TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The College Football Thread 12/31 - 1/6

Not only that, doesn't USC already play their home games at the Rose Bowl?

No, that's UCLA. USC plays at the Coliseum.

OK, Brent suggesting the AP could vote USC #1 is a bit much.

He seriously said that? I swear that guy goes crazy about whatever he's seeing on the field. I don't care who's playing, if he's watching a blowout he declares the winning team the best team in the country. He does it nearly every week.

Well no reason to watch the usual Rose Bowl snoozer anymore. Guess that frees the rest of my night up.

I didn't really plan on watching any other bowl except the national title game. So if the usual OU BCS bowl performance is turned in and they're out of it by halftime I may be done with college football for this season already. Damn, this season just flew by. You wait all summer for football to get here and then when it gets here you feel like you barely got a chance to get acquainted. :(

Guest Smues
The marching band is playing an Avenged Sevenfold song?

PSU's band played Bicycle Ride for the win.

I wish they had more instrument players doing the national anthem instead of second-rate pop stars and American Idol rejects

While I still don't think bowl games are a good indicator of how good a conference is (or really a team outside of the bigger bowls that people want to be at) I did think of something funny.

The Big XII is 3-1 in bowl games with the North being 3-0 and the South being 0-1. The 3 games remaining for the South are all very lose-able (well that's a stretch considering who Texas is playing, but you never know. they might not show up).

Wouldn't it be kind of funny if the "weak" North won all their bowl games while the "strong" South lost all theirs? Not that I want that to happen, but I just thought it'd be kind of funny if it did.

So I quit watching the Rose Bowl. Did Musburger declare USC the greatest team ever yet? I bet they're ranked #1 next season and everyone is riding high on them........then they lose at Oregon or something.

Isn't Oregon supposed to be really good next season?

Someone said USC loses on purpose early in the year so they can dominate the Rose Bowl and then be proclaimed the best team ever. I disagree, because their plan almost backfired this year, but it still made me laugh.

5-0 for the Pac 10 in bowl games, who knew?

Orange Bowl has been good so far.

The Doobie Brothers? After that first half, FOX treats us to the Doobie Brothers?

I just got reminded of why I hate FOX's coverage of college football. Chris Rose and name acts at halftime.

The Doobie Brothers? After that first half, FOX treats us to the Doobie Brothers?

I just got reminded of why I hate FOX's coverage of college football. Chris Rose and name acts at halftime.

It could be worse, FOX could have treated us to the Jonas Brothers like they did at halftime during the NFL thanksgiving game.

Nothing at all, it was a good first half. It didn't need to be dragged down by the god damn Doobie Brothers. Just find it stupid how they are going to play up all this tradition and shit of college football and then tell the bands to sit this one out. Let em have a band off at halftime, then maybe ONE of the schools leaves with a little pride.

Really lame "our band is better than your band" pride, but still some pride!

Without a healthy Crabtree, the Texas Tech offense REALLY sucks. They are going to be beyond miserable next year from the look of things. Leach should leave while he has the chance.

And the Red Raiders defense made a big stand earlier after the punt return, but their offense then once again put them with their backs to the wall. They are serviceable, but not when the offense can't do a damn thing positive.

Ole Miss fumbles at the TT 1, then TT gives up a sack and a safety because they tried to run a pass with a FIVE STEP DROP from their own 1. Fucking retards.

I stopped watching after the safety, because the local Fox affliate keeps split screening the game every five minutes telling me about the UTAH SHOWCASE OMFG @5!!! And it was getting annoying.

Well think about it. Ole' Miss was probably jacked that they were 8-4 and going to the Cotton Bowl with the chance to knock off a 1-loss Big 12 team and prove themselves.

Meanwhile Texas Tech is probably down about being totally out of all national title and Big 12 title discussion so early and probably down they aren't going to a BCS bowl despite having one loss. Instead they get to play some 8-4 team.

It set up PERFECTLY for Ole' Miss to have a big game. Another reason bowl games usually suck.

Of course ESPN is already coming out with the "OMG SEC RULZ BIG 12 DROOLZ~!" stuff.

Wow. Alabama looked downright lost against that Utah hurry up. Color me very impressed.

Edit: 14-0 Utes 6 minutes into the game. Alabama just looks completely overmatched right now.

Alabama's playing like a team that doesn't give a crap after being sixty minutes away from the title game a month ago. Utah's playing like a bunch of goddamn headhunters.

This Sugar Bowl is glorious. Utah has the biggest chip on their shoulder in recorded history. I contend that this speaks more to how Alabama was never very good to begin with. I said this since the opening blowout of Clemson. They blew the best of their efforts on the SEC Championship. Down year for the SEC, I gotta say. Florida's a very worthy title contender and probable champion, so there's that for the conference to hang its hat on this year. I hope it doesn't become the Southeast-10 with Florida wrecking everyone for a while. Is this what it felt like when USC started dominating, Pac-10ers?