TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

The 25th Anniversary of WrestleMania Thread

That's a joke.......they could at least have fantasy booked a better opponent for Edge.

Although I do think there would be huge money in an Austin or Hogan/Cena Mania match, reminscent to Hogan/Rock from 18.

Lords of Pain is not a well placed source. Come on, guys.

Did you not notice the giant DISCLAIMER at the bottom? :huh:

Why even bother posting it then if you have to put a disclaimer on it?

The fuck would anyone want to see Hogan v. Cena for? It was funny seeing those WrestleMania IX highlights tonight, as Hogan was coming to the tail-end of his career then and that was 16 years ago. I mean, seriously, as bad as some of you seemingly do not want to see Edge v. Cena again, surely we can all agree that anything involving Hogan will be 100x worse. If Hogan is going to get involved in any program, it should be the Jericho thing. Same deal with Austin.

The latest F4W Newsletter mentions that, as of right now, Cena/Edge and HHH/Orton are pretty much locked in with other "expected but not confirmed" matches being Hardy vs. Hardy, Money in the Bank V, and if Jericho/Rourke is still a no-go after The Oscars, "Jericho would take on ten different legends that he's confronted over the past few weeks (which may or may not include Flair)".

Jericho telling off a different "legend" every week between now and WrestleMania actually sounds okay. I sort of wish that his criticism of said "legends" were a little more biting and a little less general, but I guess this ain't 1998. It's still a decent angle, and he'll at least have something interesting to do at WM. The way the card currently stands, I'd be more than happy to watch it for free on my computer.

Edge and Cena always bring the goods, and HHH/Orton looks to have more storyline depth than their last feud. In the last feud, HHH barely looked "mad" and treated Orton almost as lackadaisical as he treated Cena at WM 22. But I think the intensity HHH showed last night (funny mad face or not) and the Orton staredown with him will provide a better buildup to WM in the coming weeks.

This is the wrong place to post this, but does anyone realize the WWE will be in serious trouble as far as main event attractions within like 5 years. Think about it, 5 years from now the following will most likely be out of the biz

Michaels, Big Show, Taker, JBL, HHH

and guys like Edge, Hardy, Cena, & Batista prolly won't be too far behind given how often they get injured

Sure, they'll have Orton, but they have just done a really lousy job of building stars over the last couple years.

The way the card currently stands, I'd be more than happy to watch it for free on my computer.

I'm still waiting for another big match or two.

Edge vs. Cena, Triple H vs. Orton, HBK vs. Undertaker, Hardy vs. Hardy and Jericho vs. some legend (hopefully Austin) aren't enough big matches for you?

I'll give you HBK-Taker, but how can anyone really hype Edge-Cena and HHH-Orton as huge main events to make WM worth ordering? Both have been way overdone, with HHH-Orton only last year.

Agreed. Orton and Cena are the only guys they've built up since the end of the Attitude era. Pretty sad.

No. Not even close. There was a guy who won his eighth title the other night, that guy who got betrayed by his brother a couple of months ago, that guy who beat Cena at Summerslam and Orton at Armageddon clean then got injured, that guy who cut a wicked promo with Piper last night, not to mention they built up others before that but they did various things to ruin it like fail a wellness test, OD on drugs, kill their family, and, worse, go to UFC. Cena and Orton are only the biggest stars they got since the Attitude Era, but not because of a lack of other stars, its because they are that good.

The way the card currently stands, I'd be more than happy to watch it for free on my computer.

Edge vs. Cena, Triple H vs. Orton, HBK vs. Undertaker, Hardy vs. Hardy and Jericho vs. some legend (hopefully Austin) aren't enough big matches for you?

Actually, I was just being a jerk since I don't watch WWE at all. However, based on what you posted, no, I don't think that's a very intriguing card. All five of those matches have been done before. The two title matches, in particular, have been way overdone the last few years to the point that they don't mean anything. Granted, WWE is something that has passed me by, but I miss the days when Mania was something special and unique. This may be the biggest card they can put on, but it's nothing out of the ordinary, at least from my perspective.

Agreed. Orton and Cena are the only guys they've built up since the end of the Attitude era. Pretty sad.

No. Not even close. There was a guy who won his eighth title the other night, that guy who got betrayed by his brother a couple of months ago, that guy who beat Cena at Summerslam and Orton at Armageddon clean then got injured, that guy who cut a wicked promo with Piper last night, not to mention they built up others before that but they did various things to ruin it like fail a wellness test, OD on drugs, kill their family, and, worse, go to UFC. Cena and Orton are only the biggest stars they got since the Attitude Era, but not because of a lack of other stars, its because they are that good.

I was more implying they haven't introduced new stars since the Attitude era. I should have been more specific. Hardy and Edge have been around for 10+ years so it makes sense that they are where they're at. Nobody can deny Cena and Orton are the only post-Attitude era stars made from scratch.

Any thoughts on who will all be in MITB?

I'm thinking they may slim down the number this year and only do five total guys in it. Both mid-level champs get a spot, as well as few returning guys who have MITB experience, and then Rey, who really should be placed in somewhere like this from his great showing at No Way Out. Thus...

Rey v. Kennedy v. Christian v. Punk v. Benjamin

The "sides" would be about at par with each other since you have two Raw guys, two Smackdown, and one ECW guy there.

----------

How about tag matches, specifically for the tag titles? Is it finally the time where the belts become dissolved into one? Otherwise, I'm drawing a blank on how you would use either tag champions into the card effectively. So I'm hoping they just go with Miz/Morrison v. Colons and call it a day with that.

Diddo with the women's titles. Just have a merging of the two since there is no real advantage in doubling up women's belts on both shows, if you ask me.

Then again, I've been hoping this would happen for years now around this time (particularly with merging the tag belts) and it never happens so it probably won't now.

Any thoughts on who will all be in MITB?

I'm thinking they may slim down the number this year and only do five total guys in it. Both mid-level champs get a spot, as well as few returning guys who have MITB experience, and then Rey, who really should be placed in somewhere like this from his great showing at No Way Out. Thus...

Rey v. Kennedy v. Christian v. Punk v. Benjamin

The "sides" would be about at par with each other since you have two Raw guys, two Smackdown, and one ECW guy there.

----------

How about tag matches, specifically for the tag titles? Is it finally the time where the belts become dissolved into one? Otherwise, I'm drawing a blank on how you would use either tag champions into the card effectively. So I'm hoping they just go with Miz/Morrison v. Colons and call it a day with that.

Diddo with the women's titles. Just have a merging of the two since there is no real advantage in doubling up women's belts on both shows, if you ask me.

Then again, I've been hoping this would happen for years now around this time (particularly with merging the tag belts) and it never happens so it probably won't now.

Christian is challenging Jack Swagger for the ECW Title, almost certainly at Mania. If anything, I think they need to go back to 8 guys in MITB this year, because there are so many guys without matches that could fit well into that match: Punk, Kofi, Rey, Kane, Bourne, Finlay, R-Truth, Shelton, MVP, Kennedy, Kendrick..

Christian is challenging Jack Swagger for the ECW Title, almost certainly at Mania.

According to spoilers for ECW tonight, Christian vs Swagger for the ECW Title will take place next week.

Very true.....I wonder if they actually may go real crazy and throw out ten spots for MITB this year.

In that case, I'd add Kofi, Bourne, Kendrick, Truth, and probably Kane to the match other than the names I had before.

I really don't know what to think about the thought of Swagger/Christian saved for Mania. I just can't see them holding that for six weeks.....but then again, what else do they have to even throw out there for the ECW title other than that?

I would much rather see Swagger/MVP or something like that, and as I mentioned before, throw Christian into the MITB mix.

Christian is challenging Jack Swagger for the ECW Title, almost certainly at Mania.

According to spoilers for ECW tonight, Christian vs Swagger for the ECW Title will take place next week.

Yeah, good to hear that won't be at Mania, then.

I kind of wish they don't put the mid-level champs, or at least the Intercontinental Champion, in Money in the Bank. The traditionalist in me likes seeing that belt defended at Wrestlemania.

I kind of wish they don't put the mid-level champs, or at least the Intercontinental Champion, in Money in the Bank. The traditionalist in me likes seeing that belt defended at Wrestlemania.

Unfortunately, with such a large roster of guys deserving of a spot on the WM card, it's not really feasible for all of the mid-level titles (IC, US, Tags) to be defended. Since the IC Title has more WWE history than the US Title, it would be better to see an IC Title match at Mania than only a US Title match, but looking at the current rosters, Punk doesn't have many good WM opponents whereas on the Smackdown side, there are quite a number of US Title-level guys that could compete for the belt at Mania.

For those keeping score, the Intercontinental title hasn't been defended at WM since 2002 (RVD over Regal in the show opener).

There needs to be a defense this year after that long, but once again, probably not.

Unfortunately, with such a large roster of guys deserving of a spot on the WM card, it's not really feasible for all of the mid-level titles (IC, US, Tags) to be defended. Since the IC Title has more WWE history than the US Title, it would be better to see an IC Title match at Mania than only a US Title match, but looking at the current rosters, Punk doesn't have many good WM opponents whereas on the Smackdown side, there are quite a number of US Title-level guys that could compete for the belt at Mania.

Punk could put out an open challenge for his IC belt a few weeks before Mania, for Mania, and someone from SmackDown! could accept. MVP, if he wasn't already programmed with Shelton, would have been a pretty good pick.

Punk could put out an open challenge for his IC belt a few weeks before Mania, for Mania, and someone from SmackDown! could accept. MVP, if he wasn't already programmed with Shelton, would have been a pretty good pick.

Except that MVP is a face now. I think MVP should take Shelton's title in the next few weeks and get into the MITB, while Shelton answers a Punk challenge for Mania.

If that were the case, I'd like to see Shelton answer that challenge. Not for a unification match but just a champion vs champion showdown. That would provide the show with a good mid-card match that showcases each championship without having to place these guys in the MITB yet again.

All five of those matches have been done before.

The two title matches I'll give you and agree with you on, but come on, HBK v. Taker hasn't been done in 11 years, and Hardy v. Hardy hasn't been done since Vengeance 2001. That's pretty unfair to single out WWE like that.

I have no interest in Hardy vs. Hardy. Taker/HBK is going to be tremendous, tremendous stuff. I'm fine with Cena/Edge. Although it's been done so often it's always good...which leads me to the opposite of that... HHH/Orton. UGH. UGH. UGH. It's like they took a bad feud and added the worst thing they could (McMahonmania running mild). Look...I'm sure the match will end up being technically good and all...but Jesus Christ do I not want to watch it. The angle they ran last night was good...but I just don't see it being the Mania main event type.