TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

The 25th Anniversary of WrestleMania Thread

Card as of March 21, 2009:

WWE Title Match: Triple H © vs. Randy Orton

World Heavyweight Championship Match: Edge © vs. The Big Show vs. John Cena

Unified Tag Titles Match: World Tag Team Champions The Miz and John Morrison vs. WWE Tag Team Champions Carlito and Primo Colon

WWE Intercontinetnal Championship Match: John 'Bradshaw' Leyfield © vs. Rey Mysterio

Undertaker WrestleMania Streak Challenge Match: The Undertaker (16-0) vs. "The Heartbreak Kid" Shawn Michaels

Money in the Bank V: United States Champion MVP vs. Shelton Benjamin vs. CM Punk vs. Kane vs. Mark Henry vs. Kofi Kingston vs. Christian vs. Finlay

Extreme Rules: Matt Hardy vs. Jeff Hardy

Miss WrestleMania Battle Royal: 25 women from the past and present.

----

From today's Observer:

The current booking plan, subject to a weekly change, is that Edge screws Jeff Hardy out of the title, probably using the surprise debut of Christian, in the screw job. Christian will then be revealed as the guy who attacked him before Survivor Series. As for now, the Mania plans just made on the Smackdown side are HHH beating Edge and getting the title back and Jeff vs. Christian in a major grudge match. The idea at this point is Jeff, and not HHH, will earn the shot at Edge at Mania, either through the Rumble or Elimination Chamber. The gimmick is he’ll pass the shot up because he wants to get back at Christian, which means Christian’s debut has to get over huge.

Worth noting - he hasn't actually signed a deal yet, but it's assumed he will (otherwise they wouldn't have penned this scenario).

I actually kind of like the idea of Jeff giving up his title shot to get revenge. It makes it more realistic. I'm comimg after you, title shot be damned. Nice little twist. Only problem is HHH would be getting the title back.

Jeff passing up the shot at a title match at Wrestlemania 25 in favor of beating the snot out of Christian is ridiculous. All you ever hear is how Main Eventing Wrestlemania is such a huge thing and here we have the 25th WM and its going to be huge event and Jeff would rather wrestle Christian in a first hour warm up match then to be wrestling Edge for the title?

Not as ridiculous as you may think. If Christian is supposed to cost Hardy the title, why would Hardy want another title match likely knowing the same thing is going to happen and he probably won't win the title because of some kind of interference? This way, he still has his shot after the Christian feud since he can play the "I still deserve the shot as I was never beaten" and kind of add another dimension to his character, and he can make sure this feud with Christian is over before doing so.

Jeff passing up the shot at a title match at Wrestlemania 25 in favor of beating the snot out of Christian is ridiculous. All you ever hear is how Main Eventing Wrestlemania is such a huge thing and here we have the 25th WM and its going to be huge event and Jeff would rather wrestle Christian in a first hour warm up match then to be wrestling Edge for the title?

Jeff is stupid. He's consistantly done stupid stuff instead of what is smart, it would work since it's Jeff.

Everyone would except Jeff Hardy. That's the only thing that matters in this storyline. He isn't stupid just because you say he's stupid. If Christian interferes in the main event at WM and costs Jeff the title, that's just as stupid as giving up a title shot. The point I am trying to make is him preventing that, therefore preventing Christian from costing him the title again. How does that not make sense? Take the whole aura of omg title shot at WM! out of the mix, because revenge is more important than a championship.

If they're going to pull the "Rumble winner doesn't choose title shot" then HBK should win the RR and go after UT's streak. Because HBK has had the title many times before and is all about being the "Wrestlemania moment" so it would fit his character to go after Undertakers streak, in Texas of all places.

Also HBK could put over the title in not going for it saying his body is too broke down to be the champion night after night, but on any one night he can be the best in the world.

Shawn could just challenge Undertaker regardless. Shawn winning the Rumble is horribly unnecessary as Shawn-Taker wouldn't need some convoluted reason to set up the match. Mr. Wrestlemania Vs The Streak. It's already there.

Shawn could just challenge Undertaker regardless. Shawn winning the Rumble is horribly unnecessary as Shawn-Taker wouldn't need some convoluted reason to set up the match. Mr. Wrestlemania Vs The Streak. It's already there.

Different brands. And it would make the match the ME.

What I'd do?

Rehash WM X.

Early in the night, Jeff has to face Christian and Edge has to face HHH. Jeff Hardy gets the winner of Edge/HHH in the ME no matter what.

I like this. Hardy over HHH for the title to top it off.

Different brands. And it would make the match the ME.

Which it shouldn't be. Different brands isn't an excuse. Shawn makes the challenge. The McMahon Kids agree because it's a marquee match and Vicki allows it because she would love nothing more then to see 'Taker finally lose at WM. Having Shawn or 'Taker win the Rumble is a wasted move. The potential match at WM doesn't need that elaborate scenario.

I really think the highest profile match they can pull off for the WWE Title match is The Hardys vs. Edge and Christian with both titles on the line in a TLC match...as someone had thought up before. It has the history and while we've seen it before....we haven't seen it for a long time or at this level.

Triple H vs. Edge just doesn't have a very epic feel- though they're kind of building to it with the HHH/Vickie stuff. There are plenty of ways they could do an interesting build for that tag match (or even a 4 way version of that match). It doesn't even have to involve the Rumble....give that to Orton.

HHH has to be somewhere....but I'd rather it be against the Undertaker. I'd be interested to see a triple threat with Hunter/HBK/Undertaker....with both HHH and hBK fighting to end the streak. Maybe some scenario where JBL is paying HBK to end the streak and HHH is disgusted by the whole thing. Just some ideas...

I really think the highest profile match they can pull off for the WWE Title match is The Hardys vs. Edge and Christian with both titles on the line in a TLC match...as someone had thought up before. It has the history and while we've seen it before....we haven't seen it for a long time or at this level.

Triple H vs. Edge just doesn't have a very epic feel- though they're kind of building to it with the HHH/Vickie stuff. There are plenty of ways they could do an interesting build for that tag match (or even a 4 way version of that match). It doesn't even have to involve the Rumble....give that to Orton.

HHH has to be somewhere....but I'd rather it be against the Undertaker. I'd be interested to see a triple threat with Hunter/HBK/Undertaker....with both HHH and hBK fighting to end the streak. Maybe some scenario where JBL is paying HBK to end the streak and HHH is disgusted by the whole thing. Just some ideas...

The one man that's going to be left out of the title picture that shouldn't is Jericho, unless they wanted to revive Jericho as a foil for HHH and given his character changes, it would be a fresher option then going back to Hunter and Edge. The other option would be to do a 4 way for the WHC including Cena and Orton.

I think a Hardys/E&C match is right for WM but not sure about the need for TLC. However, it's only a matter of time that all four of these men do another TLC match in their careers although they probably shouldn't with their injury record, if they must do it, it should be on the biggest stage.

What about Jericho getting the cross-over/mainstream angle this year? If not that what about Austin vs Jericho (assuming Austin would come back for one last match/feud). Jericho attacking Austin for being a broken record, a cartoon still trying to live off what he did ten years ago would be in line with his current character and it would give Austin chance to be more than "Gimme a hell yeah", "That's the bottom line..." and "Stomp a mudhole..." catchphrases.

What about Jericho getting the cross-over/mainstream angle this year? If not that what about Austin vs Jericho (assuming Austin would come back for one last match/feud). Jericho attacking Austin for being a broken record, a cartoon still trying to live off what he did ten years ago would be in line with his current character and it would give Austin chance to be more than "Gimme a hell yeah", "That's the bottom line..." and "Stomp a mudhole..." catchphrases.

The problem is that Austin and Jericho have a horrible track record in their matches. Austin coming back for something not involving Cena or Hogan is a waste of a potential one time only event. If Jericho isn't involved with the title scene, the next best thing would be a match with Punk since they have done well with each other.

Right now I'd bet on them putting Jericho and Rey together. It's an easy marquee feud/match to put together and it's never been done in WWE.

I imagine Punk will be in the Money In the Bank match again to add some gimmick and star power to it.

I really like the idea of Edge & Christian vs. the Hardys. They'd have to work out what would happen with the Smackdown title, but that would be far better than a Jeff v. Christian singles match. Make it a TLC and bring back Lita for one night to do a face turn on Vickie and it would be just about perfect.

I really don't want to see HHH v. Edge for the title, not that it wouldn't be a good match but HHH is so played out in that role. He's about due to go heel again anyway, I'd like to see him in MITB, have him win and then he can turn while holding the briefcase down the line.

So we finally get something fresh with Jeff Hardy as WWE Champion which the fans are responding well to. So the plan is to have him immediately lose the belt to Edge for another lameduck title run until the belt goes back to HHH yet again? All within two months?

Did they secretly hire Russo back?

All this talk about Michaels/Undertaker...

I'd still rather have a Jericho/Undertaker feud. For a few reasons.

1)I don't believe those two have ever even had a 1 on 1 match wtih each other, at least not on TV.

2)With Jericho being named "Superstar of the Year", and then coming out on Raw a few weeks ago saying he wouldn't wrestle unless it was quality talent, I could see him thinking that Taker at WrestleMania would equal quality.

3)Jericho's character enjoys accolades he can gloat about...so the Taker streak would be a choice thing to go after (kinda like why Randy Orton went after Taker at Mania 21)

1)I don't believe those two have ever even had a 1 on 1 match wtih each other, at least not on TV.

2)With Jericho being named "Superstar of the Year", and then coming out on Raw a few weeks ago saying he wouldn't wrestle unless it was quality talent, I could see him thinking that Taker at WrestleMania would equal quality.

3)Jericho's character enjoys accolades he can gloat about...so the Taker streak would be a choice thing to go after (kinda like why Randy Orton went after Taker at Mania 21)

The problem is that nobody would buy Jericho beating the Undertaker. Regardless of how he was pushed last year, people would still be like "It's Jericho, there's no way he's gonna win this".

The problem is that nobody would buy Jericho beating the Undertaker. Regardless of how he was pushed last year, people would still be like "It's Jericho, there's no way he's gonna win this".

Perhaps, but as long as they didn't go too cliche with how they built it up, it'd still be a fun feud, IMO.

Plus, like I said, I don't think those two have ever gone one on one in amatch before. So I wonder how they would work with each other.

Right now I'd bet on them putting Jericho and Rey together. It's an easy marquee feud/match to put together and it's never been done in WWE.

I'm sorry I even remember this, but IIRC, they had a match at the first Spike TV VGA's.

Give me HBK vs 'Taker. Their 5 minutes together at the end of RR 2007 was fantastic. I'd like to see what they could do if given 15-20 minutes.

I haven't visited this thread in a while. Was it ever 100% confirmed that Tomko is gone?

I'm sorry I even remember this, but IIRC, they had a match at the first Spike TV VGA's.

I figured he meant that Rey and Jericho have yet to actually feud in WWE.

I highly doubt Shawn Michaels would except anything other then a high profile match at Mania, but I'd personally love to see him in the MITB match. There's a lot Shawn can still do with the other spot monkeys.

If they don't go through with the HBK/Taker match for WM, I hope they blowoff the HBK/JBL feud and have Taker face either Jericho or Cena. I'd prefer Jericho since that's maybe the last main eventer Taker really has yet to have a program with, but a Cena match would be great as well.

To set up Shawn/Taker, both wrestlers would need to LOSE the Rumble. That's where the storyline comes from, both guys having huge interactions in '07 and '08.

Since Shawn eliminated 'Taker last time, it requires 'Taker to return the favor. Should it come during the middle of the match like last year so that the heat doesn't take away from the ending or near the end to really put over the build towards WM?