Sign in to follow this  
Bored

BCS Championship Game Thread

MNC Question  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Oklahoma
    • Florida

Is anyone really surprised that OU came up small again? Giving a team a game against them or THE Overrated State University is just giving them a high profile win in bowl games these days. If only the voters could look past the names of the schools and look at the effort put forth on the field during the year we wouldn't get these boring games year in and year out.

The problem this season is all four of these teams have a claim. Utah went undefeated and hammered the second best team in the crowned best conference. USC lost to an Oregon State team that was no slouch and then beat everyone in their path much like Florida. Florida just slapped Oklahoma in the mouth for an entire half and walked out with the BCS title. Texas, well they defeated Oklahoma and their only defeat was to a top 10 team on a final drive.

This part simply isn't true, and it's a big reason why USC has no business being in the discussion for #1. Sure, they "beat everyone in their path" if by that you mean they won all their remaining games, but it was not "just like Florida" because there were multiple games where they really didn't look all that impressive, against largely weaker competition than what Florida faced (Oregon being a notable exception). The wins over Arizona and Cal were not especially impressive, largely due to their inconsistent offense, and the Stanford game was close for a lot longer than it should have been (although to be fair they won comfortably). Florida put up consistently better results against stronger opponents.

Here's my final Top 25 FWIW.

1. Utah 13-0 (never would have thought I'd have them this high earlier in the season)

2. Florida 13-1

3. USC 12-1

4. Texas 12-1

5. Oklahoma 12-2

6. Penn State 11-2

7. Alabama 12-2

8. TCU 11-2

9. Texas Tech 11-2

10. Ohio State 10-3

11. Boise State 12-1

12. Oregon 10-3

13. Oklahoma State 9-4

14. Georgia 10-3

15. Mississippi 9-4

16. Oregon State 9-4

17. Virginia Tech 10-4

18. Iowa 9-4

19. California 9-4

20. Missouri 10-4

21. Florida State 9-4

22. LSU 8-5

23. Michigan State 9-4

24. Arizona 8-5

25. Nebraska 9-4

Aaaand the AP rankings are officially out.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/rankings?pol...seasonYear=2008

Florida's the undisputed champion, but about as solid of a showing as could be expected for Utah with them strongly holding the #2 spot and getting enough first place votes to show that there's legitimate debate as to who the national champion is. Way more 1st-place votes than Auburn had in 2004 and about the same number that LSU had in the AP poll in 2003.

Guest Smues

I didn't have any real hope that Utah would get the AP #1, but I also didn't expect them to finish above 4th, so I'm incredibly happy to see Utah finish #2. No way that happens in the coachs poll, but I'll take it.

Guest Vitamin X

Nope, not really. Got a bit fun at the beginning of the 4th or so but every possession Florida has was just so mind-numbingly dull. Good god. Tebow would make the perfect Bears quarterback.

I don't know what you guys are talking about but I loved that game. Florida's D really stepped up especially with the goal line stand (with 2 4th downs if you believe the commentators) and the blocked FG. Tebow did pretty well and he did better in the 4th quarter running than in the 1st 3. He also made the big passes when they counted. Percy Harvin proves again that he is a beast and is not to be fucked with. Even playing at 85%, he managed to be a force to be reckoned with even after an ou player decided to try to fuck up his ankle even more after the play was dead.

Great end to the season and a congratulations is in order for the National Champion Florida Gators.

Needless to say I'm thrilled with the victory. I thought it was a very well played game by both sides. I had a feeling if the game came down to defense, which it ultimately did, that Florida would prevail.

Urban Meyer has most certaintly cemented his place as one of the best, if not the best coach in college football right now.

I love Tebow as much as the next Gator fan, but Percy Harvin most certainly deserved MVP.

"My team got outplayed by a better team. Man, fuck my team. Time to support USC."

Buffalo Bills fans know what I'm going through. Hell I think this is worse than the Buffalo Bills. We've lost 3 straight title games and 5 straight BCS Bowl games. How can you get up for your teams big games after watching them do this year after year? They continually get you hyped up and get you excited then they fucking fail you like that. Meanwhile you watch your rival (Texas) winning 3 straight BCS bowls. You continually listen from the media and fans of other teams say that you're a good team, but not great. That you're alright, but not championship material. They say you're chokers or that you don't belong or that you're always right there, but just not good enough to get it done.

That stuff wears on you. How can you not be jaded and upset after 6 years of this. This has been going on since the 2003 season. How does one put up with it? If someone can tell me I'd honestly like to hear.

Because I'm tired of watching my team fail in big games and I'm tired of listening to shit talked on them constantly, mainly because it's all true and that's what makes it hurt even worse.

If anyone can honestly tell me how the fuck you're supposed to deal with it then I'm all ears. Seriously.

The Bills never won the superbowl. OU won a title this decade. They're more the Atlanta Braves, 1 title and a lot of near misses. How do you deal with it? You get to cheer for your team after most teams are already done, you feel like crap after they lose, then you look forward to next year, because you know they're going to be competitive again. Making the title game and losing year after year still beats not making the title game.

Yeah man, it's good to be able to cheer them later than most people get to. But, that only works for so long before it gets frustrating and trying to watch them fuck up year after year. That's the reason I picked Florida to win, and in subsequent years I probably won't pick OU until they win an actual big game. They're pretty much guilty until proven innocent.

Amazingly, Oklahoma found another way to lose against the Gators, who won their second national championship in three seasons.

The Sooners probably beat themselves.

That's from an ESPN column on the game.

That's what makes this even worse. We could've won this game, but Stoops got outcoached again. We made some dumb playcalls in the redzone and played terribly which pretty much meant Florida was going to take it in the 4th quarter, and they did! OU could've been up by a couple of TDs at the half, but Litttle Game Bob came up short again and got outcoached. I swear he had to have gotten lucky against Florida State.

That just makes this so frustrating. I've watched my team get smothered by defense (LSU), blown out by a better team (USC), get killed by trick plays (Boise) and then just gashed with big play after big play (WVU). Now I get to watch them dominate a first half and squander every opportunity to score only to allow the team they'd just been competitive with for 3.5 quarters just absolutely whip them for the last 1.5 quarters. OU was better in the first half, they just squandered a ton of opportunities. But Florida was best team when it counted and that was in the 4th quarter of a tight game. I wish OU would learn how to do that, but probably not.

Now I get to listen to all the meaningless talk about how they're not going to let the season end like this again all summer. Then next season they'll find a way to fuck it up again.

The problem this season is all four of these teams have a claim. Utah went undefeated and hammered the second best team in the crowned best conference. USC lost to an Oregon State team that was no slouch and then beat everyone in their path much like Florida. Florida just slapped Oklahoma in the mouth for an entire half and walked out with the BCS title. Texas, well they defeated Oklahoma and their only defeat was to a top 10 team on a final drive.

This part simply isn't true, and it's a big reason why USC has no business being in the discussion for #1. Sure, they "beat everyone in their path" if by that you mean they won all their remaining games, but it was not "just like Florida" because there were multiple games where they really didn't look all that impressive, against largely weaker competition than what Florida faced (Oregon being a notable exception). The wins over Arizona and Cal were not especially impressive, largely due to their inconsistent offense, and the Stanford game was close for a lot longer than it should have been (although to be fair they won comfortably). Florida put up consistently better results against stronger opponents.

Does a team have to score 50 points a game to "look impressive" to you? Just because their offense wasn't as consistently good as it has been in previous years doesn't mean that USC wasn't as impressive as anyone in the country.

They were, because they had the best defense in the college football and one that will go down historically as one of the all-time best. Florida won their games by scoring a lot of points which looks better to people who don't really pay attention to the games and just look at the score in the newspaper the next day, USC won their games by suffocating the opposing offenses. There's no right or wrong way to win.

Looking at that final AP ranking, USC blew out (in what I think you would consider impressive fashion) three teams that finished in the top 10. Something no other team in this discussion can claim.

This guy on the local radio keeps going "They played for a national title? They've played for four national titles! What more do you people want?" I dunno, maybe winning more than one of them!?

He also said "I bet Florida doesn't think OU is slow anymore and I bet they don't think the OU defense sucks anymore!" Well I'm sure they didn't think that in the first three quarters. But I'm sure they thought whatever they wanted in the 4th quarter.

It is true that if OU had scored on those plays in the redzone they probably would've gone in at half up 21-7 and might've won the game. But you know what? Florida made great defensive plays and forced OU into the mistakes.

I thought it was awesome all season watching OU score 60 points in 5 straight games and rack up 700 total points. I realize I don't care now. I don't care because the offense failed when it was needed most and the defense couldn't hang on. LSU in 03 and last year proved you don't need a great offense to win a national title. If you smother someone, you can win it just as easily. I hope OU focuses on this defense that has been shaky since 03.

Hey Urban Warfare, what do you guys think of OU now? I mean you beat us fair and square and whipped us in the 4th quarter. Surely you don't think we're this terrible team you just rolled over though, right? I mean that game was a dogfight.

I felt the Florida offense had a pretty big advantage over the defense of OU but clearly I was mistaken. I was very impressed with the different blitz and coverage packages OU threw at Tebow (prime example being the McCoy interception, the other pick was a bad decision by Tim).

As I said in my prediction, Gresham worried me most and he was a monster the entire night. I think OU was 3 or 4 plays from winning the game but you certainly have to give Florida credit for two big goal line stands and a big field goal block and to Tebow who made big plays when he needed to. I didn't think for a second Florida would "roll over" Oklahoma; I was fully expecting a close game.

Yeah well, the defense certainly stepped up. I hope this game shows OU that a great offense is all well and good but a great defense can disrupt that. OU's defense was able to give Florida trouble and Florida's defense was able to give OU trouble.

Now if OU can make the defense the focus, because even if Bradford and Gresham leave the offense still has a ton of talent with Murray, Brown and Broyles coming back.

I mean hell USC proved that you don't have to score 60 points. You can score 21 if your opponent can only score 7!

Plus Florida was patient. They kept going with what worked and eventually wore OU down. And their defense was able to demoralize the OU offense with those big plays.

I really really hope Stoops learns from this and focuses on the defense hardcore.

I don't mind Florida. I don't dislike them. I don't mind them and Meyer being the face of college football, much better than USC and Carroll IMO.

What is it with those coaches from Ohio being so salty though? Meyer, Tressell, Stoops, Pelini......all guys you don't want to say the wrong thing to if you're a sports writer. All kind of emotionless guys. Weird.

What is it with those coaches from Ohio being so salty though? Meyer, Tressell, Stoops, Pelini......all guys you don't want to say the wrong thing to if you're a sports writer. All kind of emotionless guys. Weird.

Did you just call Pelini emotionless? Dude got dinged twice this season for almost murdering a ref on the field!

Did you just call Pelini emotionless? Dude got dinged twice this season for almost murdering a ref on the field!

Well the dude can be pretty stoic at times. Maybe I should say joyless as far as these guys go?

I don't think Tebow is the greatest player ever, but a lot of people are going down that path right now. I think he probably certainly is top 5, but I don't think he's better than Vince Young (who i think is the greatest).

Now if he comes back next year and wins a 3rd national title and a 2nd heisman, then oh yeah he's the best.

I had this Miami fan that I work with tell me to cheer up. He was like "Well you guys are still one of the greatest college football programs of all time! OU is easily top 4."

And that's true. OU is one of the best college football programs ever. But what we did in the past doesn't help me now. Stoops rattling off conference titles and 10-12 win seasons don't mean a whole lot when he's 1-3 in the national title game.

Stoops rattling off conference titles and 10-12 win seasons don't mean a whole lot when he's 1-3 in the national title game.

You seem to be overlooking the fact that he's gotten to 4 national title games. Do you know how many programs would be absolutely fucking overjoyed to see that kind of success?

Stoops rattling off conference titles and 10-12 win seasons don't mean a whole lot when he's 1-3 in the national title game.

You seem to be overlooking the fact that he's gotten to 4 national title games. Do you know how many programs would be absolutely fucking overjoyed to see that kind of success?

I guess the previous 7 national titles have just kind of spoiled us. Plus you know, constantly seeing your team lose on the big stage. That sucks too.

I guess the previous 7 national titles have just kind of spoiled us. Plus you know, constantly seeing your team lose on the big stage. That sucks too

6 of 8 division titles since Stoops' national title in 2000, which was the team's first since 1985. Oh, and 5 of those led to conference championships. Oklahoma is easily the second most dominant program of the decade. I know coming close and losing sucks, but I would kill for just a single conference title for my team in that span. The national title game is ultimately meaningless, and while a fan should always be a bit pissed when his team loses a big one, I would say that Stoops rattling off conference titles and 10-12 win seasons means he's an incredible college football coach all but perhaps two or three programs in the country would love to have.

Yes I realize most programs would love to have Stoops as the coach and love to be in the position OU is in each season. But, when you're in that position and constantly finish the season with a loss in big games then sometimes you wish that maybe you weren't in that position.

This guy on the radio earlier said it was stupid to wish that you were winning the Cotton Bowl rather than losing in the Fiesta Bowl or the BCS Championship game. I'm so desperate for a bowl win that I'd take a Cotton Bowl victory next season rather than losing in another Fiesta Bowl or national title game!

I think OU needs to figure out how to finish the season and how to win big games (like the Texas game) before they make it back to the national title game. Going to 3 straight BCS Bowls and going to 4 national title games is great, and most teams would love to have it. But, I think OU needs to go back and relearn some things before they try this huge leap again.

If Sam Bradford comes back then they'll probably be right back in the thick of the title hunt. The offense won't be as dynamic, but it'll still be very good. Not 700 points good, and they probably won't do the fast break basketball on grass like they did every play this season, but they'll still be good. And the defense should be better since about 9 of those starters are going to return.

However, if Bradford leaves then OU probably is in the Cotton Bowl or Holiday Bowl. They'll have redshirt freshman Landry Jones running the show. He's unproven and he'll be starting with a new cast on offense. So Murray, Brown and redshirt freshman Jermie Calhoun will be called on to run the ball.

Sure Bradford was a RS freshman last season when he burst onto the scene and starting setting NCAA freshman records, but he was special. I don't think Landry Jones is another Sam Bradford. I think guys like that only come around once in a lifetime for us. I doubt we'll have another Bradford at OU that will come in and have the impact he did so quickly.

That's why I'm so upset about this loss. This was probably our best chance for god knows how long. Then again, I thought 2004 was our last chance for a long time too and with Bradford's emergence we got right back into it shortly thereafter.

Basically it's a tough time because not only did they just blow another national title game, but the future is completely uncertain and waiting to find out what happens is killing me.

... Seriously, what is the "love" behind Tim Tebow?

I understand the 2 NC (though that's more a team achievement) and that he won 1 Heisman (As have many other players).

But what's the big deal?!?

It can't be the statistics... He didn't even throw for 3,000+ yards this year and hasn't even run for 1,000 yards in a season.

Steve Young at BYU threw for 3,900 yards, 30+ TD, and ran for almost 550 yards all while completing 71% of his passes in one year.

1998: Daunte Culpepper threw for 3,690 yards with 28 TD vs. 7 INT and ran for 463 yards and 12 TD. He also completed 73.6% of his passes and threw the ball 402 times.

2008: Tim Tebow threw for 2,747 yards with 30 TD vs. 4 INT and ran for 673 yards and 12 TD. He also completed 64.4 % of his passes and only threw it 298 times (explaining the low INT totals).

Can anybody logically explain to me why Tim Tebow is being heralded in the Top 10 college football players of all time?

He ran for 23 TD in 2007? Of course... he carried the ball 210 times (and a season long of 25). Vince Young ran for 11, 14, and 12 TD in his college career and his carry high was only 167. Pat White carried the ball 165 times in 2006 and still scored 18 TD (also threw for 1,600 yards and 13 TD).

Is it the 30-20 thing from 2007? The 2 National Championships? It can't be the 1 Heisman (despite being a Soph when he won) because numerous others have 1 Heisman to their credit.

Can anybody logically explain to me why Tim Tebow is being heralded in the Top 10 college football players of all time?

Yeah, its almost every day we see a player win a Heisman and two national championships in his first three years at the school. And say what you will, but the Gators don't win either national title without Tebow.

What Tebow brings to the field and to the team can't be measured by stats (although they are still pretty damn impressive.)

Guest Czecherbear

Yeah, HarleyQuinn can't dig up the stats for Filipino circumcisions per carry!