's one step forward, two steps back. Garcia for starter next season? They can trade for Kolb if they want him.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

Patriots appear primed to make a deal with Panthers for Peppers

By Vic Carucci | NFL.com

Senior Columnist

The trade that sent Matt Cassel and Mike Vrabel to the Kansas City Chiefs appears to be only the first phase of some major wheeling and dealing by the New England Patriots this offseason.

The second phase, NFL sources say, is likely to involve a trade that would send Carolina Panthers defensive end Julius Peppers to the Patriots in exchange for the second-round pick (34th overall) they received from the Chiefs on Feb. 28.

According to league sources, the Patriots and Panthers are hoping to complete the deal at some point between the March 22-25 NFL owners meetings and the start of the draft on April 25.

Peppers, on whom the Panthers have placed a franchise tag that assures him of a one-year contract worth $16.68 million, would be converted to outside linebacker in New England's 3-4 defense.