TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The College Football Thread 12/31 - 1/6

Maybe but Texas still had two timeouts, so they would have had a decent amount of time left, and I would rather have them (Texas) have to score a TD.

No matter what happens Thursday or the rest of the NFL playoffs, can we retire the "nobody believed in us, we proved people wrong". I heard Ken Whisenhunt say it after winning a home playoff game as a 1.5 pt underdog and I heard Quan Cosby say it after the game tonight.

Why the hell would they go for two there? Texas isn't getting the ball back twice.

Only thing I can think of is that if Texas scores you can still tie by blocking the PAT.

If they had just kicked the PAT they'd be down 24-22 now and a FG would win it. It was an idiotic move.

This is completely false and a big part of why Tressel chose to go for 2. It's not just you though, I saw CFN crucifying him for it too. The thing is that if there are two TDs, someone is going to go for two every time. Either OSU goes for two on the first score or Texas goes for two on the second one. So basically, if Tressel thinks (the chances that OSU scores) + (the chance that Texas will miss an XP) > (the chances that OSU will stop Texas on a 2-pt. conversion), then they should go for it. I'm guessing it was close enough that it hardly affected the game either way. Probably only a 1 or 2% difference either way.

Really fun game anyway, best of the bowl season thus far. Had OSU won, I would have been first in my confidence pool for $11K instead of eliminated, but what can you do. The Buckeyes played about as well as you could expect them to.

I woke up and the game was 17-6, so I got to see the last quarter, and it was a lot of fun. I'm glad most of the bowl games have been good this year. I didn't expect to give a damn about this one (hence falling asleep at 8:30) and it seems like I didn't miss much until I woke up, but great finish. Big 12 = overrated, maybe?

Cosby's post game interview was the dumbest thing ever. ALL YEAR LONG NO ONE BELIEVED IN US. Yeah okay.

Cosby's post game interview was the dumbest thing ever. ALL YEAR LONG NO ONE BELIEVED IN US. Yeah okay.

This is becoming THE cliche interview in all of sports. I have almost no doubt that regardless of who wins on Thursday, someone is going to pull out the "We were disrespected, no one believed in us but ourselves!" crap.

This is becoming THE cliche interview in all of sports. I have almost no doubt that regardless of who wins on Thursday, someone is going to pull out the "We were disrespected, no one believed in us but ourselves!" crap.

It's already become obvious the Oklahoma defense is setting themselves up to be able to say it. Hell, they are basically saying it in interviews before the game. If they win, that is going to be the defensive player of the game battle cry.

As is almost invariably the case this decade, you can blame Bill Belichick and the Patriots for that one. When coaches see that a group of players who have won multiple SB titles can be motivated to believe that don't nobody believe in them but them, they figure that tactic can be used to motivate anyone. If Florida wins, Tebow will claim that nobody believed in him and he was all but ignored by the national media.

It just really bothered me, the whole thing. The interviewer even said some people said Texas didn't deserve to make the BCS. Seriously? I can't think of a single person who said Texas didn't belong in the BCS, and I talk to a lot of college football nuts.

Hogan Made Wrestling: LOVE the new sig, man. That celebration cracked me the fuck up last night, even in a lack of insulin, pain-medicine induced groggy sleepy mood.

Hogan Made Wrestling: LOVE the new sig, man. That celebration cracked me the fuck up last night, even in a lack of insulin, pain-medicine induced groggy sleepy mood.

It somehow slipped my mind to mention it last night, and I was surprised no one else did. I was looking down at the screen reading TSM when my girlfriend shrieked "look at that mullet!" and I looked up to find Mullet Man going hog wild on the TV. Texas trailer park trash in all its glory.

It just really bothered me, the whole thing. The interviewer even said some people said Texas didn't deserve to make the BCS. Seriously? I can't think of a single person who said Texas didn't belong in the BCS, and I talk to a lot of college football nuts.

Maybe the interviewer missed the last 30 seconds of the game and thought he was giving a congratulatory interview to an Ohio State player. Or maybe he just got the talking points backwards on which angle they were supposed to run with which team.

As a diehard Iowa fan and a Big Ten apologist, it strikes me part of the reason the Big Ten gets no respect this time of year (aside from getting their asses kicked by the big-time programs) is that their season is over about 2-3 weeks before everyone else wraps up. The big thing used to be not having a conference title game, but the Pac-10 especially gets away with it by playing right up until the last week of the regular season (including USC-UCLA playing in between the ACC and Big 12 title games on ABC).

They might be more noticed if they stretch the season out...people would watch Ohio State vs. Michigan on Thanksgiving or the weekend after. Finish up the weekend of the conference title games. No it wouldn't cure all their woes but would make things a bit easier.

The Big Ten school presidents have always wanted to end the season before Thanksgiving break so that they believe that the players can concentrate on their studies and be ready for their finals. For that reason they also usually don't have any sporting events taking place during a school's finals week. Unfortunately I think that this hurts them when it comes time now for the BCS, as the Big Ten champs become almost afterthoughts. 2007 was a perfect example...Ohio State loses their next to last game to Illinois, then had to beat Michigan in the last game and basically then was needing a lot of help to get into the BCS game, which happened with everyone losing from Kansas, Missouri, West Virginia, etc. The impression was OSU backed into the national title game.

As expected, Jeff Jagodzinski has been fired by Boston College AD Gene DiFilippo due to him interviewing for the Jets' head coach position. How dare any coach think of leaving an elite college football institution like Boston College for an NFL job? He should be grateful to even step foot on their campus let alone coach the team.

With anything there's always more to the story than the general public knows and I don't follow BC closely enough to know if Jagodzinski was a good coach or not but this whole situation seems rather silly.

He was a good coach, and well-liked, but they were looking for somebody who was going to stick around for a while. Apparently Jags was told Saturday not to interview for the job or he'd get canned, but alas, away he went. Maybe that's an indication of the demand for his talents.

Guest Czecherbear
As a diehard Iowa fan and a Big Ten apologist, it strikes me part of the reason the Big Ten gets no respect this time of year (aside from getting their asses kicked by the big-time programs) is that their season is over about 2-3 weeks before everyone else wraps up.

Why are you a "Big Ten apologist," BruiserKC? What is your loyalty to the Big Ten Conference?

Wouldn't it be he is a Diehard Iowa fan and they are in the Big 10?

Pretty sure that's enough to be loyal to the conference.

I only really see that in the Big Ten and the SEC though. It's sort of weird, most of the Pac 10 team fans seem to love to point out how much their conference sucks. Same goes with the Big 12 fans. It's strange, I don't see why it happens with the SEC and Big 10.

As expected, Jeff Jagodzinski has been fired by Boston College AD Gene DiFilippo due to him interviewing for the Jets' head coach position. How dare any coach think of leaving an elite college football institution like Boston College for an NFL job? He should be grateful to even step foot on their campus let alone coach the team.

With anything there's always more to the story than the general public knows and I don't follow BC closely enough to know if Jagodzinski was a good coach or not but this whole situation seems rather silly.

Wel Rumour has it that he was the one calling NFL teams trying to get out of BC. I would have to guess he may not like the whole Recruiting thing, especially with BC's academic requirements making it more difficult to land top recruits. Also, I have to believe he was fired for doing this because what kids are going to want to go play for a guy looking to leave either now, or in the very near future?

Guest Czecherbear

I applaud this move. Way to preemptively deal with those careerists before they bolt on half-realized projects. I don't know that it sets a very good precedent, but after the whole Bobby Petrino saga, it's nice for once to see one of these one-foot-out-the-door-at-all-times coaches get zapped.