TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
PILLS! PILLS! PILLS!

Cuts are a comin!

Truth was pegged as a main eventer by Vince up until he started having some shitty matches with Shelton and others on house shows.

D'Lo failed a drug test right when he first came in, so he had that going against him.

This will probably be the year Bob Holly is finally released.

If Holly survives it's probably because he was recently in rehab for pain pill addiction and it could be bad PR to fire the guy, especially when the wellness policy is front and center again with the transcript releases (even if Holly never failed a wellness test but was caught stealing pills from another wrestlers bag).

You know, everyone is subject to their own opinions, but to say that ECW and Smackdown are lacking in good wrestlers is positively baffling.

ECW has one of the best veteran workers there is in Finlay, a guy who is working hard matches in his 50's now. Not to mention that he took a punishment and turned it into something hugely marketable, that being Hornswoggle.

Matt Hardy has always been one of the most consistent guys on the roster, match quality wise.

Jack Swagger is still young and needs to develop, but has done quite well for himself at this stage, and certainly better than a lot of the other talents they try to rush up from development (Thorn would be an appropriate name to drop in this case).

Miz/Morrison are technically ECW talents, and are one of the most over acts in the company. Morrison is a great worker for his age and tenure, and Miz has drastically improved. Not to mention that as personalities, they're near the top of the food chain.

Smackdown has the MVP of recent years in Edge. Jeff Hardy is a great babyface, and while not a great technical worker, still a great worker given the settings he's placed in. Shelton Benjmain is one of the best athletes in the company, MVP improved to a very good worker thanks to feuds with Benoit and Matt Hardy (but is being wasted in the losing streak gimmick)...I mean, seriously. To not like the worker is one thing, but to say there are no good wrestlers is another. A vast majority of us hate Triple H, but that doesn't mean the guy isn't capable of putting on excellent matches.

If Holly survives it's probably because he was recently in rehab for pain pill addiction and it could be bad PR to fire the guy, especially when the wellness policy is front and center again with the transcript releases (even if Holly never failed a wellness test but was caught stealing pills from another wrestlers bag).

I wouldn't say that the company wellness policy is front and center at this point. Is Holly good friends with some of the power players backstage or something? Like Undertaker or JBL?

ECW has one of the best veteran workers there is in Finlay, a guy who is working hard matches in his 50's now. Not to mention that he took a punishment and turned it into something hugely marketable, that being Hornswoggle.

I've never heard that before. For what was Finlay being punished?

Just because you clearly don't watch the show, and thus are unfamiliar with the names, doesn't mean they should be released.

I didn't watch in '91-'92, and wasn't familiar with Razor Ramon or The Undertaker, but the buzz about them got my attention and I started watching again.

I didn't watch in '96, and wasn't familiar with Steve Austin, but his persona immediately got my attention and I started watching again.

Some guys are legitimately marketable...some will sell a few "trinkets", as Venkman says.

Lose the dead weight and give me 4 hours of nothing but Edge, Jericho, Taker, JBL, HBK, Orton & the 2nd Gen'ers, HHH, Cena, Show, Santino, Shelton, Regal, etc. and you might have a fan again.

Yeah, except you're not proposing to cut the 09 equivalents of Steve Austin and the Undertaker like John Cena, and well, the Undertaker. You're listing guys like Duke Droese and Phineas Godwin. Not everyone on the card is a cash cow, and I guarantee if you look at the rosters from 99-02, you'll find a bunch of shitty wrestlers.

Hell, if you did your list of "beneficial cuts" back in 96, you probably would've listed HHH.

Being tight with the boys on top doesn't really matter anymore. Kid Kash was a part of the top of the chain in the Smackdown locker room back during his short run. He was in pretty tight with guys like Benoit, JBL, and Taker.

Hell, if you did your list of "beneficial cuts" back in 96, you probably would've listed HHH.

That is the rub. He's cutting guys who have potential, haven't had much time to sink or swim, and probably don't cost WWE that much. Cutting guys like D'Lo and Venis is easy for WWE because they know what they've got. But with the younger talent you always have the potential that WCW had Undertaker, Diesel/Kevin Nash, Razor Ramon/Scott Hall, and HHH under contract and couldn't manage to get even a fraction of their potential out of them.

He's just cutting people because he's never heard of them. Scotty Goldman/Colt Cabana has long been considered one of the most WWE ready indie guys and has yet to get a chance to see if he could get over in WWE. He could well be a money maker for WWE. And as was said, you don't HAVE to be a main eventer to make WWE money. But if you just cut anyone and everyone who isn't over than you're not really using any judgment as to whether the guy actually has ability that YOU have failed to tap or that he has failed to fully show. Sure, potential can amount to nothing but none of those stars he mentioned were sure things that no one doubted when they first debuted. Austin had a character sure to get cut by that criteria before he became Stone Cold. As did the Rock, HHH, Cena, and others.

Never mind that he's cutting people who ARE over like Swagger and Killings. Or even contemplating cutting Miz & Morrison when they've been one of the most over undercard acts in WWE for a long time and WWE seems to deem them valuable enough to use them on all 3 shows.

I actually think much of his list is defensible but the method just seems completely backwards.

I wouldn't say that the company wellness policy is front and center at this point. Is Holly good friends with some of the power players backstage or something? Like Undertaker or JBL?

The word was that when Finlay pitched the idea to return to the ring (after having been a road agent), Johnny Ace was against it, thinking him too old (or just wanting to keep him in a backstage role). Finlay apparently mentioned his idea to Vince, who loved it. Ace, feeling that Finlay went over his head, saddled him with Hornswoggle, figuring such a gimmick would hurt any credibility Finlay could gain.

The word was that when Finlay pitched the idea to return to the ring (after having been a road agent), Johnny Ace was against it, thinking him too old (or just wanting to keep him in a backstage role). Finlay apparently mentioned his idea to Vince, who loved it. Ace, feeling that Finlay went over his head, saddled him with Hornswoggle, figuring such a gimmick would hurt any credibility Finlay could gain.

No wonder John needs management.

The episode of The Simpsons where Homer bowls a 300 game. He lies to Marge by saying Lenny is ill. Marge tells the kids, they respond with "NOT LENNY!".

Matter of factly, I just said it cause I thought it was funny. I also believe it started during the days of TSM not allowing OAO show threads.

At this point, Val's employment might as well have been a novelty. I assume Coffey is now on suicide watch, though.

I think this calls for that rant where Coffey went crazy when someone said Val Venis is an average worker.

So far the only talent that was released were folks who were rostered but unused, or referees that 99% of the viewing audience will not know is missing.

Add Christian, Tomko and Low-Ki and subtract Val Venis, Kevin Thorn, D'Lo Brown and Bam Neely - I bet Christian costs more than all four, and all referees combined. Of course Christian draws/makes money for the company whereas those cut are basically dead weight.

These talent cuts were basically for show - it's the 10% of the office worker cuts that was the cost cutting.

Cutting both ECW and Smackdown brands out completely (and doing what exactly with those timeslots?

Do what they did from '99-'02...put good wrestlers on those shows.

This guy name was Hulkamania4eva on another board.

Where did this come from?

I'll say it- I think Batista should be cut, if only for how often he gets injured, and how old is is getting.

This is what I get for defending the WWE folder.

Stupid, stupid, stupid. Batista is one of their most marketed stars and has big matches with Cena and Orton lined up when he comes back.

Truth was pegged as a main eventer by Vince up until he started having some shitty matches with Shelton and others on house shows.

D'Lo failed a drug test right when he first came in, so he had that going against him.

Where did you hear this? If I recall, Truth's only blotch was his debut match with Dykstra

I'll say it- I think Batista should be cut, if only for how often he gets injured, and how old is is getting.

This is what I get for defending the WWE folder.

I think that he absolutely does not speak for the WWE folder with comments like that.

- WWE officials aren't as high on R-Truth's in-ring performance since being brought to the SmackDown brand. Truth's push has somewhat ben put on hold because the feeling is that his basic wrestling skills are limited. They believe that he can hit the flashy spots and all, but needs to work on the basics more. http://www.idiotsrunningawebsite.net/idiotsrunningawebsitenews/headlines/231381071.php

It's not that he botches, but rather the decision makers feel that Truth is all sizzle and little steak.

Since when does WWE care about basic moves and having in-ring talent? I know it helps some people, but a lot of pushed guys are "all sizzle and little steak", too.

Anyways, really disappointed in a way, as I really like Val Venis and DLo Brown, but I knew the day was coming and they weren't being used anyways.