TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Scroby

Royal Rumble 2009

The Royal Rumble is coming up at the end month and participants of the Royal Rumble are being announced and matches are already being made. So I figured the thread should be started. I'll keep the thread updated as more wrestlers are announced for the Royal Rumble Match.

Matches Announced

World Championship Title Match: John Cena © vs JBL

WWE Championship Title Match: Jeff Hardy © vs Edge

ECW Title Match: Jack Swagger © vs Matt Hardy

Womens Championship Title Match: Beth Phoenix © vs Melina

The Royal Rumble Match - Winner gets a shot at the WWE Championship or the World Championship (or maybe the ECW Championship) at Wrestlemania 25.

Participants Announced (Only officially announced on TV or WWE.com)

As of January 20th

Raw:

1. Randy Orton

2. Kofi Kingston

3. Rey Mysterio

4. Cody Rhodes

5. Ted Dibiase

6. Santino Marella

7. Kane

8. CM Punk

9. Chris Jericho

SmackDown:

1. HHH

2. Big Show

3. Vladimir Kozlov

4. U.S. Champion Shelton Benjamin

5. Undertaker

6. R-Truth

7. Carlito

8. The Brian Kendrick

ECW:

1. World Tag Team Champion The Miz

2. World Tag Team Champion John Morrison

3. Finlay

4. Mark Henry

Total entrants to date: 21

This is ideal. What made 2008 so good was the "anyone could win" aspect, something very few Rumbles have been able to achieve. Realistically, numbers 2, 3, and 4 aren't winning, but all of them are believable.

3rd biggest?

These days, I'd put it at #2, only behind WM. There's nothing else to really set the other PPVs apart anymore, so the Rumble gets #2 by default.

3rd biggest?

These days, I'd put it at #2, only behind WM. There's nothing else to really set the other PPVs apart anymore, so the Rumble gets #2 by default.

I agree. Summerslam used to be proclaimed as the 2nd biggest PPV WWE has, but I feel it has lost some (if not all) of its luster, looking at the recent cards. <_<

I agree. Summerslam used to be proclaimed as the 2nd biggest PPV WWE has, but I feel it has lost some (if not all) of its luster, looking at the recent cards. <_<

Nothing says pissing off the fans like DQs in world title matches and non-finishes.

Here's hoping Matt Hardy DOESN'T participate in the Rumble like Chavo did last year, as "ECW Champion"

It's a shame they had to overdub the Rumble theme for the DVD collection and replace Vince with the guy that does Gary Capetta impersonations on 24/7. Even worse is the fact they seemed to have regained the rights to that music since then, so it was basically an unneeded loss.

The Rumble always makes for some good predictin' games, so as we get closer to the show and have a bigger list, let's make prognostications on the following:

Winner

Final Four

#1 and #2

Iron Man

In and Out Man

Edit: I won't stop you from listing these things here, but Hawk 34 did up a big ol predictions game like we had last year, so check that one out for predictions of the above nature.

Winner: Orton

Final Four: Orton, Undertaker, Shawn, Hunter

#1 and #2 - Orton and Shawn

Iron Man - Kofi Kingston

In and Out Man - Santino

Guest Smues

Normally I would say that Summerslam is the #2, but this year it featured Great Khali in a title match, so yeah Rumble is the new #2.

Winner: Triple H (he basically gave it away last night by saying SD wouldn't have a chance if he wasn't in it)

Final Four: Triple H Orton Show Rey

#1 and #2: Undertaker and Kane

Iron Man: John Morrison

In and Out Man: Santino

I agree about the Royal Rumble being the #2 WWE PPV of the year, however in WWE's eyes SummerSlam is the 2nd biggest still so what can I do?

Winner: HBK - I'm calling it now, JBL beats Cena and we get HBK vs JBL for the World Title at Wrestlemania 25.

Final Four: Undertaker, Kane, HHH, Jericho

#1 and #2: Cody Rhodes and Golddust

In and Out: MVP

Iron man: Jericho

I'm hoping that there's an end in sight for MVP's losing streak, so while he's obviously not winning the Rumble, I'll predict him to have an impressive iron-man performance that "re-motivates" him to start winning again.

But I won't be surprised to see him go in and out, either.

I'm hoping that there's an end in sight for MVP's losing streak, so while he's obviously not winning the Rumble, I'll predict him to have an impressive iron-man performance that "re-motivates" him to start winning again.

But I won't be surprised to see him go in and out, either.

I could see them doing a thing where he keeps trying to qualify but fails every each time. However, someone is injured or unable to be in the match, which allows MVP to replace that person with success.

We did a fuller prediction game last year and that went well, I'll go ahead and put up a version for 2009.

I agree about the Royal Rumble being the #2 WWE PPV of the year, however in WWE's eyes SummerSlam is the 2nd biggest still so what can I do?

How so?

If anything, I'd say they know how huge the Rumble is. That's why they usually book lame-duck title matches, b/c they know the Rumble will be huge no matter what

How so?

If anything, I'd say they know how huge the Rumble is. That's why they usually book lame-duck title matches, b/c they know the Rumble will be huge no matter what

They've claimed for years that SummerSlam is WWE's 2nd biggest ppv of the year. I think they're wrong though, I think the Rumble should be the 2nd biggest WWE PPV of the year and now SummerSlam.

I agree Royal Rumble is the #2 show and SummerSlam has lost the spot. However, the wwe sees it as #2 because they book Mania to SummerSlam and SummerSlam to Mania most of the time for the long storylines and bigger feuds.

I still think SummerSlam is the #2 PPV because the Royal Rumble, as entertaining as it is, is nothing more than a set-up show. It doesn't blow-off feuds or settle anything. It just builds to a PPV two months down the road.

The Rumble is probably one of the most enjoyable matches of the entire year.

Agreed, its one match that I look forward to year after year. It really doesn't matter who is going to win, it's all the small things from the beginning to about the 40-45 minute mark that make it a fun event.

When I was growing up, since it was on Thanksgiving and always multi-man matches, the Survivor Series was always the #2 PPV. Then, over the years, when they added the "Winner Main-Events 'Mania" stip, The Rumble took that spot. Summerslam has always been 3rd or 4th for me.

I really don't want to see Triple H win the Elimination Chamber for the second year in a row, and since he's a no-brainer for one of the WM title shots, I guess he's my pick to win the Rumble. Its inevitable that he wins another one at some stage, since he's been pencilled in to win the last three at different points. I wouldn't be surprised to see Vickie make him #1 and have him last the whole way since it fits the story of her stacking the odds against him on Smackdown and its probably something they would love on his list of accolades.

Summerslam isn't that big of a deal anymore...basically just another monthly PPV. It used to be that it was the only PPV WWF had between like WM and Survivor Series...now, obviously that is not the case.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Vickie make him #1 and have him last the whole way since it fits the story of her stacking the odds against him on Smackdown and its probably something they would love on his list of accolades.

I hope not. That scenario has been done to death.

When I was growing up, since it was on Thanksgiving and always multi-man matches, the Survivor Series was always the #2 PPV. Then, over the years, when they added the "Winner Main-Events 'Mania" stip, The Rumble took that spot. Summerslam has always been 3rd or 4th for me.

I love Survivor Series as long as there are plenty of "traditional survivor series" matches. It's probably my second favorite PPV after WM. Summerslam is alright, but with too many PPVs throughout the year now, its lost most of its impact.

Yeah I am tired of guys that are 1-2 winning the Rumble and after the past 2 years they better not even think of #30 winning again. Why not go with someone in the 10-15 range for a change?

The Rumble is definitely the #2 PPV now though. Summerslam has lost a lot of luster in the recombined PPV era since there's really no difference between it and any other show.

I'll go with Michaels winning the Rumble, MVP being tossed the quickest since he's losing all the time now, Jericho for Iron Man.