TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Scroby

Royal Rumble 2009

Anybody from the Syracuse, NY area watching the Rumble tonight or know where it's showing? I've tried to find a sports bar where it's playing but to no avail.

I really hope Triple H doesn't win. He doesn't need it, having won back in '02, and they can still easily have him get a title match at 'Mania in any number of different ways.

To be honest, I wish they would just take a chance and let an upper level mid card guy win, since it seems like an established main eventer has always been winning for the last several years. I mean, yeah, Mysterio winning was kind of a surprise, but he was basically already a main eventer at that point and quite popular, so it's not like they were taking a huge risk there.

I wonder if R-Truth will do his crowd entrance? Sandman did in 2007.

I'd guess no. He didn't even do a crowd entrance at Survivor Series, which disappointed me when I was there.

I think they should make the winner defend his shot in matches leading up to mania. That way it totally opens the rumble back up to where it's not 3 or 4 guys that are going to win and not surprise anyone.

I think they should make the winner defend his shot in matches leading up to mania. That way it totally opens the rumble back up to where it's not 3 or 4 guys that are going to win and not surprise anyone.

I never really cared for that idea when they did it before. Makes the outcome seem less important.

Yeah, I am pretty confident that not only is Triple H not winning, but Randy Orton seems like a pretty obvious winner. I was wrong with my prediction last year because I didn't see the Cena return coming.

I expect Orton winning will be the kayfabe reason for why Steph doesn't fire him after hitting the Punt on Vince. Then, I wouldn't be surprised if the SWERVE~! was that she wanted him to do it so she could keep her power over RAW.

Of course, I might be crazy because I also think DiBiase will "BATISTA" himself and turn face on Orton somewhere down the line. It worked for Evolution, don't see why it wouldn't work with The Legacy.

I'm incredibly excited for tonight's show. As a buddy and I discussed yesterday, even as little as I watch wrestling nowadays (and that's been the case, for the most part, for 3 or 4 years), I always check out the Rumble - it just has such a great 'event' feeling to it. I always look forward to the show itself, of course, but having supper and a few beer with the boys, along with our pool each year - awesome.

Any chance Kennedy will be returning tonight, or is he still hurt or something?

Also, as far as the title shot thing, I liked the idea someone had a while ago where the winner would get a title shot at No Way Out, so that they could still go whatever direction they wanted for Wrestlemania. Would also make the Rumble winner less predictable.

I joined a Facebook group with a Royal Rumble drinking game, wherein a discussion of the best rumble match ever took place.

First poster: 1997

Second: What about 92?

First: Maybe 95.

Third: When Mysterio won! 2003, I think?

Me: '92, and 2008 was surprisingly good

Fourth: Tirade about how bad 2008 was. Lengthy case for why 94, '02, and '04 were so much better.

95?!

I too was wondering about Kennedy. If he's not injured, this seems like the place for him to return to the ring.

I am becoming quite hyped about heading over to the States and I keep thinking something will go terribly wrong (I have a fear of tunnel bus delays but my friend has a fear of standing around outside an arena doing nothing, so we're heading over at 6). I have the tickets. I have the camera. I have batteries for the camera. No passport yet, but I got good enough ID until June comes. I'm awake and not taking a nap that goes too long. All those dreams I had where something got fouled up sure mess with you (same thing happened before Mania 23) but I think all systems are go.

I joined a Facebook group with a Royal Rumble drinking game, wherein a discussion of the best rumble match ever took place.

First poster: 1997

Second: What about 92?

First: Maybe 95.

Third: When Mysterio won! 2003, I think?

Me: '92, and 2008 was surprisingly good

Fourth: Tirade about how bad 2008 was. Lengthy case for why 94, '02, and '04 were so much better.

95?!

You know where else there's a discussion about that? Right here on TSM.

In all the Rumble hubub, the fact that this show has an undercard I'm looking forward to has gone unmentioned. I like all 4 matches (and the fact they're all title bouts). When JBL vs. Cena was made, I thought "well, it's the Royal Rumble, the title matches don't always matter" ala Holly vs. Lesnar in 2004, but the Michaels angle has me really interested in the deal now. Beth and Melina were delivering good stuff last summer, it's hard to go wrong with Jeff and Edge, and Matt Hardy always works hard (and I'm a Jack Swagger fan). It would have been nice if they gimmicked the ECW title match to give it something else to set it apart, but I've got no beef with 4 wrestling matches either.

If indeed Christian is revealed as the guy who is messing with Jeff, I wonder now if they're going to reveal it tonight or wait until No Way Out? I thought for sure it would be tonight, but if they wait until No Way Out, that still gives them plenty of time to hype the Jeff/Christian possible match at WM. Instead of banking on Christian showing up tonight, now I'm not so sure. Anyways, I'm going over my sister's house and me and my bro in law are splitting it for the first time since WM 23. Looking forward to it as always.

I'm watching the 2008 Rumble DVD now and I noticed when Piper and Snuka were fighting, Morrison says something to CM Punk who is sitting against the ropes and Punk starts to talk back in a joyful matter and then Morrison kicks him and CM Punk is all like OH NO YOU DIDNT. Funny stuff.

I see there are only 21 participants announced, so hopefully some surprises tonight? I really don't think they will be able to top John Cena from last year, ever. The only thing that would come close is Bret Hart.

One of my co-workers is confident Christian is in the Rumble. I told him if anything, he'll just be doing the deal with Edge, but it's not completely impossible.

My serious honest to God final 9 predictions:

1. Bob Orton

2. Dusty Rhodes

3. MVP

4. Shad (if not, Umaga)

5. JTG (if not, Kennedy)

6. Dreamer

7. Honky Tonk Man

8. Primo

9. Shawn Michaels - possible winner (it comes out JBL got him a spot after he lost his match with Cena with the intent of Shawn winning then handing over his Mania spot).

Also, according to the toll booth plaza camera, traffic is running smoothly.

Another bit of Rumble trivia from the Observer update:

--In the useless Rumble stats, if Undertaker eliminates three people tonight, he will tie Steve Austin's all-time record for Rumble eliminations with 36. Undertaker enters at 33 and Kane at 31 (thanks to Emerson Witner)

PWInsider.com has confirmed that former WWE and ECW champion Rob Van Dam is backstage in Detroit, Michigan and will be part of tonight's Royal Rumble. RVD is originally from nearby Battle Creek, Michigan, so he'll have a nice homecoming pop tonight. Van Dam was last seen on WWE programming at the Raw 15th anniversary special, pinning Santino Marella.

Edit...I put the tags on anyway.

Odds on Ziggler's elimination occuring as he yells at someone just eliminated: 1:1

Or he introduces himself to the person he just eliminated, and when they shake hands, that person pulls him out. OR there will be a bit where he'll enter the ring and introduce himself to everybody in there one at a time, basically stopping the match - then all will gang up on him and toss him, before going back to fighting.