TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Niggardly King

The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button

For the last three months there has not been one film that I wanted to see more than this... and it lived up to the hype that I built up for it, which rarely happens. This has been a strong last month of films I've seen and this one is probably my favorite.

If it were another year, Brad Pitt would have locked up the Best Actor award... but it's going to be tough to be recognized this year with Mickey Rourke, Clint Eastwood, and Frank Langella pretty much the favorites to win the award. Cate will more than likely win for Best Actress. Taraji P. Henson and Tilda Swinton should both get nods in the supporting categories. It would be nice to see Jason Flemyng get a nod, but that won't happen. Almost forgot about David Fincher, who will more than likely win Best Director.

Oh, sorry... fuck the awards talk... I really enjoyed this film and would recommend all of you to see it.

Really? I thought it was bland as all hell. Once you get past the gimmick of Benjamin Button's age, it's not that interesting of a story. I walked out of it thinking it was almost exactly like The Notebook for the most part. Flashback storytelling interspersed with modern day happenings with the protagonists set in the South.

Although old lady and toddler Benjamin walking and holding hands and her leaning down for a kiss was a sweet moment towards the end of the film.

I can see some nods going out for Pitt, and Cate, but I didn't walk away going, WOW, from it.

I saw it, and I won't say it's perfect, but I really enjoyed it a lot. It did drag in a few parts but for a movie close to 3 hours, it went by pretty quick for me. Hell, Seven Pounds dragged much more then this, and it was only about 2 hours.

Loved all the acting. This was probably one of Brad Pitt's best acting in quite some time I think Brad Pitt, Cate Blanchett, and Taraji P. Henson all deserve Oscar nominations. They really are the glue that held this movie together.

It's implied.

Edit: Well, at least in one character's view (the old hag) Benjamin Button is painted a pedophile. He was just being a kid though, like Michael Jackson. Only he really was a kid, but not really.

Wow. This movie was wonderful. The guy who played Captain Mike needs to get some recognition in the best supporting actor category. And certainly the original poster was right with his recognition of the actress who played Queenie, and Jason Flemyng's character, but I don't think Pitt or Blanchett did a particularly great job to deserve winning the award, though they'll probably be nominated simply because they're big names in an Oscar-worthy picture. Blanchett was far better in her performance of Bob Dylan in I'm Not There and Brad Pitt shined most, in my opinion, as Mickey in Snatch.

I went into the movie thinking it would be a Forrest Gump-type movie where it upholds the virtue of the one man striving to live a normal life, but it seemed like it took that concept for granted. Benjamin Button dealt more often with the other characters problems than his own. He simply tried to live the best human life he could. I especially loved the nods to the silent film era in one character's recurring flashbacks.

I thought this was an excellent movie. Very emotional with good performances all around. I loved the story and liked how each aspect of Benjamin's life was layed out perfectly. Nothing felt rushed or dragged. It's a long film but it doesn't feel like it at all. I also agree that the woman who played Queenie deserves some award recognition.

Liked it, didn't love it.

I couldn't get into the love story between Benjamin and Daisey. She came off very Jenny-like from Forrest Gump. I just couldn't get in to it at any time.

The longer the movie went the less interested I was. Before he hit 40 years old was when the story was at its best. I was also a little surprised by how far they aged the character back.

I knew he would get younger looking, but didn't think he'd shrink back to baby sized

spoiler, just in case

And yeah, Captain Mike was the shit.