TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The MagicJack Offseason Bowl

Actually, the proposed rule would penalize celebrating before the TD was scored (ex: doing the Deion high-step at the 10-yard line). Still would be pretty dumb though IMO.

It'd be particularly awful given how inconsistent celebration calls are now. The first time a guy gets a flag after he high-steps to break a shoestring tackle at the 10 and then finishes it all the way to the endzone, or dives to reach the endzone in a similar situation, it'd be dead. If the rule ever happens (and I don't think it will), it'll be gone the next offseason.

Guest Smues

In news that only I care about Eastern Washington got hit with sanctions by the NCAA.

SPOKANE, Wash. (AP) — The NCAA is penalizing Eastern Washington's football program for numerous violations under former coach Paul Wulff, now the coach at Washington State.

Among the violations announced Wednesday were allowing ineligible athletes to practice, having too many assistant coaches and failure to properly monitor the team.

Eastern Washington was put on three years' probation and is banned from postseason play next season. It also was penalized two scholarships and had limits placed on recruiting and coaching.

In addition, Wulff cannot have any contact with the Washington State football team during the first three days of practice this season.

I'd complain, but Wulff brought the program a lot of success and some playoff wins, so whatever. Plus if I'm lucky he'll keep doing this, and get WSU hit with sanctions, that'd be nice.

Hey you know what we need...more bowl games!

A local coalition is hoping Orlando will go bowling for a cure.

A group of business leaders has created the Orlando Sports Foundation to launch Bowl for the Cure, a new bowl game to be played in December at Bright House Networks Stadium on the UCF campus.

The bowl game, which still needs agreements with two Division I-A conferences and NCAA certification, would benefit the Central Florida affiliates of Susan G. Komen for the Cure and the American Cancer Society.

Aww I was hoping for the Cancer Bowl. The sponsorship possibilities would have been endless!

Sadly, MagicJack will no longer be sponsoring the St. Petersburg Bowl. As of this post, there's no word on whether they'll continue to sponsor this thread.

Also, can any Tennessee fans (Kotz?) or Knoxville residents (Big Shirtless Dale?) enlighten us as to the fanbase's reaction to Lane Kiffin's recent run of embarrassing public statements? Is he just trying too hard to impress people or what?

I am a UT fan/temporary Knoxville resident and the fans are in LOVE with him right now. He is bringing excitement to the players, the program, and recruits. The shot at Urban Meyer was an overblown thing said at a UT fan rally and was meant to get them excited. Those buying in to the notion that Florida will beat UT by 2093489h9 points because of this are offbase, they've already done that the last two years so we've got nothing to lose and Meyer is a "run up the score" guy anyway, so it really doesn't make a difference.

Listen to this reaction he got at a basketball game. This was before the Meyer thing but it would be even louder now.

Fulmer was a pussy for years when he was constantly made fun of by Spurrier, so its very fresh for us. Kiffin is often compared, personality wise, to a young Spurrier.

And all this negative press is really just clouding the GREAT things he is doing right now in the offseason. Our pathetic conditioning program is completely overhauled and the players are noticing the dramatic disadvantage from that standpoint that they faced last year. Young guys will play immediately instead of the old "senior starters" mentality that Fulmer had.

To get the full picture of what he is bringing to UT, I implore you to read this article in this week's SI(which is sure to bring more attention because it'll sell big cuz of A-Rod)HERE

If you read that and still think he'll fail at UT, I really don't know what will convince you.

Sadly, MagicJack will no longer be sponsoring the St. Petersburg Bowl. As of this post, there's no word on whether they'll continue to sponsor this thread.

Given the choice of sponsoring a college football thread on a wrestling message board or sponsoring a bowl game of 6-6 Big East and Conference USA teams, I believe MagicJack has made a wise choice.

Guest Smues

Apparently FSU is about to be hit HARD with sanctions, and they may lose all their football victories in 2006 and 2007, which would give Joe Pa a rather large lead in the all time wins race.

Edit: Found the story

The Florida State football team will vacate an undetermined number of wins, serve four years' probation, and face a reduction in scholarships and other penalties due to what the NCAA described Friday as "major violations" from an academic cheating scandal.

Nine other programs were also penalized -- baseball, men's track and field, women's track and field, men's swimming, women's swimming, men's basketball, women's basketball, softball and men's golf -- and face the same sanctions. Overall, the scandal involved 61 athletes.

Football coach Bobby Bowden would have entered the coming season with 382 career victories, trailing Penn State coach Joe Paterno by one win on the all-time list. The sanctions will force him to forfeit all wins during which ineligible students competed in 2006 and 2007.

Ouch.

Apparently Lane Kiffin told some kid that he'd pump gas for the rest of his life if he signed for South Carolina.

The kid signed with South Carolina.

Glad the Raiders ditched his ass. He's low.

Guest Smues

Wouldn't telling a kid he'll pump gas make more sense at say, Oregon or Oregon State?

The story is BS. By the accounts of all the other recruits the Vols have gone after, he is extremely polite. What's not BS is that Kiffin has apparently, according to the rumor mill, landed the top prospect in the country. He, out of his own pocket, is bringing his family to Knoxville this weekend just before his announcement on monday. When Bryce Brown announces on Monday, he'll be all Vol. He will join #1 all purpose back David Oku, who announced for UT a couple days ago. As predicted, a great, potentially top ten, class for Lane in his first offseason. Ole Urban didn't pull that off his first Offseason.

Larry Coker lives on!

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform...aspx?id=4217361

San Antonio, TX (Sports Network) - Former Miami-Florida head coach Larry Coker is reportedly set to become the first-ever head coach for the new football program at the University of Texas-San Antonio.

According to the San Antonio Express-News, Coker beat out Tulsa associate head coach Paul Randolph and Northwest Missouri head coach Mel Tjeerdsma for the position.

The Roadrunners plan to play their first season in 2011 in the Football Championship Subdivision.

Coker spent six seasons at the helm for the Hurricanes, leading the school to a national championship in his first season, 2001. After winning three consecutive Big East titles from 2001-2003, Miami moved to the ACC, and Coker didn't fare as well. The Hurricanes failed to appear in a BCS bowl in the final three seasons of Coker's tenure, and he was subsequently fired after compiling a 60-15 record overall.

- Former WR Troy Walters is also the new OC for Indiana State.

Yeah Urban had to settle for two national titles. Such a shame.

As well as recruiting and coaching a Heisman winner. But if you don't get the Rivals.com love, then what does any of that even really mean?

As predicted, a great, potentially top ten, class for Lane in his first offseason. Ole Urban didn't pull that off his first Offseason.

Yeah, Meyer should be real ashamed of his 2006 class that included Tim Tebow, Percy Harvin, Brandon Spikes, Jermaine Cunningham, Brandon James and Riley Cooper.

Man this Florida/Tennessee stuff is getting better than the Spurrier/Fulmer days. They haven't even played a game yet under Kiffin and already the hate is about to explode! Awesome.

Apparently Lane Kiffin told some kid that he'd pump gas for the rest of his life if he signed for South Carolina.

The kid signed with South Carolina.

Glad the Raiders ditched his ass. He's low.

You ever been down to South Carolina? He's pretty much right. I couldn't venture as to the fates of athletes at other SEC schools, but USC (yeah, we call it that since IT WAS HERE FIRST) is poop as a school unless you're going for a business degree and even then it's middle-of-the-road at best.

EDIT: Oh Bored, I can't help but laugh at that .gif and want to kill you at the same time.

Big news concerning Eastern Washington...

http://64.246.64.33/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=s...aspx?id=4211197

Eastern Washington was placed on three years probation and will not be eligible for postseason play following the 2009 regular season, among other penalties.

The violations included impermissible participation by ineligible student- athletes, the use of too many countable coaches, failure to monitor the program by former coach Paul Wulff, the lack of institutional control and failure to monitor by the university.

Eastern Washington self-reported the violations to the NCAA in February, 2007 and self-imposed several penalties that have already been implemented. But the infractions committee levied additional penalties, including the 2009 postseason ban.

The violations, in and of themselves, were considered secondary violations, but the volume of the violations led the committee to rule that this was a major infractions case.

Wulff, who left after the 2007 season to take the head coaching job at Washington State, was singled out in the NCAA's findings.

Big news concerning Eastern Washington...

http://64.246.64.33/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=s...aspx?id=4211197

Eastern Washington was placed on three years probation and will not be eligible for postseason play following the 2009 regular season, among other penalties.

The violations included impermissible participation by ineligible student- athletes, the use of too many countable coaches, failure to monitor the program by former coach Paul Wulff, the lack of institutional control and failure to monitor by the university.

Eastern Washington self-reported the violations to the NCAA in February, 2007 and self-imposed several penalties that have already been implemented. But the infractions committee levied additional penalties, including the 2009 postseason ban.

The violations, in and of themselves, were considered secondary violations, but the volume of the violations led the committee to rule that this was a major infractions case.

Wulff, who left after the 2007 season to take the head coaching job at Washington State, was singled out in the NCAA's findings.

In news that only I care about Eastern Washington got hit with sanctions by the NCAA.

SPOKANE, Wash. (AP) — The NCAA is penalizing Eastern Washington's football program for numerous violations under former coach Paul Wulff, now the coach at Washington State.

Among the violations announced Wednesday were allowing ineligible athletes to practice, having too many assistant coaches and failure to properly monitor the team.

Eastern Washington was put on three years' probation and is banned from postseason play next season. It also was penalized two scholarships and had limits placed on recruiting and coaching.

In addition, Wulff cannot have any contact with the Washington State football team during the first three days of practice this season.

I'd complain, but Wulff brought the program a lot of success and some playoff wins, so whatever. Plus if I'm lucky he'll keep doing this, and get WSU hit with sanctions, that'd be nice.

Only beat you to it by about a month or so. I'll try to do better next time.

But like I said last month, Wulff made the team a contender, and I can't wish too much ill-will on him. Well, other than going to the prevent defense and blowing a large lead in the 2nd round of the playoffs in...2004? But other than that I'm ok with him. And if he gets WSU in trouble I'd do a dance of joy.

Ah, sorry didn't see it. I agree that Wulff made them a contendor but this could potentially hurt them long term if other issues arise over the next three years that force another penalty.

I think letting ineligible players practice is the biggest issue and think having too many assistant coaches isn't a bad thing at all.

The recruiting limits could be more damaging than the lack of a playoff berth and two future players lose their scholarships unfortunately (which is huge now given the economy).