TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

The 25th Anniversary of WrestleMania Thread

I still believe that the triple threat will headline, followed by a Money In the Bank cash in. It will eventually happen so why not use it this year to spice up an underwhelming main event?

Agreed with the above. There are far too many people involved at this stage (Legacy, McMahons) to have it simply end clean in the middle of the ring. They've got the Backlash main event to think of, it's only about three weeks after Mania.

And that's why I think that this won't be the main event. You don't want to send the fans home after a cluster fuck.

But TNA does it all the time! Who are you to doubt Russo!?

Glad to hear there is an excited atmosphere in Houston. I will be arriving Saturday morning. Going to WM and the Hall of Fame, but not sure if I want to go to any Axxess sessions. I am excited about finally getting to attend a Mania though.

yeah i hung out a lot down here no superstar sightings although locals are talking about the event and how there are a lot of visitors in town for the weekend but there are definetely a lot of fans down here already though

I still believe that the triple threat will headline, followed by a Money In the Bank cash in. It will eventually happen so why not use it this year to spice up an underwhelming main event?

The last time something close to that happening at Wrestlemania was IX, and we all know how that turned out.

Trust me... they might do that set-up at other PPV's (Most recently with Edge cheating his way into the Elimination Chamber), but they will not end Wrestlemania, the biggest and most hyped show of the year, with an unannounced MITB cash-in match.

Orton/HHH will headline this thing.

In fact, here's my guess at match order:

-Money in the Bank

-JBL vs. Rey

-Miz and Morrison vs. The Colons

-Matt Hardy vs. Jeff Hardy

-Triple Threat Match

-Jericho vs. The Legends

-Undertaker vs. Shawn

-Divas Battle Royal

-Orton vs. HHH

Probably a little shuffling to that, but more or less... this is how I see it.

Basically, you have two definite "bring the crowd back down matches" in the tag-match (No fault of the participants, however as it'll just be a big mess with the lumberjack stipulation) and the Diva's Battle Royale. You can plug them anywhere in the show, but you really can't put Money in the Bank and the Hardys match close to each other, nor can you put one title match directly before the other. Jericho and the Legends will probably also be a placeholder match in terms of tempo and pacing now that I think about it. I have a feeling Shawn and Taker will both feel like they have to deliver big time so I'm seeing the diva's match coming directly after that (much like what they did after Shawn/Flair last year).

* SHAMELESS SELF-PROMOTION ALERT *

http://www.news-herald.com/articles/2009/0...fe/nh691486.txt

I wrote a column previewing WM for my newspaper's entertainment page today. With the way newspapers are dying faster than a Sim Snuka push, we need every hit we can get on our Web site. So if you get a few minutes today, click on the link and give it a read.

Hulk Hogan did an interview with PopEater.com in which he claims that he was originally supposed to face John Cena for the World Heavyweight Title at WM25 until a back injury developed shortly before the No Way Out PPV.

You know what, I was supposed to wrestle John Cena for the title, and about four weeks ago I had back surgery. Vince and I were talking about how much involvement I wanted to have in Wrestlemania, and if I wanted to keep wrestling, and out of nowhere my back just got really crazy. I went in for an MRI and I had to have some emergency surgery that threw me out of the game. I was kind of flipped out about it, I thought I'd be the main event this year.

Hulk Hogan did an interview with PopEater.com in which he claims that he was originally supposed to face John Cena for the World Heavyweight Title at WM25 until a back injury developed shortly before the No Way Out PPV.

You know what, I was supposed to wrestle John Cena for the title, and about four weeks ago I had back surgery. Vince and I were talking about how much involvement I wanted to have in Wrestlemania, and if I wanted to keep wrestling, and out of nowhere my back just got really crazy. I went in for an MRI and I had to have some emergency surgery that threw me out of the game. I was kind of flipped out about it, I thought I'd be the main event this year.

As usual Hogan is distorting the truth heavily. He was asked to wrestle at the show. This is a fact. However in a midcard attraction vs Jericho. He asked for too much money and was told no. So he decided to have back surgery. Surgery that he knew 6 months ago he was going to have right after WM. It was in no way out of nowhere. He got pissed off because he couldn't get a big enough pay day so he took the surgey early.

I've never taken Hogan seriously ever since he gave that interview regarding Montreal. I believe he said Bret wouldn't go along with the finish and Michaels had to physically hold Bret down for the pinfall victory.

As usual Hogan is distorting the truth heavily. He was asked to wrestle at the show. This is a fact. However in a midcard attraction vs Jericho. He asked for too much money and was told no. So he decided to have back surgery. Surgery that he knew 6 months ago he was going to have right after WM. It was in no way out of nowhere. He got pissed off because he couldn't get a big enough pay day so he took the surgey early.

Where did you hear this? I actually think Cena/Hogan was what they wanted. There actually was alot of talk a few months ago about Hogan/Cena, in fact I think in this thread there was a even a post that someone credited a report of a lineup being leaked that was completely accurate now looking back, sans Cena/Hogan, so there is a chance this was actually true. Ultimately, that explains why Cena was just kind of thrown into that Show/Edge stuff, too.

And reports earlier were that Jericho might be working against Austin, not Hogan.

Ultimately, if Hogan/Cena and Jericho/Austin would be on this card, we would have a very stacked lineup and undoubtably there would be no question that this would be a sizable buyrate from it.

I've never taken Hogan seriously ever since he gave that interview regarding Montreal. I believe he said Bret wouldn't go along with the finish and Michaels had to physically hold Bret down for the pinfall victory.

Because according to Hogan, Michaels won the title from Hart by pinfall at Wrestlemania 16. :lol:

Where did you hear this? I actually think Cena/Hogan was what they wanted. There actually was alot of talk a few months ago about Hogan/Cena, in fact I think in this thread there was a even a post that someone credited a report of a lineup being leaked that was completely accurate now looking back, sans Cena/Hogan, so there is a chance this was actually true. Ultimately, that explains why Cena was just kind of thrown into that Show/Edge stuff, too.

And reports earlier were that Jericho might be working against Austin, not Hogan.

Ultimately, if Hogan/Cena and Jericho/Austin would be on this card, we would have a very stacked lineup and undoubtably there would be no question that this would be a sizable buyrate from it.

I read it in English wrestling magazine Powerslam.

I'm not looking forward to this show, but then again I thought Wrestlemania last year was going to suck and it ended up being the best WM since 17 so hopefully WWE proves me wrong again.

WWE Championship Match

Randy Orton Vs. Triple H

I do love the unpredictablility of this match. It could go either way, but Orton should become WWE Champion again and here's why:

A.) Aside from beating Triple H for the title at No Mercy 2007 (which was a last minute replacement), Orton never really got his proper revenge over Triple H for backstabbing him the night after SummerSlam 2004 in their years of feuding.

B.) He is the best thing going in the WWE right now. The fact that he's actually outselling John Cena in merchandise sales is an amazing accomplishment. To kill off his momentum would be a terrible decision. They should strike while the iron is hot.

C.) Orton won the Royal Rumble. If he loses the main event, it cheapens the aspect of winning the Rumble. It SUCKED when Shawn Michaels lost to Diesel at Wrestlemania XI. I would hate to see them repeat history 14 years later.

D.) HHH beat Orton not once, not twice, but THREE times in a row on PPV last year (Backlash, Judgment Day, One Night Stand)! Orton deserves to win this time!

E.) At Wrestlemania 16, HHH was the first heel to retain the WWE Championship. Randy Orton should make history by becoming the first heel to win the title and walk out of Wrestlemania with it. I don't think WWE will have the balls to let the bad guy win the title in the main event of Wrestlemania, but its time to change things up.

F.)

I'm expecting Stephanie to turn on Triple H.

World Heavyweight Title

John Cena Vs. Edge Vs. The Big Show

This is going to be average at best and its pretty much a given Cena is getting the belt back here and if its the case then it was pointless to have him lose the title at No Way Out. If Orton is winning and Cena is winning, I can see this match unfortunately going on last to send the crowd home on a good note. Edge retaining would make me happy though.

Shawn Michaels Vs. The Undertaker

Really isn't any explanation needed here. Michaels tries to stop the streak and Taker tries to stop Mr. WrestleMania. Undertaker wins here because he needs to pass the torch to an up and coming star IF they do decide he will lose at Mania. This will be the match of the night. RIP HBK.

Divas Battle Royal

Not really interested in this since there's no Trish or Lita, but I'll take Victoria, Beth, Natalya, or Sunny winning here.

Intercontinental Championship Match

JBL Vs. Rey Mysterio

These two always put great David vs. Goliath style matches. I think JBL is a much better wrestler than he is given credit for. I'd like to see Rey Mysterio finally win the Intercontinental Championship, but this is JBLs' home state so he should out on a high note.

WWE Tag Team Championship Unification Match

The Colons Vs. Morrison & Miz

Tag Team wrestling has gone by the wayside if you ask me. This is an opportunity to take the champions from both shows and let them have a great classic match. I love Miz/Morrison. Their promos are great, their wrestling is even better, and they deserve to be the team that unifies the tag belts.

Chris Jericho Vs. The Retirement Home

Poor Jericho. Instead of fighting Mickey Rourke or Hulk Hogan, he's in this mess. I have all the respect for the Legends, but let's look at the facts: Snuka shouldn't even be in the ring at this point, Piper is out of shape, and I'm worried about Steamboat's condition. On the bright side, at least Y2J can finally end his Wrestlemania losing streak. I'm still hoping that

Jericho thinks he's won the match after pinning or submitting all three men when an announcement is made that there was a last minute addition to the match. Austin's music hits and Stone Cold comes out and beats the shit out of Jericho for 5 minutes, kick to the gut, Stunner, and Stone Cold retires in storybook fashion in Texas to the fan's delight. Everybody wins.

Jeff Hardy Vs. Matt Hardy

In a repeat of the Hart brothers match from Wrestlemania 10, the evil one pulls the upset win. Unfortunately after this show, they'll drag this feud out to at least SummerSlam involving every match stipulation possible.

Money In The Bank Ladder Match

MVP vs. Shelton Benjamin vs. CM Punk vs. Kane vs. Mark Henry vs. Kofi Kingston vs. Christian vs. Finlay

Ugh. Replace Mark Henry with Evan Bourne and this would've been the best MITB match ever. I can't see anybody other than Christian or Shelton Benjamin winning here.

Here is the order of events for WMXXV, courtesy of Main Event & Fox 8 (Australia Cable) (thanks to reader Cameron Hamon):

World Wrestling Entertainment presents: WrestleMania - The 25th Anniversary

Presented by National Guard

Reliant Stadium, Houston, TX

Sunday, April 5; 7e/4p LIVE on Pay-per-view

Contact your local service provider for ordering information

Hosted by Jim Ross, Jerry Lawler and Michael Cole.

Order of Events:

Pussycat Doll Nicole Scherzinger sings America The Beautiful

WWE Intercontinental Championship Match

Rey Mysterio vs John "Bradshaw" Layfield ©

Christian vs Finlay (w/ Hornswoggle) vs Mark Henry (w/ Tony Atlas) vs Montel Vontavious Porter vs Kane vs Shelton Benjamin vs CM Punk vs Kofi Kingston

Legends Challenge Gauntlet Match

Chris Jericho vs Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat, Rowdy Roddy Piper and Jimmy "The Superfly" Snuka (w/ Ric Flair and Mickey Rourke)

WWE Tag Team Champions John Morrison and The Miz vs World Tag Team Champions Carlito and Primo Colón

Extreme Rules Match

Matt Hardy vs Jeff Hardy

LIVE Musical Performance from critically-acclaimed artist Kid Rock

25-Diva Miss WrestleMania Battle Royal

Participants include: Melina, Mickie James, Beth Pheonix, Santino Marella, Michelle McCool, Tammy Lynn Sytch, Victoria, Mae Young and Gail Kim

World Heavyweight Championship Match

John Cena vs Edge © vs The Big Show

"The Heartbreak Kid" Shawn Michaels vs The Undertaker

WWE Heavyweight Championship Match

Randy Orton (w/ Cody Rhodes and Ted DiBiase) vs Triple H (w/ Stephanie McMahon-Helmsley) ©

http://www.lordsofpain.net/news/wwe/1741.html

Here is the order of events for WMXXV, courtesy of Main Event & Fox 8 (Australia Cable) (thanks to reader Cameron Hamon):

World Wrestling Entertainment presents: WrestleMania - The 25th Anniversary

Presented by National Guard

Reliant Stadium, Houston, TX

Sunday, April 5; 7e/4p LIVE on Pay-per-view

Contact your local service provider for ordering information

Hosted by Jim Ross, Jerry Lawler and Michael Cole.

Order of Events:

Pussycat Doll Nicole Scherzinger sings America The Beautiful

WWE Intercontinental Championship Match

Rey Mysterio vs John "Bradshaw" Layfield ©

Christian vs Finlay (w/ Hornswoggle) vs Mark Henry (w/ Tony Atlas) vs Montel Vontavious Porter vs Kane vs Shelton Benjamin vs CM Punk vs Kofi Kingston

Legends Challenge Gauntlet Match

Chris Jericho vs Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat, Rowdy Roddy Piper and Jimmy "The Superfly" Snuka (w/ Ric Flair and Mickey Rourke)

WWE Tag Team Champions John Morrison and The Miz vs World Tag Team Champions Carlito and Primo Colón

Extreme Rules Match

Matt Hardy vs Jeff Hardy

LIVE Musical Performance from critically-acclaimed artist Kid Rock

25-Diva Miss WrestleMania Battle Royal

Participants include: Melina, Mickie James, Beth Pheonix, Santino Marella, Michelle McCool, Tammy Lynn Sytch, Victoria, Mae Young and Gail Kim

World Heavyweight Championship Match

John Cena vs Edge © vs The Big Show

"The Heartbreak Kid" Shawn Michaels vs The Undertaker

WWE Heavyweight Championship Match

Randy Orton (w/ Cody Rhodes and Ted DiBiase) vs Triple H (w/ Stephanie McMahon-Helmsley) ©

http://www.lordsofpain.net/news/wwe/1741.html

That's a pretty good order. They must be planning on having Hardy vs. Hardy to go all out by placing the Kid Rock performance and the Diva's battle royal right after it.

Having the triple threat match on before Taker/Shawn and Trips/Orton continues to tell me Edge will walk out the winner of that one.

Putting those last three matches together like that is going to be a mistake. They should save that divas battle royal until late in the show, stick it in between HBK/Taker and Orton/HHH.

Putting those last three matches together like that is going to be a mistake. They should save that divas battle royal until late in the show, stick it in between HBK/Taker and Orton/HHH.

Yeah... if Shawn/UT turns out to be what most think it will be... the crowd is going to be pretty dead for the main event.

If the main events are together like that- I'm sure they are counting on them being separated by plenty of video packages and interviews. They have to throw in the Hall of Fame stuff somewhere as well.

I wouldn't be surprised to see that order change though.

EDIT: Now that I look at last years order...this one is pretty similar. Triple Threat to Show/Mayweather to Taker/Edge.

Since Kid Rock is there, wouldn't it be cool if Undertaker came out as the biker for one night only to the "American Badass" song?

If the main events are together like that- I'm sure they are counting on them being separated by plenty of video packages and interviews. They have to throw in the Hall of Fame stuff somewhere as well.

EDIT: Now that I look at last years order...this one is pretty similar. Triple Threat to Show/Mayweather to Taker/Edge.

I imagine the Hall of Fame segment will come after Money in the Bank and before the Jericho/Legends match.

I imagine the Hall of Fame segment will come after Money in the Bank and before the Jericho/Legends match.

I'm not sure that listing is official considering both sets of tag champs are misidentified. Miz & Morrison are World, Carlito & Primo are WWE.

Since Kid Rock is there, wouldn't it be cool if Undertaker came out as the biker for one night only to the "American Badass" song?

No.

PWInsider is reporting that former WWE Diva and original Tough Enough co-winner, Nidia Guenard, is in Houston, TX, and is expected to compete in tomorrow night's Miss WrestleMania Battle Royal. This will be Nidia's first WWE appearance in over 4 years. She was released in November 2004 in the talent purge that also saw Gail Kim released.

Here's a change of subject question:

Going by the past 3 WrestleManias, what type of entrance do you think that John Cena will have this year around?

He said in the chat that he had a special enterance but didn't give a clue as to what it was. Since they're in Texas, I'm going with he's coming out riding on a horse or something.

Personally, I was hoping he would come out in a car with a rapper from Houston, but I don't think WWE would say ok to that.

He should fly to the stadium in the Space Shuttle.

Also, I think it's pretty crazy that WWE spent $250,000 to build a custom video scoreboard just for WrestleMania. That cost more than the entire gross of some TNA PPVs.

I fully expect Steamboat and Jericho to get the bulk of that match. I just hope Jericho goes for the throat.

Kinda makes you wonder why they are using Piper and Snuka, who are so very limited at this point. Dusty probably could at least work better than those two and is around anyway. Sarge (who may be on bad terms) or Hacksaw would have made a good choice too since they've been shown in the past few years to be able to work a five-minute match. It's not like we are expecting a classic out of any of these guys, but I'm sure Jericho could easily pull a ** match out of Sarge, Hacksaw or Dusty, who are at least mobile at this point.

I think it has to do with Piper, Snuka, and Steamboat all being apart of the original WrestleMania in 1985.