TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE General Discussion - January 2009

A couple of interesting points from JR's latest blog -

Speaking of Cena, I hear his FU finishing maneuver is being renamed "The Throwback" which works for me and is certainly easier for me to communicate to my 5 year old granddaughter who's a Cena fan of sorts. It will be interesting to see how much knee jerk reaction this name change creates in the illustrious media. Knowing today's trends and the vocal minority of some fans who have enough product knowledge to be dangerous, too much.

You knew this was coming, and I don't have any issue with it. I wonder what the STFU will be switched to - If we're really lucky he might just drop it from his repertoire. What came first with Cena regarding the STF - The move or the name of the move?

The move.

Cena was in a submission Triple Threat or Handicap (don't remember which) against Kurt Angle and Chris Masters. He debuted the move that match, before it got named the next week.

He was put in a submission match with Masters with the hook being that he did not know a submission.

But he proved those naysayers wrong!

I remember Cena and Masters had a lot of random interactions on RAW, with Cena always coming out on top

He still does the throwback sometimes. it's the move he does where the opponent is bent over and he sort of jumps over them doing a blockbuster sort of move.

It's the "Boston Blockbuster." At least that's what J.R. calls it.

Just a question...what's the current writing team? A friend of mine thinks Raw's head writer left and a bunch of new guys signed on for some reason a while back...I wanted to know if that was true.

Freddy Prinze Jr. joined the writing team last year.

Former WWE Raw General Manager Eric Bischoff posted a blog today commenting on a few topical subjects.

Bischoff issued his thoughts on Waxman's report regarding steroids in professiona wrestling. "The market will mandate that WWE clean up their act," Bischoff wrote. "Advertising dollars determine who survives and who gets the ax in the world of television. No advertiser wants to be associated with a program or company that has the kind of record that WWE was piling up."

Bischoff ripped Matt Hardy (as well as his brother Jeff) over his recent review of The Wrestler. "Matt, you are a friggin goof," Bischoff wrote. "Lets set aside the fact that your brother is walking a 'three strikes and you're out" tight rope as a result of his drug abuse, and if internet "news" was accurate, suffered the loss of his home and property due to a fire because he was too irresponsible to insure it. Your recent recap of your "lifestyle" frames you as a candidate to the Jake Roberts Hall of Fame. Your suggestion that you and your generation are "smarter and more responsible" than previous generations of wrestlers makes me sick. You are a mid-card talent that should be grateful to even get a check every other week. Enjoy it while it lasts. And rather than looking down your nose at previous generations of professional wrestlers, donate a portion of your check to one of them and ask them to point out all the parallels between your current career path/lifestyle and theirs. It would be the smartest and most responsible thing you could do."

http://www.ericbischoff.com/blog.asp?Path=...mp;MaxListings=

Bischoff usually has plenty to say on his blog. Wonder if he has a second book in the works.

http://www.wwe.com/inside/overtheropes/new...otos/divasflex/

WWE.com's photos from Beth, Candice, and Leyla's FLEX photoshoot. You know, for the kids!

Just wait until the yearly Playboy storyline that leads into WM. I wonder if will come in coloring book form for the kiddies...

Also JR answers the STFU question in a blog follow-up today:

Just a couple of quick notes.....John Cena's submission hold formerly known as the STFU is now going to be called the STF....that should stop the presses.

We usually know by now who the Playboy Diva is. As I recall, the Maria photos were a done deal before they even did the Ashley/Santino angle at the Rumble. I really think this might be a PG casualty this year.

An interview by the 'great' Brandon Walker that sheds a lot of light on certain backstage going-ons.

Chris Harris Interview

www.MondayNightMayhem.com

Monday Night Mayhem radio with Chris Harris

Hosts: Big Mosh, Blade, DFL

The Mayhem Crew welcomed Chris Harris to the show, and asked him what he has been up to since his release from World Wrestling Entertainment this past August. The "Wildcat" thanked the guys for having him on and said that he is "trying to recover," get on track, and back into the wrestling world, "so we'll see what happens."

Mosh then asked Chris where it "went wrong," with regards to the "Braden Walker" WWE character and if he expected to be used as "Wildcat" Chris Harris, not a "different" moniker. Chris said that when he signed, he knew he would have a different name for trademarking purposes since Chris Harris is his real name, "but when I got there they changed everything, my personality, my look, my name." He then mentioned that he had 20 minutes before his first match on WWE television to come up with a name.

Blade and Mosh went on to ask that if Chris were to return to World Wrestling Entertainment, what would he change and why? Chris said that he would not even return to the WWE in the first place, as it was "the most miserable experience of (his) life." On the other hand, however, Chris said that if he did not go, he would always wonder "What if?" Chris added that he would talk people out of going there if he had that chance now.

The Mayhem Crew then talked about Chris' departure from TNA and some of the rumors surrounding it, and asked Chris to clear those up with the truth. Chris said that when he was leaving TNA, he thought he would be doing a good thing by going to the WWE after being in TNA for five or six years. He said that when he left, he never thought of being able to go back to TNA if the WWE stint didn't work out, but "they're not feeling the same way...because they're a little bit more pissed off than I thought." He again said he thought he would be doing a good thing by going to World Wrestling Entertainment, "but when I got there (for a billion dollar company), it was the most ridiculous, miserable company I've ever seen."

Blade asked Chris for a little more insight on the day of his first television appearance when he had to come up with his own name, and asked if there was any direction at all, simply because it did not sound like there was. Chris then started talking about how he arrived to the TV tapings without any idea as to if he was even going to be used that night. From there, he said, sometime in the afternoon is when the whole name discussion and gear ideas came about, "which is where I got that stupid singlet," and said by that theory, it does not look like there was any direction at all.

Then, as an example, he used Ron Killings (R. Truth), as he had six weeks of vignettes before his return to the WWE, "so when he finally came out people knew who he was." He said instead of something like that, he was just thrown out there with a completely different name and look, and expected to make it work. "These guys are supposed to be pros, it's a billion dollar company, and for them to just throw me out there like that, I think it was set up to fail."

Mosh mentioned how it has seemed from past experiences that those who land up signing with the WWE from TNA seem to get buried or not used properly -- as seen with "The Alpha Male" Monty Brown (Marcus Cor Von), Kaz (Frankie Kazarian), among others, and asked Chris if he agreed with those beliefs. Chris said that if he admitted that, "It would be a bullsh*t excuse." But on the same token, he said he thought he would be given a good shot, "but now that I've gone through the whole experience, I really don't know...I don't know." Chris mentioned Killings again, saying that he even came from TNA, he originally was in World Wrestling Entertainment before that, so he already had friends there and had a good shot once he came back.

Blade and Mosh then talked about America's Most Wanted's run in TNA, capped off by several NWA World Tag Team Title reigns, and asked Chris that if they both went up to the WWE as a tag team, if he thinks the outcome would have been better. Chris said that we will never know, but maybe it would have worked out for the better. He said that they were told by various people that the WWE was interested in both of them, "and maybe AMW would've worked there, but once I got an opportunity I decided to jump on it. It could've been a different story if it was me and Storm, but we'll never know...We'll never know."

Blade asked Chris if there was ever any talk of "repackaging" the Braden Walker character to something different after the first week or two, seeing as how it was not working out. Chris said that he had multiple meetings with the WWE Creative Team, "people in Tampa," among others, and gave them countless ideas which they were going to use until he got to the shows. When he asked about his ideas that they liked, he was told they were "going in a different direction," which he said was obviously no direction at all. He added that there were multiple ideas thrown around, but none of them panned out.

The Mayhem Crew then discussed the backstage segment we saw on ECW On Sci-Fi" with the now-current ECW Champion, Matt Hardy and Chris, and asked him if anything was supposed to come out of that, and/or if it was lost in the shuffle. Chris said that from what he was told, they wanted to have Matt and Chris work a little feud with one another, but it was already thrown out the window the week after that first segment. "It was just an overall frustrating experience."

Mosh talked about "The Tennessee Cowboy" James Storm's success in Beer Money since Chris' departure from TNA, and asked Chris if he has been surprised at all by any or all of it. Chris said "not at all," as he has said from day one that if he and James were to ever split America's Most Wanted, "he would be just as fine on his own." He added that they are a great team, and that he is proud of their accomplishments. Chris believes that both James and Robert (Roode) are both great workers, and every time he watches them together, he "gets a chuckle."

Many fans remember Chris' last storyline before leaving TNA, where he was "complaining" to anyone who would listen about his lack of TV time. Chris said that there might have been a little truth to it, but it was never as bad as the promos were making it seem. He went on to say it was just simply him venting his frustrations to the writing team, and them turning it into an angle. He said that it was all blown out of proportion after not getting a good opportunity after AMW's split, and since he was asked to do it, he did.

As a final open statement to anybody in World Wrestling Entertainment, TNA, or the fans, Chris said that he will not say what he wants to say to certain select people in the WWE, and also that he hopes that he and TNA still have some sort of working relationship in the future. He then thanked all of his fans for their continued support through the "rough times," and that wherever he winds up, he hopes to make an impact. Could that be a sign of things to come???

More in this near 40-minute interview with The "Wildcat," including his uncensored thoughts and takes whether or not ECW is seen as an "afterthought" by the WWE, his thoughts on the current status of tag team wrestling going into 2009, the future of WWE and TNA in the new year, and so much more!

The Mayhem strongly encourages you to check out Chris' official website, located @ www.WildCatChrisHarris.com. Bookers, feel free to contact Chris directly via e-mail @ [email protected].

It sounds like Harris went in with a bad attitude, or at least got one as soon as he arrived and realized he wasn't going to get the star treatment. I like new character vignettes and it surely would have helped his debut, however I think the wwe might have soured on him when he showed up out of shape. Then again, maybe the wwe had no plans on pushing the kid and just wanted to shit all over a TNA original.

John Cena didn't have pre-debut vignettes, either did Orton or Batista. More recently pre-debut vignettes are hit and miss, some talent - Kingston, Kizarny, R-Truth, Carlito, have got the vignette treatment whereas Evan Bourne, Jack Swagger, Ricky Ortiz, and DJ Gabriel all debuted under the same NTI program that Braden Walker did, Gavin Spears did as well but has already been released. Scotty Goldman and Braddock just appeared on SD! with no fanfare. Ted Dibiase got a bit of a build-up, Manu came out of nowhere but got the second generation push, Dolph Ziggler had backstage bits before his first match.

I think it's a case where both parties soured on each other to the point it was a toxic relationship.

My local paper today reported in the business section that WWE will be slashing 10% of their workers to cut costs. While no figure regarding the number of their employees has been released it is estimated to be around 570, so about 57 jobs will go. I guess that kinda shows why Val Venis got cut.

So FCW guys all have their names changed for them months in advance, but Harris got to pick his own name and outfit only hours before going on TV.

Bullshit.

While your right, the wrestlers at FCW get different names and gimmicks in months in advance it doesn't mean that the WWE won't change that name or gimmick the day of a show. Harris didn't really have a gimmick as Branden Walker, he was just Branden Walker. Instead of impressing anyone, his promos and matches sucked ass. He just came off as lazy and wasn't really trying. Harris's release is mostly his fault as well.

All the talk about sacrifices being made for the PG style plus Home Alone discussion led me to envision a George Lucas-esque (

Jean-Paul Lev-esque's cousin, I suppose

) re-edit of an Extreme Rules match with green Army Men instead of thumbtacks and licorice instead of barbed wire.

http://www.wwe.com/inside/overtheropes/new...otos/divasflex/

WWE.com's photos from Beth, Candice, and Leyla's FLEX photoshoot. You know, for the kids!

I have images of Kevin McCallister buying hootenanies & such in Home Alone in my head when I read that.

I think of this:

WWE_motivational_poster.jpg

Chris Harris is full of fucking shit. There were pictures of him wearing that singlet in dark matches months before he was put on TV.

An interview by the 'great' Brandon Walker that sheds a lot of light on certain backstage going-ons.

I don't know why he's bitching

Must be the booze and the pills speaking for him. He had a chance and he blew it. He should have never showed up in the WWE out of shape.

Random thought.. I was thinking about how the ECW title is defended almost every week on their show and I really miss the idea of a real TV Title. I wish WWE'd bring that in. I think it'd even work as a floating title where the champ changes or travels to the other brands for a month at a time, taking on all comers, before moving on to the next brand.

Ie: January - Raw, February - Smackdown, March - ECW.. restart cycle..

Former WWE Raw General Manager Eric Bischoff posted a blog today commenting on a few topical subjects.

Bischoff issued his thoughts on Waxman's report regarding steroids in professiona wrestling. "The market will mandate that WWE clean up their act," Bischoff wrote. "Advertising dollars determine who survives and who gets the ax in the world of television. No advertiser wants to be associated with a program or company that has the kind of record that WWE was piling up."

Bischoff ripped Matt Hardy (as well as his brother Jeff) over his recent review of The Wrestler. "Matt, you are a friggin goof," Bischoff wrote. "Lets set aside the fact that your brother is walking a 'three strikes and you're out" tight rope as a result of his drug abuse, and if internet "news" was accurate, suffered the loss of his home and property due to a fire because he was too irresponsible to insure it. Your recent recap of your "lifestyle" frames you as a candidate to the Jake Roberts Hall of Fame. Your suggestion that you and your generation are "smarter and more responsible" than previous generations of wrestlers makes me sick. You are a mid-card talent that should be grateful to even get a check every other week. Enjoy it while it lasts. And rather than looking down your nose at previous generations of professional wrestlers, donate a portion of your check to one of them and ask them to point out all the parallels between your current career path/lifestyle and theirs. It would be the smartest and most responsible thing you could do."

http://www.ericbischoff.com/blog.asp?Path=...mp;MaxListings=

Bischoff usually has plenty to say on his blog. Wonder if he has a second book in the works.

And Bischoff was just some shitty announcer who got lucky that Ted Turner basically gave him a blank check which allowed him to sign everyone under the sun. Who's he to criticize anyone? The one good idea he had was ripped off from Japan.

File this under "The more things change, the more they stay the same" -

(from F4wonline and/or pwinsider via rajah.com)

-- Steve Keirn, who oversees WWE's developmental program, Florida Championship Wrestling, made an outrageous comment during his appearance on the Bubba the Love Sponge radio show last week mere days after the release of the Waxman documents relating to steroids in professional wrestling.

Keirn said WWE only wants guys who are between 6-foot-2 and 6-foot-6 with lean physiques that would look good on television. Keirn basically said WWE doesn't want any small wrestlers by saying "they don't want anyone who is 5-foot-1." He also added that with all due respect to Rey Mysterio, who he said is one of the biggest superstars in wrestling today, WWE is looking for "bigger guys than that."

In the spring of 2006, Vince McMahon reportedly issued a directive to John Laurinaitis saying he only wanted him to sign wrestlers who are at least 6-foot-2 and 240 pounds to a contract. While the roster as a whole is the probably the smallest in the company's history, little has changed since then as WWE still primarily signs wrestlers who match that very description -- even if they have little to no prior wrestling experience. With the exception of a handful of wrestlers in developmental (TJ Wilson, Hade Vansen and Chris Cage), the majority of the roster & recent signees are over six feet tall and 200 pounds.

Unbelievable. Keirn is speaking in generalities here because Low-Ki was recently signed, but if you're "undersized" you better be an elite worker. And Low-Ki very likely only got hired because Mysterio really went to bat for him. McMahon should look at the boxing PPV numbers and compare what de la Hoya and Mayweather pull(ed) in versus what the heavyweight scene is drawing these days.

I guess Chris Jericho, Shawn Michaels, CM Punk, Rey Mysterio, Kofi Kingston, Santino, Evan Bourne, Miz, Morrison, Carlito, Primo, Finlay, Kendrick, Kennedy, and Cody Rhodes should all be looking for another line of work.

-- Regarding last week's release of ECW wrestler Gavin Spears, while he was regarded as one of the most technically proficient workers on the roster, officials felt he was too skinny and "didn't have the right look." They gave him a few matches on ECW as part of their "new talent initiative," but officials had no real plans for him from the start. Scotty Goldman and Ryan Braddock, who debuted around the same time as Spears, fall in the same category. This explains why it took all three so long to be called up to the roster, and then do little of note upon their respective arrivals. Spears is now unemployed, and both Goldman & Braddock haven't appeared on television in months. Between the three of them, they've garnered a total of one win in WWE (Braddock won a match in September as a result of a disqualification, after Jesse and Festus wrapped him in bubble wrap and duct tape).

So basically the wwe had no plans for the NTI call-ups, but gave long time developmentals the chance to sink or swim with no booking/creative support.