TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alfdogg

This week in the NBA

Danny Granger's probably going to end up missing the All Star Game because of Chinese people. That's kind of a bummer.

I wonder how many people have been spamming this to try and get the voting changed from the current system. Shit, look at how many votes Arenas has this year and he hasn't played one fucking minute.

I know I've been voting for undeserving players like 10 times every day. Luke Ridnour and Yi FTW.

Actually, the margin has grown little by little (by about 20,000 or so between the first returns and these) with each return, after a little research. And these are the last returns before the starters are announced. The non-Chinese/New Jersey fans seem to be at least smart enough to realize "ok, Yi F. Jianlian can not be a starter in the All-Star game."

Conversely, Devin Harris has gone from ninth among East guards in the first returns, to fifth in the final returns.

Brandon Roy however is down to 11th among Western Conference guards, over 100,000 votes behind Rafer Alston. He should end up getting a bench spot again so it doesn't matter too much but that is still some heavy bullshit.

Guest Czecherbear

It's ridiculous that claiming a waived player should have any impact on Portland's salary cap. It's ridiculous that teams will probably sign him to affect Portland's salary cap. It's ridiculous that Portland has a salary cap at all. A public call to collusion is pretty brazen, but maybe it'll effect some change in the league's nonsensical financial system.

Over at a Knicks board, someone suggested signing Darius Miles and blackmailing Portland into making a trade.

The salary cap at work.

Guest Vitamin X

Of course, totally unknown in all this is that Raef's contract is coming off the books and whatever teams do with Darius will be negated by that. Fuck it, but I really hope no one tries signing Miles.

It's ridiculous that claiming a waived player should have any impact on Portland's salary cap..

This is actually the one thing I really like about the salary cap. If a GM is stupid enough to throw big money at a player like Darius Miles he should have do deal with the consequences.

Guest Vitamin X
It's ridiculous that claiming a waived player should have any impact on Portland's salary cap..

This is actually the one thing I really like about the salary cap. If a GM is stupid enough to throw big money at a player like Darius Miles he should have do deal with the consequences.

I assume you mean they, not he, since Portland would be the one dealing with the consequences. Of course, when his knee injury was deemed to be career ending, this seemed like a good move. Cut the guy and move on.

I wonder if the Grizzlies will be able to play him in some garbage minutes for two games and, if they do, if Portland will bother making good on their threat.

Guest Smues

I think it's INCREDIBLY stupid that Portlqnd will owe the guy 18 million dollars if he plays 2 games. But because of the stupid rules, I like Wilbons idea: have someone that has a home and home with Portland left on their schedule sign him so he plays both games against Portland, 1 minute each. That said, fuck Darius Miles and I hope he gets ZERO of that 18 million.

Memphis is pulling the dick move of all dick moves. They actually waived him a few days ago to avoid guaranteeing his contract of the season, then re-signed him just to fuck with the Blazers. The best part of this entire situation is that over $250,000 will go to each of the other teams in the league, straight out of the Blazers' pockets. However, the worst part of it is the NBA refusing to give the Blazers salary-cap relief since Miles basically defied the ruling of two doctors. The NBA's stipulations regarding medical retirements and non-active contacts (see Keith Van Horn being used as trade bait last year) are beyond ridiculous. If it wasn't for the luxury tax, would any of these teams really care about Darius Miles? Go and sign SAR or Hassan Adams or Keon Clark or any of the other 750 scrubs in the free agent pool. The Grizzlies don't need to be burning bridges with teams when they essentially use everyone as trade bait anyway.

I watched Cavs/Celtics, even though I hate both teams, and Lakers/Pacers. Accidentally finding out the score of Mavs/Suns saved me the trouble of watching that on the DVR.

The Lakers game was incredibly entertaining throughout. Glad to see they won, as did the Bulls, though I don't get to see them on TV unless they're playing Boston, LA, or Cleveland.

Speaking of Cleveland- do they ever wear their home jerseys? Every home game or highlight of theirs I see, they're in throwbacks and the visiting team is wearing white.

Memphis is pulling the dick move of all dick moves. They actually waived him a few days ago to avoid guaranteeing his contract of the season, then re-signed him just to fuck with the Blazers. The best part of this entire situation is that over $250,000 will go to each of the other teams in the league, straight out of the Blazers' pockets. However, the worst part of it is the NBA refusing to give the Blazers salary-cap relief since Miles basically defied the ruling of two doctors. The NBA's stipulations regarding medical retirements and non-active contacts (see Keith Van Horn being used as trade bait last year) are beyond ridiculous. If it wasn't for the luxury tax, would any of these teams really care about Darius Miles? Go and sign SAR or Hassan Adams or Keon Clark or any of the other 750 scrubs in the free agent pool. The Grizzlies don't need to be burning bridges with teams when they essentially use everyone as trade bait anyway.

The Grizzlies will never be a good enough franchise that burning a bridge will matter. If they really want to be dicks they should do what I heard suggested elsewhere, let him play one game and then call up the Blazers and ask what they're willing to part with so that they don't play Miles again. Then it's up to Portland to put up or shut up because they ended up making a stupid deal with a career scrub. As a Knicks fan I'm well aware of the fact that bad guaranteed contracts kill and have no sympathy for a team that was trying to encourage league wide collusion so they don't have to pay some luxury tax dollars.