TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

The 25th Anniversary of WrestleMania Thread

Meanwhile, in Canada, they preferred a product with believable participants and a high quality workrate, so of course their feds would not last long at all. Vince quickly bought out Tunney in Toronto and Hart in Calgary, turning the country into simply another region.

Just for the record, Vince sold Stampede Wrestling back to the Harts almost as quick as he bought it. But it didn't matter since he retained all the worthwhile talent.

I still can't believe that Vince hasn't done WM at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta ever since conquering WCW.

I remember watching Wrestlemania XVI/2000 and being 100% sure Wrestlemania XVII was going to be in Atlanta as the final middle finger to Turner and WCW.

I still can't believe that Vince hasn't done WM at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta ever since conquering WCW.

I remember watching Wrestlemania XVI/2000 and being 100% sure Wrestlemania XVII was going to be in Atlanta as the final middle finger to Turner and WCW.

I thought WCW had some sort of exclusive deal with the Georgia Dome at the time, but I'm not sure. WWE and WCW often locked up their "home arenas" so that the other couldn't run shows there. Examples are WWE exclusively using MSG in New York and Mellon Arena in Pittsburgh.

austins removed from the wallpaper

So much for Austin's return match. This was the perfect time to do it. If he doesn't work Mania 25, he shouldn't come out of retirement afterwards.

I thought WCW had some sort of exclusive deal with the Georgia Dome at the time, but I'm not sure. WWE and WCW often locked up their "home arenas" so that the other couldn't run shows there. Examples are WWE exclusively using MSG in New York and Mellon Arena in Pittsburgh.

WWE's been running Georgia Dome shows since 99, though, so whatever deal WCW had was pretty much done by the time they went under.

WWE's been running Georgia Dome shows since 99, though, so whatever deal WCW had was pretty much done by the time they went under.

WWE runs their Atlanta stuff out of Phillips Arena. I can't remember them doing a show in the dome.

They did a 1999 Raw there - I think it featured what was supposed to be the finals of the Terri Invitational Tournament, but it ended in a draw so they did the No Mercy thing. They made a huge deal out of invading enemy turf it in Raw Magazine.

There was also one in 2001 about a month before WCW went out of business. Interesting to note Kid Romeo's presence on the card as he would be WCW Cruiserweight Tag Team Champions like a month later.

WWF @ Atlanta, GA - Georgia Dome - February 5, 2001 (24,639)

Jakked:

Billy Gunn defeated David Young

K-Kwick defeated Rick Michaels

Albert defeated Onyx

Essa Rios defeated Kid Romeo

Raw is War:

WWF IC Champion Chris Jericho pinned Matt Hardy (w/ Lita) with the Lionsault after Dean Malenko came ringside, attacked the challenger, and threw him back inside the ring; after the contest, Malenko, Perry Saturn, and Eddie Guerrero attacked Hardy and Jericho - with Guerrero hitting a frog splash onto the IC title belt which was placed on Jericho's face

Edge & Christian defeated Sho Funaki & Taka Michinoku

WWF Tag Team Champions the Dudley Boyz defeated the Undertaker & Kane via disqualification when the referee wrongly accused the Undertaker of using a steel chair on Bubba Ray Dudley, after interference from Edge & Christian

Rikishi & Haku defeated Too Cool when Rikishi pinned Grandmater Sexay with a belly to belly suplex and the Bonzai Drop

Chris Benoit defeated Al Snow via submission to the Crippler Crossface

The Rock & WWF World Champion Kurt Angle (w/ Trish Stratus) defeated Steve Austin & Triple H when Angle pinned Triple H with a low blow and chairshot; after the match, Austin hit the Stunner on Angle; late in the contest, the Big Show came ringside and attacked the Rock before leaving

They definitely did run the Georgia Dome. I was there for the first Raw they did there on October 11, 1999 (main event was Austin/JR vs. HHH/Chyna; Vince Russo's last Raw before going to WCW). WCW ran their last Nitro in the Georgia Dome on July 5, 1999. Besides from Bret Hart's first appearance since Owen Hart's death, it was a truly awful show. It was the one where David Flair was just given the U.S. Title. WCW started using Philips Arena after this show because they killed the Dome dead when they did that fingerpoke.

They also did Raws at the Dome in February 2000, July 2000, and February 2001. They didn't start using Philips Arena until July 2001, the night of the WCW/ECW join-up. They ran Philips until December 2002, when they moved to the Gwinnett Center, which is actually in Duluth, GA, but they called it "Atlanta" anyways. For some reason, they started going back to Philips Arena in 2006.

They definitely did run the Georgia Dome. I was there for the first Raw they did there on October 11, 1999 (main event was Austin/JR vs. HHH/Chyna; Vince Russo's last Raw before going to WCW). WCW ran their last Nitro in the Georgia Dome on July 5, 1999. Besides from Bret Hart's first appearance since Owen Hart's death, it was a truly awful show. It was the one where David Flair was just given the U.S. Title. WCW started using Philips Arena after this show because they killed the Dome dead when they did that fingerpoke.

They also did Raws at the Dome in February 2000, July 2000, and February 2001. They didn't start using Philips Arena until July 2001, the night of the WCW/ECW join-up. They ran Philips until December 2002, when they moved to the Gwinnett Center, which is actually in Duluth, GA, but they called it "Atlanta" anyways. For some reason, they started going back to Philips Arena in 2006.

Wow. I didn't realize they'd done shows in the dome that many times. I was at that July 2001 Raw. I remember marking my ass off when DDP hit the diamond cutter on Sara...only to mark even harder later when RVD and Dreamer hit the ring to stomp the shit out of Kane and Jericho. I was also there the night that Stone Cold went home because they wanted him to job to Lesnar. Was that in 2002?

Anyway, I'd love for them to do Mania in Atlanta. That's about the only city they could do it that would be within reasonable driving distance for me.

Anyway, I'd love for them to do Mania in Atlanta. That's about the only city they could do it that would be within reasonable driving distance for me.

Same here... and Atlanta pretty much has everything they need to host an event like this - Big, indoor arena, major transportation hub, tourist attractions, hotel rooms, etc. If it is ever held in Atlanta, it's only a 3 or so hour drive for me, and I would definitely make an effort to attend.

The only other city that I could pull off is if they ever ran Wrestlemania in New Orleans.

And then you have the original WrestleMania tune

Easy Lover. Hahaha, I forgot about that. Wasn't there a WrestleMania theme/song that had lyrics? I am talking about pre 2000's WM's and not licensed music that the WWE has bought for a show. I am thinking of a song that had the words WrestleMania in it constantly.

The Wrestling Observer is reporting that at this point the working plan for Mickey Rourke at Wrestlemania 25 will see the actor appearing in the corner of whoever Jericho faces at the PPV. Because Rourke is a former boxer, creative has an idea to push that ability of Rourke's and have him interfere in the finish of the Jericho match possibly hitting him with a knockout style punch that Jericho could sell as devastating. At this point there is no confirmed opponent for Jericho, however Jerry Lawler's name has come up a few times in creative meetings as he fits the legend persona and has been vocally "against" Y2J's attacks of other legends on Raw. Lawler is 56 years old and has never worked a match at Wrestlemania, so now may be the last chance the veteran has to wrestle on the big show.

Found that on wrestlezone.

I'm all for Lawler having a Mania match...

But this is too big of an angle and too good of a wrestler for him to be in there with.

I agree.

If they did a "Legends Gauntlet Match" and Jerry was the last guy who Jericho faced and maybe lost to via Rourke interference it could work though IMO

Lawler has just been used too much in those low ranking matches on RAW once or twice a year for him facing Jericho to be special. But I guess you can't count him out, as he was great at one time. Dusty Rhodes would probably even work better than Lawler at this point. Not in terms of workrate or anything, but in terms of importance.

Lawler has just been used too much in those low ranking matches on RAW once or twice a year for him facing Jericho to be special. But I guess you can't count him out, as he was great at one time. Dusty Rhodes would probably even work better than Lawler at this point. Not in terms of workrate or anything, but in terms of importance.

I agree with the fact the comedy bits haven't helped Lawler, but I think him and Jericho could pull it off - Lawler could sell like a madman (Even without big bumps) for most the match until Rourke does his thing to Jericho.

Hell, if he was healthy enough, I'd put my money behind Steamboat even in his 50's.

One thing I'll give Lawler(btw I am a fan of his work), is he can still move well for his age, and has that natural charisma.