TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The College Football Thread 12/31 - 1/6

And Georgia was playing much like Florida was at the end of the season last year. They were pissed off, they were tired of hearing about Hawaii and they took it all out on those poor Rainbows.

Yep, College football is all about making memories. The BCS: It's a lot like Disneyland!

I think there is an argument for Utah to be ranked number one, at least in the AP. Manhandled a decent yet overrated SEC (the best football conference in the country!) team. The only undefeated team in Division IA (fuck subdivisions) and they could still finish behind a team with a loss? I hate college football sometimes.

Isn't it a rule now that the AP has to vote the BCS national champion as the #1? I mean, they obviously aren't going to go to bat for UTAH. If Texas wins and Oklahoma wins, they might do it for Texas. I don't see any chance in hell that Utah gets any higher than two or three if lucky. I'm saying they end up #4 when it's all over.

I REALLY hope the voters put Utah at #2, or at the very least ahead of USC, especially after Musberger and ESPN did all of their "USC IS THE GREATEST TEAM IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL AND SHOULD BE VOTED #1 BECAUSE THEY BEAT THE #8 TEAM BY 14 POINTS!!!" bullshit yesterday.

Isn't it a rule now that the AP has to vote the BCS national champion as the #1? I mean, they obviously aren't going to go to bat for UTAH. If Texas wins and Oklahoma wins, they might do it for Texas. I don't see any chance in hell that Utah gets any higher than two or three if lucky. I'm saying they end up #4 when it's all over.

Yeah...

1-Winner of Florida/Oklahoma

2-Texas (if they win)

3- USC

4-Utah

If Texas drops it, Utah gets to number 3 with USC taking 2. But I doubt that'll happen.

Utah will probably get a couple of token first place votes from a couple of sports writers, but that's it.

The AP poll is not part of the BCS. The coaches are supposed to vote the winner of the BCS Championship Game #1 although some have broken rank before. In 2003 three coaches voted USC over LSU. Regardless of what happens to Texas on Monday and what happens in the MNC game, there's little chance Utah ends up #1 in the AP. And really it wouldn't matter anyways if they did because the AP poll champion is just as mythical, if not more so, as the BCS champion.

The coaches poll has to vote for the BCS winner, since the coaches poll is part of the BCS. The AP can vote for whoever they want.

Now, watch Texas destroy Ohio State and Oklahoma beat Florida. Then, we'd have Oklahoma at #1 with Texas AND Utah fans whining. Yay BCS.

Enjoy this, Utah. Looks like the team is getting dismantled now. QB is graduating, coaches are leaving, etc.

Hmm.....ESPN tried to use that illogical football math to say the SEC was better than the Big XII because a hyped up Ole' Miss team beat a down in the dumps Texas Tech team. So does that mean Mountain West>SEC? By god their logic was right!

And if Mt. West>SEC>Big XII>Big Ten then what does that mean for college football? Because of the Mountain West having a better non-conference schedule than the Pac 10 they already declared the Mountain West better. I think using media math we just found the greatest conference in the HISTORY of college football....the Mountain West.

Yeah but Utah lost Alex Smith and Urban Meyer after 2004 and they came back nicely after a few years.

In the initial bowl thread I mentioned that this could be a letdown game for Bama tonight, since there's always that one team that has a mega letdown after not making the bowl they wanted. I picked Bama to win though, feeling Saban would get them ready regardless (Texas is the team I did predict would have the letdown).

At 13-0 Utah should be the national champions and while they have no chance at the BCS title I hope somehow that the AP gives them a share. I want to hear BCS lovers try to defend how over the past 3 years there have been undefeated teams that won't be considered for the national championship: Boise in 2006, Utah now. Boise was more understandable since they beat a bunch of crap teams in the WAC and a down OU team, but Utah beat TCU, BYU, Oregon St. (the mighty USC slayers), and just dismantled an Alabama team that was #1 a few weeks ago.

Hmm.....ESPN tried to use that illogical football math to say the SEC was better than the Big XII because a hyped up Ole' Miss team beat a down in the dumps Texas Tech team. So does that mean Mountain West>SEC? By god their logic was right!

And if Mt. West>SEC>Big XII>Big Ten then what does that mean for college football? Because of the Mountain West having a better non-conference schedule than the Pac 10 they already declared the Mountain West better. I think using media math we just found the greatest conference in the HISTORY of college football....the Mountain West.

Arizona beat BYU, and the PAC-10 won all of their bowl games, so the PAC-10 jumps ahead of the MWC.

Arizona beat BYU, and the PAC-10 won all of their bowl games, so the PAC-10 jumps ahead of the MWC.

They already declared Mt. West better during the season! No tap-backs unless you do a double hop-scotch under the 6th-graders tree!

That's about as much logic as I feel ESPN uses when determining which conference is the best based off bowl games.

Guest Vitamin X
Is this what it felt like when USC started dominating, Pac-10ers?

Pretty much, except there was a string of victories against them for a while that made it seem like it wouldn't last for oh, the past decade or so. Now you just need one of your flagship programs to take a total nosedive like the Huskies did and you're going to be getting there rather quick. Saban can be the one getting into a recruiting scandal.

Breaking news: ESPN is retarded and biased. OMG.

I would give Utah the national title unless OU and UF really destroys the other. Like 55-19 in the 2005 Orange Bowl level of destruction. Utah beat a great TCU team, a good BYU team, won at Michigan (yeah, I know, but they didn't know Michigan would be so bad), beat Oregon State, and destroyed a former #1 team in SEC country. I don't know what more a mid major could EVER do without getting a shot at a national title.

I am starting to wonder if Utah/USC and Penn State/Alabama would be better games. I'm kind of tired of bowl tie-ins.

UCONN/BUFFALO TOMORROW! I'm actually excited about this game. I think it will be a good game and they ae both pretty underrated, although UB has gotten its attention now. I think UConn wins 30-23 or something.

I'm surprised no one mentioned the impact of Andre Smith being out for 'Bama. The outcome might not have been different, but I'm sure John Parker Wilson wouldn't have been running for his life every other play.

The way I see it, if Oklahoma wins next Thursday, then they deserve to be #1. They would have split with Texas and Florida who are both better than anyone that Utah's played, and if you take those two teams off the schedule, the Sooners would still have a better overall resume than the Utes. (2-0 vs. Top 10, 6-0 vs. Top 30 against 2-0 vs. Top 10, 4-0 vs. Top 30.) Also, the common opponent should count for something as OU blew out the same TCU team that Utah was lucky to get by.

On the other hand, if Florida wins the BCS national championship game, Utah deserves to be #1 and get half of the national title. Utah and Florida both have the same number of wins against the Top 10 and the Top 30, and Utah has a slightly better win against Alabama (won by 3 more points despite playing in a virtual road game). Their resumes would be almost exactly the same except for the fact that Florida lost to Ole Miss at home. The Rebs aren't bad or anything, but they're not an elite level team, and winning all your games should count for way more than margin of victory against jobbers when determining the national champion.

Also, any AP voters that put Utah behind USC need to be slapped upside the head with a big hairy cock. (Unless they're into that. Then just, uh, smother them with a smelly vagina or something.)

OU would actually be 2-1 against the Top 10 (they lost to Texas who was 5 at the time).

It does kind of worry me how the Big XII south defenses have been lit in bowl games. Tech really wasn't motivated, but OSU sure as hell was. Then again OU put up over 60 on both those teams so maybe it was just par for the course for both of them.

I'm just ready for this damn game to get here. If my team is going to lose, then I want it to hurry up and happen so I can quit thinking about it. If they're going to win, I want it to happen so I can celebrate. I'm tired of the pressure of waiting. I'm also tired of hearing "OU's never seen a defense like this!" without mentioning that Florida has never seen an offense like this. Once that game ends I don't have to hear that illogical argument anymore. (well the OU's never seen a defense like that is logical, it just leaves out another key component)

Hell I'm not worried about how OU's offense will perform against the Gator D. I'm worried about OU's defense.

I wonder if now the MWC can work their way into the BCS unholy alliance of bowls. I mean top to bottom is the Big East that much better than the Mountain West?

Is Syracuse a better bottom feeder than UNLV? Is a middle of the road Rutgers more impressive than a middle of the road BYU or Air Force?

Why should a 3 loss Big East team be worthy of an automatic bid because they won their division over the Mountain West champion with a single loss (in theory)?

I know it's not going to happen, because the big conferences want their tie in money, but I think if you put Utah, BYU, TCU, and Air Force against Cincy, Rutgers, Pitt and West Virginia in a couple of home-homes the Mountain West teams would have a better record overall against them.

OU would actually be 2-1 against the Top 10 (they lost to Texas who was 5 at the time).

It does kind of worry me how the Big XII south defenses have been lit in bowl games. Tech really wasn't motivated, but OSU sure as hell was. Then again OU put up over 60 on both those teams so maybe it was just par for the course for both of them.

I'm just ready for this damn game to get here. If my team is going to lose, then I want it to hurry up and happen so I can quit thinking about it. If they're going to win, I want it to happen so I can celebrate. I'm tired of the pressure of waiting. I'm also tired of hearing "OU's never seen a defense like this!" without mentioning that Florida has never seen an offense like this. Once that game ends I don't have to hear that illogical argument anymore. (well the OU's never seen a defense like that is logical, it just leaves out another key component)

Hell I'm not worried about how OU's offense will perform against the Gator D. I'm worried about OU's defense.

No, they'd be 3-1 overall against the Top Ten. (Using computer rankings at the end of the season, not poll rankings at time of game.) I'm saying if you take out the two games they played against teams that are better than anyone Utah played which they split (the win over Florida and the loss to Texas) and throw those out, then their remaining record against the Top 10 is 2-0 (wins over TCU and TTU) and their remaining resume is better than Utah's resume in it's entirety.

I wonder if now the MWC can work their way into the BCS unholy alliance of bowls. I mean top to bottom is the Big East that much better than the Mountain West?

I'd say the MWC and Big East are about even top to bottom. It's just that the BCS wants the Northeast to be represented and dosn't care about the Rocky Mountain hinterland.

I take it that nobody learned from Larry Birdine.

Why!? Why would he say that!? WHY!? Fuck you Dominique Franks! FUCK YOU! You just fucked this entire team over. Larry Birdine couldn't keep his big fat yap shut and I guess you couldn't learn from that!

Well the ride was nice but a score similar to 55-19 is probably on the horizon thanks to this dumbfuck.

hahahaha....wow...that was awesome.

Tebow's going to absolutely rape the OU defense now and proclaim how Jesus came to him and the two game-planned how to systematically make OU his bitch.

Guest Vitamin X

Oh, come on. Nothing Franks said was THAT controversial or bulletin board material- he was actually playing the disrespect card-

"The three best receivers in the country came from the Big 12. The three best tight ends came from the Big 12. So we've faced some great offenses, and a lot of people don't understand that other conferences don't have what we face."..."With us being in Florida and playing against Florida, everybody's going to think Tebow should have won the Heisman," Franks said. "But the right person won the Heisman, and we're going to go out there and show everybody the reason why he won it."

And MORE:

Florida linebacker Brandon Spikes said on Saturday it seemed they put most of the best athletes in the Big 12 on offense and that the defenses looked a step slow.

"We've heard it all year," Franks said. "Like I said, this is going to be our chance to prove everybody wrong."

The Sooners' second-team All-Big 12 cornerback also said he was unconcerned about giving Tebow any extra motivation. Historically, Tebow has played some of his best games after being called out by opposing players.

"No, he said he wanted to face a Big 12 defense," countered Franks, who had four interceptions this season. "It's been great listening to all the comments they've been making. On January 8, we're going to see. Everybody is saying our defense is suspect in the back end. Hopefully, he'll throw me the ball a couple of times, and I can get my hands on it."

Doesn't matter, all of Florida will see him as yet another big-mouthed Big 12 player who wants to say how great the Big 12 is and how they're "dispresected" because all everyone does is over-hype the SEC and Florida as a whole.

I'm pretty sure Meyer's looked this over and has spun it to show how no one is giving Florida any credit because they played in such a "lack luster" conference and how their team has no real athletes and that they'll have to pull out all the stops just to keep up with OU.

Yeah...its over. Tim Tebow and the Latter Day Saints will win this in a cakewalk.

Guest Vitamin X

WTF? The SEC is a lackluster conference? You have to work quite a bit to spin that one.

Where did all this love for Ohio State come from? I'm hearing a ton of people picking Ohio State. Phil Steele said "Ohio State will edge Texas, and it won't be from a lack of try by Texas." And then this dude on the Huge show just said Colt McCoy was going to get shut out. The fuck? I figured everyone thought Ohio State was going to get bent over and killed.