TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE General Discussion - January 2009

Or they could do a shocking bait and switch, show a challenger for one of the belts knocked out in their locker room, have the GM panic that they don't have their show's main event, and then bam Mr. Money in the Bank saves the day and wins the title.

No way. Simple concept that works does not equal lazy booking. I encourage anything that gives the mid-card workers something to do.

I would say that it is one of the few things that casual and hardcore fans can agree on.

Or they could do a shocking bait and switch, show a challenger for one of the belts knocked out in their locker room, have the GM panic that they don't have their show's main event, and then bam Mr. Money in the Bank saves the day and wins the title.

That’s actually a pretty good way for a babyface to use the MITB shot without looking like a cheap opportunist (ie CM Punk’s win). I wouldn’t do it at WM but at another ppv though.

What's happening to all of the storylines heading into Mania? They shoot their top heel in the face on RAW, they have a nonsensical Hardy turn, and their celebrity pulls out of the show...all in one week!

Serves the smarks right. NOT SO SMART NOW ARE YOU [/Angry Vince]

No way. Simple concept that works does not equal lazy booking. I encourage anything that gives the mid-card workers something to do.

I would say that it is one of the few things that casual and hardcore fans can agree on.

It's just lame that they have nothing for a bunch of midcarders, so thye just put 6-8 guys out there in a clusterfuck match. I'd rather they try to write feuds and angles for the guys instead of that. I just feel the concept is getting a little tired.

That’s actually a pretty good way for a babyface to use the MITB shot without looking like a cheap opportunist (ie CM Punk’s win). I wouldn’t do it at WM but at another ppv though.

Really though, anyone who uses it in an actual match instead of capitalizing on a worn down opponent kind of looks dumb. I guess RVD slides by because he knew he would have an awesome home field advantage, but who would use it on a match when they could just attack a beaten up champion like Edge and Punk have done.

It's just lame that they have nothing for a bunch of midcarders, so thye just put 6-8 guys out there in a clusterfuck match. I'd rather they try to write feuds and angles for the guys instead of that. I just feel the concept is getting a little tired.

I wouldn't call it a "clusterfuck" match... All of the Money in the Banks matches since the start of the concept have been entertaining matches, some more so then others. Even the worst one which was problay in 2006 was entertaining.

Who can hate on MITB? It's a match that everyone looks forward to and it's concept has forced WWE to put titles on 3 guys for the first time in their careers. It also provides Mania with a highspot match that otherwise would go unbooked. And I'm all for variety.

Really though, anyone who uses it in an actual match instead of capitalizing on a worn down opponent kind of looks dumb. I guess RVD slides by because he knew he would have an awesome home field advantage, but who would use it on a match when they could just attack a beaten up champion like Edge and Punk have done.

What about sportsmanship and the want to actual "Win" the world title? I can only imagine Ricky Steamboat pinning an already beat down opponent.

There's no way Chris Benoit would have taken advantage of a fallen opponent and done that. I remember people saying back in 2004 when he put himself against HHH in a title match in a cage a couple weeks after Survivor Series. HHH gets "beaten down" by Batista, it's implied, then Benoit puts himself in the Cage match with Edge. People were bitching about Benoit not dragging HHH to the ring and pinning him since he was out. That would have made sense, but would you really want an amazingly loved murderer to win a title like that? Come on. CM Punk is a bitch.

What about sportsmanship and the want to actual "Win" the world title? I can only imagine Ricky Steamboat pinning an already beat down opponent.

I didn't say it wouldn't be valient. Just stupid.

I maintain that anyone who doesn't use the briefcase in the manner that Punk and Edge have is a fucking retard. You can talk all you want about faces being "honorable" and whatnot...but it's just flat out DUMB to not cash in on an injured opponent. And people shouldn't root for idiots.

I maintain that anyone who doesn't use the briefcase in the manner that Punk and Edge have is a fucking retard. You can talk all you want about faces being "honorable" and whatnot...but it's just flat out DUMB to not cash in on an injured opponent. And people shouldn't root for idiots.

What if you use your briefcase to headline Wrestlemania? I wouldn't say it's stupid to headline the biggest wrestling show in history.

Also pretty much since the MITB match has been in effect, the person with the case has used it to their advantage. Even RVD, he cashed it on his "home turf" under his rules, where he won basically because of a screwjob.

On his blog on WWE.com, ring announcer Howard Finkel called out ECW G.M. Teddy Long for just letting Matt Hardy go to SD without getting anything in return. (Fink suggested trading Hardy for M.V.P.) Looks like they will possibly be making some kind of storyline over Teddy's assinine (kayfabe) decision to just let his top star walk.

This is half based on a comment HTQ made in the RAW thread - I hate when a tag team member turns on his partner mid-way or towards the apparent end of the match and the other team doesn't do anything about it. Taking half the match to decide that you're going to turn is alright in a way, because it can be explained by being indecisive about it. But why doesn't the other team, particularly if they're heels, take the chance to put a beatdown on the team who've just spent 5-10 minutes trying to hurt them?

For instance, look at last week's TNA, with Beer Money and the First Blood match. This isn't just a regular "go out there and wrestle" match, this is a match where the entire point is to cut the other team open. Midway through the match, Morgan turns on Abyss and beats him down, and Beer Money just stand around doing nothing. They're heels; at the very least they could jump in and get some shots in on Abyss while he's down. Failing that, they just found themselves in a two-on-one situation against a guy who until very recently was just trying to make them bleed, and is busy beating someone else. Instead, they just back off, with zero explanation given. Not even a "it's between those two".

I feel like this should be lumped in beside "why wrestlers run back from Irish whips", but it still bugs me.

I feel like this should be lumped in beside "why wrestlers run back from Irish whips", but it still bugs me.

Because when a wrestler hits the ropes, they launch the wrestler back.

This is half based on a comment HTQ made in the RAW thread - I hate when a tag team member turns on his partner mid-way or towards the apparent end of the match and the other team doesn't do anything about it. Taking half the match to decide that you're going to turn is alright in a way, because it can be explained by being indecisive about it. But why doesn't the other team, particularly if they're heels, take the chance to put a beatdown on the team who've just spent 5-10 minutes trying to hurt them?

For instance, look at last week's TNA, with Beer Money and the First Blood match. This isn't just a regular "go out there and wrestle" match, this is a match where the entire point is to cut the other team open. Midway through the match, Morgan turns on Abyss and beats him down, and Beer Money just stand around doing nothing. They're heels; at the very least they could jump in and get some shots in on Abyss while he's down. Failing that, they just found themselves in a two-on-one situation against a guy who until very recently was just trying to make them bleed, and is busy beating someone else. Instead, they just back off, with zero explanation given. Not even a "it's between those two".

Because the heels are bad guys and are letting the guy who is turning do all the work. Beer Money should jump Abyss AFTER Morgan beats him down (even though Morgan cut Abyss open, thus Beer Money won the match), not during. What if Morgan turned his attention back to them? Sure, 2-on-1 but Morgan is a giant and you don't want to mess with that.

If an egotistical heel wins the MITB, I'd do what they seemed to have been grooming Kennedy for and have him flat out say he'll be cashing it in at WrestleMania, and build him up big for a whole year.

That's one of the few other ways I see that case being used.

If an egotistical heel wins the MITB, I'd do what they seemed to have been grooming Kennedy for and have him flat out say he'll be cashing it in at WrestleMania, and build him up big for a whole year.

Have to make sure it's cashed within a year

Not if Mania is at a later date. Like last years was like a week earlier than this years.

As bps said, they always say it's good until next year's Mania

That is a great idea, when Kennedy said that is how he was going to cash it in, I actually liked the guy for a hour.