TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agent of Oblivion

NFL PLAYOFFS

If you're going to be so bold and smug about your statements about why I'm wrong, then please give an explanation. Otherwise you just end up looking like another internet forum regular with a false sense of intelligence because your other forum pals automatically denote you to be correct. Which you arent, in this case.

Or, I have a degree in statistics and 10 years experience in the field, and I know that probability and odds measure the exact same thing, and are just expressed differently (as your example showed). One or the other.

To lay the argument to rest (God, I hope so), the Cardinals having a 50/50 chance of winning assumes both outcomes (winning and losing) are equally likely, which I think we can all agree is not the case.

If you're going to be so bold and smug about your statements about why I'm wrong, then please give an explanation. Otherwise you just end up looking like another internet forum regular with a false sense of intelligence because your other forum pals automatically denote you to be correct. Which you arent, in this case.

Or, I have a degree in statistics and 10 years experience in the field, and I know that probability and odds measure the exact same thing, and are just expressed differently (as your example showed). One or the other.

Yeah but your statistics are only worth 84% of his

33% because they're either worth more, less, or exactly the same. Right?

33% because they're either worth more, less, or exactly the same. Right?

Exactly. Can we move on?

My picks:

Ravens over Titans: I haven't been sold on the Titans all year, and I'm still not. The offenses are pretty much a wash. Both QBs will struggle mightily. I see this being extremely low scoring (I picked 13-10 in the kkk pool) and probably hinging on a key defensive play. I think the Ravens D is just a touch better.

Steelers over Chargers: I'm not buying the sudden Charger resurgence. They needed OT just to beat a good but aging Colts team at home, which is their only decent win all season. I think the Steelers beat the hell out of them on both sides of the ball.

Panthers over Cardinals: The Cardinals are 50/50 to even show up for this game. (Either they show up, or they don't.) The Cards did not impress me in beating a very young Falcons team at home, and odds are they'll just be satisfied with getting their one playoff win. Carolina is gonna murderize them, something like 34-10 or 37-14.

Giants over Eagles: I've said all year that the Giants are the best team in football, and this is where they start to prove it. No way does Philly get anything done against this defence, and Brandon Jacobs is going to ram the ball down their throats.

My picks:

Giants over Eagles: I've said all year that the Giants are the best team in football, and this is where they start to prove it. No way does Philly get anything done against this defence, and Brandon Jacobs is going to ram the ball down their throats.

This, times a million. I'm still impressed at how the Eagles turned it around after a dumbfounding eight days in November, but they have to hit the wall sooner or later. This is it. Brandon Jacobs, even with the three-headed monster that is the New York Giants rush, is a pleasure to watch.

Rest of my picks to follow.

Ravens over Titans: I think that the Ravens defense is going to shut down the Titans just enough to win a close game 17-13.

Steelers over Chargers: The Steelers should be able to win, as I still am not sold on this Charger team. If Pitt can contain Sproles it will be the Steelers by 10.

Cardinals over Panthers: This comes down to 2 areas: Arizona's run defense and Boldin. If Zona can play the run anywhere close to how they did against Atlanta they will be in good shape because Delhomme will have to lead them to victory. If Boldin can't play or is ineffective it becomes the Fitz/Breaston show and that won't be enough. Lets go upset of 24-21 Arizona.

Giants over Eagles: I want the Eagles to win but I see the Giants pulling this out. My only concern is that the Eagles and Gaints have played each other tough both times. Giants 27-17.

Ravens over Titans: Yeah, they lost to the then-unbeaten Titans once already this year, but Tennessee scored 10 if its 13 points in that game in the fourth quarter. That ain't happenin' today.

Chargers over Steelers: Just for the sake of being bold.

Panthers over Cardinals: Let's take every single head-to-head factor out of the equation. The Cardinals suck in the East. That's strong enough to trump any other intangible.

Giants over Eagles: The return of Jacobs is enough. I know the Giants weren't rolling over and playing dead, but Week 11 was a much different game to Week 16. Giants get the win.

Where is the Raven defense? Is there a chat for this game? I am suprised Marvin hasn't made an annoying comment yet.

I couldnt get off til 5. Heard Flacco's TD in the car on the radio and about drove off the road.

That was also a huge 4th down stop there. The tide has turned now!

Where is the Raven defense? Is there a chat for this game? I am suprised Marvin hasn't made an annoying comment yet.

I couldnt get off til 5. Heard Flacco's TD in the car on the radio and about drove off the road.

You missed a beautiful throw. I dont recall the last time I have seen a pass that perfect.

It was less we stopped them and more they fucked up the snap.

good game so far...pretty much a street fight...not liking the lack of run game, thats gonna catch up and hurt Flacco sooner rather than later

Is there a chat for this game?

NFL playoff chats tend not to happen as much as CFB or MLB chats since it's four games in two days with 7-8 hours per day. A couple times I remember doing chats for the games I figured would draw the most people (notable was the Colts-Steelers game in '05), and the only game this weekend I could see pulling that weight is Giants-Eagles

If the Ravens win, I really hope SD wins tomorrow because theres no way they can play another all out physical game vs Pittsburgh next week like this one and win.

and Im just waiting for Collins to make a dumb mistake..he's about due.

Im thinking their backup Center sucks.

If the Ravens win, I really hope SD wins tomorrow because theres no way they can play another all out physical game vs Pittsburgh next week like this one and win.

and Im just waiting for Collins to make a dumb mistake..he's about due.

Be careful for what you wish for, you might just get it.

There is your mistake Marvin.