TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Scroby

Royal Rumble 2009

I hated the Rumble qualifying matches because they often

a) included house show matches where one guy won by winning a match where they'd never announce who lost on TV, but the guy who lost eventually got in by winning a match on TV (ex: Chris Jericho defeating Muhammad Hassan to qualify for 2005, yet Hassan eventually won a match on TV to qualify while never being outed as the guy Jericho beat).

or

b) It was painfully obvious who was going to win (ex: Umaga vs. Duggan).

I'm with Enimga on this, and was going to use the exact same reference point (Jericho / Hassan). I believe they did that match multiple times over the weekend circuit, too.

Watching the 2000 Rumble, and something weird popped during The Fink's opening spiel, as he formally announced intervals as being two minutes or less. So there was no official interval setting? They just sent participants out to the ring whenevs?

It's funny that I just watched that too. I think the deal was they hadn't decided on 2 minutes or 90 seconds for time constraint purposes so Fink said what he said. Ross makes a point of saying "90 seconds". I think the same thing happens in 2003 (but the DVD has a re-dubbed Fink saying 90 seconds).

I added K-Kwik, Carlito, and Kendrick as per WWE.com and fancified Scroby's list with brand colours.

IT'S IN TECHICOLOR NOW!!!

The remaining 13 (in my opinion)

Raw:

Chris Jericho (to be reinstated this Monday)

William Regal

Sim Snuka

Mike Knox

SmackDown:

The Great Khali

MVP

Primo

Ezekiel Jackson

ECW:

Mark Henry

Finlay

Tommy Dreamer

Plus two random Legend entrants.

You can probably replace Sim Snuka with CM Punk. If Primo wasn't added at the same time as Carlito, I wouldn't be surprised to see him excluded.

I had a premonition that The Godfather was going to be making a cameo appearance at the Rumble, but I then realized his antics aren't PG.

Plus the Rumble isn't in Vegas.

I just hope the Royal Rumble winner actually main events WrestleMania. They've diluted the drawing power of the Royal Rumble to me by

2006: Rey wins Rumble but wrestles for the title in the undercard of 22. The fact they did some screwiness with Orton and the title shot didn't make me happy.

2007: Undertaker wins the Rumble and is on the FIFTH match of the card at 23. The last man in the Rumble that was thrown out, Shawn Michaels, is in the main event at WrestleMania 23 even though he LOST the Rumble

2008: Cena wins, puts the shot on the line at No Way Out and then is the third match from the top at 24.

You know, ...and I don't know why this came to my mind...but I had this twisted thought that Beth Phoenix, did she not have the title match, would be a funny surprise entrant for the Royal Rumble.

Maybe I'm just sick in the head though.

Raw and Smackdown now has 8 spots filled each and ECW only has 2. I'm assuming maybe 2 or 3 people from ECW will be announced tomorrow night but right now there are still 12 more spots to fill, which leads to a lot of mystery spots.

I'm assuming each of the losers in the 3 title matches (not including the Womens) match could be added to the Rumble but a spot or two could be held for "surprise" entrants, who hopefully aren't Jimmy Snuka or Roddy Piper. Either way, right now there are 12 spots left to fill.

I just saw that as well, however they're not on the WWE.com site yet. So I'm gonna wait till tomorrows ECW show or after they're on WWE.com.

I liked the Rumble numbers promo last night.

I was wondering about the footage with Hogan and company in there.

Just a question. If the wwe is going to be doing silver anniversary promos that lead to the past stars coming back for the show is it possible they will fill up the Rumble with the guys in that promo last night? Anyone think that is a good idea just for a novelty reason?

Also, suppose it's STEVE AUSTIN in the Rumble on Sunday and he WINS it to main event Mania against someone like Cena?

Not saying this is possible, but just for discussion sake would this help make WM feel bigger and special as the 25th anniversary?

I liked the Rumble numbers promo last night.

Looks like WWE's going to do that every year before the Rumble, as they did a similar promo last year.

Yeah... the Rumble is probably their biggest "stat-heavy" match/event, and they can play off the trends and such for a while.

Henry and Finlay are both now officially in the Rumble and added to the list. I think Henry will get the most eliminations this year.

Also, suppose it's STEVE AUSTIN in the Rumble on Sunday and he WINS it to main event Mania against someone like Cena?

Not saying this is possible, but just for discussion sake would this help make WM feel bigger and special as the 25th anniversary?

This will be the first PPV I'm actually going to order in over six months. I would love Austin to be involved somehow. I can see him starting an angle that culminates at Wrestlemania, but I don't see him coming back for a match.

I expect the unannounced 9 to consist of the following:

1. Fake Kane

2. The Rock

3. Steve Austin

4. Hulk Hogan

5. Todd Bridges

6. Danny Bonaduce

7. Dustin Diamond

8. Shane McMahon

9. Macho Man Randy Savage

I expect the unannounced 9 to consist of the following:

1. Fake Kane

2. The Rock

3. Steve Austin

4. Hulk Hogan

5. Todd Bridges

6. Danny Bonaduce

7. Dustin Diamond

8. Shane McMahon

9. Macho Man Randy Savage

You forgot BROCK LESNAR!

I changed the sub-title to the less debatable "4th oldest PPV" noting at the very least, that fact about the Rumble can't be debated, but then realized people can still argue The Rumble predates SummerSlam (which is true, but not on PPV).

The Observer lists Cryme Tyme and Dolph as announced entrants. No idea where Meltzer saw that announced (especially considering all 3 were in the rejected participants bit last week) but it's not unlikely. We'll hold off until WWE.com says something though.

Ok, let's replace Bridges and Bonaduce with Lesnar and Lashley.

In which case, Dana White will be shown standing on top of the tron after Lashely and Lesnar team up and eliminate everyone from the Rumble.