TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dobbs 3K

More Middle East turmoil

Well, if you haven't been following this story over the past few days, Hamas started firing rockets at Israel (once again). Israel has responded with heavy military attacks into Gaza, and over 300 people have been killed so far. Of course, the usual condemnations have been directed at both sides.

Thoughts?

Well, if you haven't been following this story over the past few days, Hamas started firing rockets at Israel (once again). Israel has responded with heavy military attacks into Gaza, and over 300 people have been killed so far. Of course, the usual condemnations have been directed at both sides.

Thoughts?

Sing_A.jpg

Yeah, this one isn't going to end well. It already can't end well.

While any country firing rockets at another one is unacceptable, I don't think this is quite the way Israel needs to go about solving the problem.

The problem is I'm not sure what an acceptable solution would be.

Yeah, this one isn't going to end well. It already can't end well.

While any country firing rockets at another one is unacceptable, I don't think this is quite the way Israel needs to go about solving the problem.

The problem is I'm not sure what an acceptable solution would be.

Pretty much my thoughts.

this just seems like a repeat of the Lebanon 2005 (i think it was) disaster for Israel, except they are hitting harder this time. I remember word for word the tough guy rhetoric that all the usual suspects used about how Israel was doing the right thing. The gov't has since flat out declared it a failure and it cost the last guy his position.

We all know how this will end:

Hamas won't be wiped out at all.

Lots of civilians wiped out in Gaza by Israeli airstrikes.

The only people helping the people in Gaza with destroyed houses and wiped out neighborhoods and dead family members will be... Hamas

Hamas becomes more popular with them, Israel becomes even more hated (if thats possible) by the people in the territories.

Repeat the cycle in 2 years. Maybe from a different location.

A Fatah Friend Writes: I'm Supporting the Israeli Air Force

30 Dec 2008 10:01 am

It's a strange world, but there you have it. I've been talking to friends of mine, former Palestinian Authority intelligence officials (ejected from power by the Hamas coup), and they tell me that not only are they rooting for the Israelis to decimate Hamas, but that Fatah has actually been assisting the Israelis with targeting information...

http://jeffreygoldberg.theatlantic.com/arc...es_im_suppo.php

Weird.

From what I can gather, Fatah at least wanted some sort of peace with Israel, which would have served both peoples well; while Hamas wants to wipe Israel off the map. If that's the truth, I can see why some Palestinian's are siding with Israel in this.

Nobody likes getting cell phone messages from strange callers. Especially not when the callers say they're about to level your house.

But residents of Gaza say those are exactly the kind of messages they're getting from the Israel Defense Forces.

According to Ha'Aretz, "Palestinians reported that in some cases, the caller leaves a message on their voice mail warning that the IDF will bomb any house where weapons are rockets are found and the owners of the houses will be the ones to suffer the consequences."

Ha'Aretz says the calls are "a new tactic meant to reduce civilian casualties."

http://blog.wired.com/defense/2009/01/israel-calls-th.html

Glad to see that they're trying to reduce civilian casualties.

Apparently very few, thank goodness.

Everyday I hear about the strikes I hear, "Israelis bombed the home of a Hamas leader, killing him and most of his family. Some rockets also flew into Israel, no one was seriously injured."

I gotta wonder. Why keep launching those rockets?

I don't think its possible to overreact to someone launching rockets at your countrymen.

Okay, well, thats not entirely true, but honestly if they just started firing rockets back and firing mortars WAY more Palestinians would die. Tit for tat type thing.

There's no reason Israel shouldn't just outright crush Hamas at this point. I mean, Egypt is even pointing the finger at Hamas at this, claiming they warned them this would happen if they started attacking Israel again. It's 2008, not 1968. I don't think Israelis should be expected to live in constant fear of terrorists anymore. Yeah, we can rehash the historical contexts ad nauseum, but when you attack the controlling power of your country, your people are going to suffer the consequences. The best thing for the region would be the eradication of Hamas, and I think even many Arabs wouldn't be against it.

The invasion of Gaza has begun. As the bombardment of Gaza has failed to break Palestinian "will," now the gamble is that ground troops will. According to Ha'aretz, a significant portion of Israeli "top commanders" dissented from the decision to invade, arguing that the airstrikes had already dealt Hamas a "heavy blow" and that Israeli casualties could be heavy as well...

http://attackerman.firedoglake.com/2009/01...invasionofgaza/

There's no reason Israel shouldn't just outright crush Hamas at this point. I mean, Egypt is even pointing the finger at Hamas at this, claiming they warned them this would happen if they started attacking Israel again. It's 2008, not 1968. I don't think Israelis should be expected to live in constant fear of terrorists anymore.

Indeed, Israelis should not have to live in such conditions, nor should Palestinians have to live in their virtual prison where malnutrition, unemployment and post traumatic stress disorder are rampant.

Yeah, we can rehash the historical contexts ad nauseum, but when you attack the controlling power of your country, your people are going to suffer the consequences. The best thing for the region would be the eradication of Hamas, and I think even many Arabs wouldn't be against it.

Historical context means everything in these situations. But with that aside, how would you propose the 'eradication' of Hamas? More bombings to add to the 400+ death toll?

I'm not surprised, considering that virtually the entire fucking Middle East doesn't even acknowledge their existence.

Realistically, how else can Israel respond? Peace talks? Pretty much every time they've gone that route, the Palestinian militans have violently broken the truce. Like pbone noted, practically every Muslim group in or around this country has attacked them at some point, some of them over and over again. The civilian deaths are a tragedy, obviously. But it's a nearly inevitable one, considering Hamas's standard tactic of hiding terrorists and criminals inside people's homes. Hamas has flatly stated that their entire gameplan is to kill every Jew they can get their hands on until the nation of Israel is eradicated from the face of the earth, with no quarter or surrender asked or given. How are you supposed to deal with an enemy like that?

so much misinformation with this and the bullshit continues. lots of innocent people dying. the text messages and radio warnings are a complete farce once you realize there is no where for the people of Gaza to flee to.

and if you think that the other countries in the region are in support for Israel... you have to realize the fear they have and the world of shit they'd be in if they messed with America's vested interest.

this whole thing by definition is a war crime.

A number of writers have noted the possibility of Hamas being politically strengthened by Israel’s bombing of Gaza, just as Hezbollah were strengthened by Israel’s 2006 bombing of Lebanon. This would obviously be a bad outcome, but it’s important to understand that it would not be the worst. A much worse outcome would be that the bombings weaken Hamas while strengthening Salafist elements in Gaza, who consider Hamas a bunch of timid, half-stepping sellouts...

http://wonkroom.thinkprogress.org/