TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agent of Oblivion

NFC Championship Thread

I must be crazy. I think McNabb is the third best quarterback this decade (behind Peyton and Brady).

He's been up and down over his career, but has consistently been one of the best. He always puts up good, but not great numbers and has led some really average teams deep into the playoffs. In any given year, he might not strike you as the third best in the league, but over a sustained period his numbers hold up really well.

Guest Vitamin X
I must be crazy. I think McNabb is the third best quarterback this decade (behind Peyton and Brady).

You're definitely right with Peyton and Brady, but I don't think McNabb is a clear-cut third best. In fact, it's pretty hard to argue who else has been as consistent besides those three- guys like Palmer and Pennington both have had great seasons followed by injury troubles/bad teams that have caused their production to drop off significantly. I think you might want to count Drew Brees in there (particularly from 04 onwards), and aging QBs Favre and McNair both had great seasons this decade as well. Roethlisberger might warrant some consideration as well, but yeah even with McNabb dropping off as of late, for the first half of this decade, McNabb was pretty darn consistently good.

McNair is clearly better. I think Brees and Favre have also had better decades. After that...I don't know. I don't like throwing guys out there who have had only two or three good years and haven't been consistent in their level of play. For example, Kurt Warner has had four great seasons. One of those was in 1999, and the other three have been spread out. Do I think Warner is a better QB? Yes. Do I think he will go into the Hall of Fame? Yes. But I won't put him up there with the best of the 2000's QB's. He either played poorly or not at all during the middle of the decade.

Thinking about it now...McNabb is only worthy of discussion in this topic because he's played the whole decade. 2004 and 2008 are the only years on his resume that stick out and say to me, "wow, he's GOOD." Not deserving.

I'm picking the Eagles. The way Arizona has been playing it wouldn't surprise me to see them win, but I really won't be 100% sold on them until I see them hoisting the Lombardi trophy. A win in this game would go a long way towards convincing me they're for real, but I still feel like I'm just suspending disbelief at this point. I mean, I watched this same team get absolutely destroyed by the Patriots in week 16, and by the Eagles on Thanksgiving, and I'm just waiting for them to come back to earth. Winning on the road in Carolina was a notch in their belt for sure, Delhomme shitting the bed not withstanding, and it's surely in their favor to play at home, but I still have a wait and see approach. Even if they beat Philly I don't think I'd pick them against either AFC team.

He's been up and down over his career, but has consistently been one of the best. He always puts up good, but not great numbers and has led some really average teams deep into the playoffs. In any given year, he might not strike you as the third best in the league, but over a sustained period his numbers hold up really well.

I tend to agree with this. McNabb's numbers are better than McNair's in TD's, TD/INT ratio, regular season and playoff win % (he only needs another season to pass him in passing yards as well). He's had more team success than Brees and Palmer. McNabb vs. Favre for this decade...maybe I'd go with Favre but he's had his ups and downs since 2000 as well. Probably a little early to throw Eli and Big Ben in the discussion right now (although Ben would shoot up the ranks if he wins the Super Bowl this year). As some have pointed out, McNabb's only had a true #1 WR for one season, and even then, T.O. didn't play in the playoffs that year until the Super Bowl. Also, McNabb had some good seasons before Westbrook became the player he is now. Yes, McNabb does have some warts on his resume, but I've always felt like he's been unfairly criticized relative to what he's accomplished in his career. It just seems like most people want to highlight the negative points in his career and/or minimize the positive points he's had for some reason.

Guest Czech please!
It just seems like most people want to highlight the negative points in his career and/or minimize the positive points he's had for some reason.

I think the reason is a combination of being black, aloof, and an Eagle.

I had ESPN Radio on during my ride home from work today and John Clayton called McNabb a future Hall of Famer. That was probably the first time I've heard someone from the media praise him that highly.

He has to be. He's been to the NFC Championship five times, has a great touchdown-interception ratio, winning postseason record, 85.9 career QB rating, a career record of 73-39 so far.

I am cheering hard for Philly to win the Super Bowl, but I'm 0-4 so far in the NFC playoffs, so I'll probably pick Arizona.

Then please pick the Eagles to win. Please?

I definitely think McNabb gets criticized unfairly sometimes, but let's not forget he made the whole Philly/TO thing much worse with his "black on black crime" comment and subsequent handling of the situation. He still holds the 1999 Draft over this Philly fanbase, which he should really let go. We were hoping for Ricky Williams as the #1 pick and didn't get him, so the fans were pissed. I'm sure all of them are eating crow right now and they're fine with that. Sure you'll have retarded fans boo him for anything, but his anger is directed more towards the media than the fans. It isn't the fans who want to run him out of town. I want him to stay here and retire here. He's the best Eagles QB in history, and last year's 75th Anniversary poll proved that.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Tuned in just in time to see Edge get two first downs in a row and that Fitzgerald TD. Seen three Dodge Ram commercials already.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Adding a new thread feature. On the topic description on the Sports Folder page, you'll note the "Ram-o-Meter" which measures the number of times we've been subjected to the all new dodge ram never back down from a challenge.