TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Maztinho

Postal Service Question

So I checked my mail this morning, and there was a letter to someone who used to live at this address like 4 years ago (the time I've lived here). Normally I'd just toss it, but it's some Social Security envelope and I don't want to screw someone who might need the information in the letter out of their benefits.

I think the mail carrier noticed the totally different name, since there's a large question mark on the envelope.

What should I do with this letter... just cross out my address and put it back in the outbox of my apartment mailbox? Put a sticky pad explaining she doesn't live here anymore? Burn it?

What the King said. Thank you very much.

Only thing I would add is to write on the envelope that this person no longer lives here.

Which is what I did. I just sharpied over the address, and wrote Ms. B no longer resides here.

An unrelated postal service question: I recently mailed the majority of my earthly possessions across the country. Most of it made it here in good condition, but a box of CDs arrived with the box intact but the CDs missing. Like, the mailman actually delivered an empty box to my house this morning. I'd value the worth of the lost CDs to be in the $350 range. Do I have any sort of recourse here? Or are the people at the post office just going to tell me to get fucked?

Guest Czecherbear

I just want to know how Ben Gibbard gets to marry Zooey Deschanel. The world is a terrible place.

You're probably in screwed village on those CDs, k-tic.

I suspected as much. Various online resources tell me that I should have gotten the package insured and made a list of its contents. File that one under things to do next time I move across the country. From a practical standpoint, I could easily replace all of those CDs for less than $50. But it's the sentimental value, you know? You can't download memories on Soulseek.

Guest Vitamin X

I just had everything packed away in a car and drove with it across the country. If you have a car, it's pretty much the best thing to do considering that you would have to pay for it being shipped across the country + the airplane ticket. Took me 10 days to do it, and it was a fun little adventure- everything else I just gave away or sold, but I definitely understand the whole sentimental value thing. I lost all my CDs when my car was broken into in L.A. and then the ones I didn't have in my car were stolen when my car was broken into- twice!- in Miami.

Albums of some sentimental value to me that were lost: OK Computer, Bringing It All Back Home, Odelay!, the first Fountains of Wayne album, Rid of Me,, the first Elvis Costello album I ever bought, etc. It's probably stupid of me to attach emotional value to pieces of plastic, but a part of me liked knowing that the copy of OK Computer that I was listening to was the same copy that I purchased at the Manassas, Virginia Target in 1997 and subsequently obsessed over with the first girl to ever handle my member. I've lost that.

Man, every album I had filed under 'A' is gone. Everything from Abba to Arcade Fire to America the Beautiful: America's Greatest Hits. I swear to God, I will never use snail mail again. How does no one notice 60+ CDs being scattered across the mail processing area? Fucking fuck me. I'm going to have to burn new copies of all of these things now.

a part of me liked knowing that the copy of OK Computer that I was listening to was the same copy that I purchased at the Manassas, Virginia Target in 1997

I bought a ton of dorm room shit there in '01 while driving down from Dulles.

Small world. I lived maybe a quarter-mile away from that Target for a few years in the late 90s. I once bought a six-pack of the short-lived but awesomely delicious Virgin Cola there. Good memory.