TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RedJed

TNA Genesis 2009

I've always liked Jarrett because he's a solid, smart midcard heel (which is the prototype of my favorite wrestlers) but outside of his match years ago with Shawn Michaels there had never been another JJ match that I thought was a really great match. There were lots of good ones. And even more pretty good ones. And I thought his match with Angle at BFG was very good... But man...I just watched the Genesis match again...and that thing was great. Now...Angle's been having really good matches for the last year (I guess he must be healthier now...cause the last year was far better in ring than his first year was) so I'm sure that's part of it. I mean...the last time JJ had a match I thought was great he had it with a guy who could have a great match with his eyes closed. But they both really brought it. The shot of Jarrett crawling back into the ring all bloody after the Olympic Slam was so memorable that if it happened in a company that knew how to promote things it would have been a major moment that was talked about for some time.

I even liked the finish.

Yes it ended with a rollup after all that brutality...but the way it came off to me (and it's yet again TNA's fault not to put over on commentary what I was able to spot in my living room) was that Jarrett had to slide on top of Angle that way (leaving him prone to that easy rollup) because he was selling the damage Angle had done to his ankle with the Anglelock. I've badly sprained my ankle before...and Jarrett slid over to make that cover the same way that I would have to slide out of bed to hop to the bathroom. I just loved this match.

And it didn't even start with a lockup!

Yes. That match is one of the very few matches that would have been so great to hear JR call. No one puts over big moments better than JR does...and TNA usually is about big spots not big moments. I can only imagine how much better it would have been to have JR calling Angle and Jarrett crawling to the ring and then the looks on their faces when they locked eyes back in and started brawling with what they had left. He'd have made it epic. The wrestlers did their part.

Yeah they had crowd problems all night. You could tell that they were just their to see who they knew and that they didn't care about the guys they didn't. That's actually what impressed me so much about Sabin/Shelley. The crowd didn't give two shits about that match when it started...but they brought the crowd up by the end of the match through their hard work. Usually being on the road makes the shows better...this not so much.

Just finished watching Genesis.

6 man tag - good opener, it never gets old to watch Herndez tossing around smaller wrestlers.

Sabin/Shelley - Christ their entrance music sucks. But another good, solid match. Bit of a poor ending, and the Tenay kept selling it like the Guns are going to split - which I hope they don't.

Sewel/Bashir - the video package for this was great and really sold the match to me (I've not watched TNA in months, just kept up with the spoilers). The match itself was OK.

Beer Money/Morgan-Abyss/Lethal Consequences - Glad to see BMI with matching attire and with the belts back. Good match and the BMI manager spot was all kinds of class. The sort of thing you'd expect to see on a house show on a live PPV.

Knockouts - skipped. But the chokeslam at the end was all kinds of poor.

Angle/Jarrett - Everything that needed to be said about this match has been said. Great match.

Sting/Rhino - poor story that hurt the match. Not all that great.

6 man tag - Average. Cute Kip sucked the life out of this match and made me not care. It's not his fault (or Nashs for that matter) but the match suffered because of it.

Overall, it was okay. Not a great PPV but not a bad one.

Yes. That match is one of the very few matches that would have been so great to hear JR call. No one puts over big moments better than JR does...and TNA usually is about big spots not big moments. I can only imagine how much better it would have been to have JR calling Angle and Jarrett crawling to the ring and then the looks on their faces when they locked eyes back in and started brawling with what they had left. He'd have made it epic. The wrestlers did their part.

To be fair to Tenay, Tenay did try selling both Angle and Jarrett crawling back to the ring but Don West just really fucked things up with his over analyzing every thing. Tenay used to be really great at play by play but I think working with Don West for such a long time has really gotten him to break away from good play by play.

To be fair to Tenay, Tenay did try selling both Angle and Jarrett crawling back to the ring but Don West just really fucked things up with his over analyzing every thing. Tenay used to be really great at play by play but I think working with Don West for such a long time has really gotten him to break away from good play by play.

West likes to think that he knows everything that the people in the ring are thinking. He sits there and runs down the wrestlers motives, ideas, and goals as if he knows exactly what they're thinking.

Re: Kip James being in the main event.

Ironically, the reason nobody else in the promotion was considered was because of the feeling that in the past when they’ve done a main event sub using one of the good working undercard guys (they’ve done it with Eric Young and Kaz), there were complaints that it weakened the match in fans’ eyes. But since Kip, in their minds, was once a star, he was different from an undercard guy. And it’s actually harder on the heel side because in theory giving an undercard babyface a break should work, but people in this day and age have guys slotted because it’s so hammered in your heads where everyone stands. Anyway, people groaned when Kip came out as the replacement, and then trying to convince people he was a star based on WWF titles from a decade ago (former hardcore champ, please) because they felt they needed to justify him as a top guy after the role he’s playing, only made things worse. The worst thing TNA can come off as is a company where the fans think it consists of guys who were once WWE stars that got old, and young guys that aren’t good enough for WWE. And the way they book and promote, they actually feed into it.

Meltzer also reports that TNA only had five hours to find a replacement for Nash. The other idea for the main event was for it to be Booker and Steiner vs. Foley and Devon (with Devon being picked over AJ via coin toss), and for the restart to come after the heels would beat down and injure Devon and get DQ'd. They went with the Kip James idea because Jarrett liked it better.

I've only had a chance to see the Angle/Jarrett match, and I thought it was really good. There were a few things I didn't like about it, but it was still around the **** range.

The alternate idea for the six man main event sounded WAAAAAAAY better to me, that's all I know.

There was a spot in the Observer too about some thought given to calling up Rick Steiner for the match last minute also, instead of using Kip.

Sorry if it was posted earlier in the thread, but apparently Sting was rehabbing his knee in secret between tapings and didn't let TNA know until a few days before the Genesis ppv, which is why the Rhino match was booked the way it was.