TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE Raw - January 12, 2009

isn't that ref Scott Armstrong? Isn't he 2nd gen?

Good call. Return of the heel referee? I hope they really draw it out - for months even - before they finally put it together that Scott Armstrong is a legacy.

so what, are we trying to go full nWo with this group or something? Whats next, Shane McMahon revealed as the mastermind of the group because he's 3rd Generation?

And then Carlito and Primo will join, as will Chavo Guerrero, Natalya, Manu, Umaga, Goldust, Sim, Jesse, Hornswoggle along with developmentals Joe Hennig, TJ Wilson, Talor Rotunda, Dakota Windham and Brett Dibiase = Legacy Black and White. Orton, Dibiase, Rhodes and Smith = Legacy Wolfpac. Is Rey Mysterio considered second generation?

Of course not. Maybe Scott Armstrong missing the kick out was coincidence.

Probably was. I only pointed it out because almost every match he's officiated, his name is mentioned. Might be just something Kane can bitch at Vince about next week.

You know bearhugs make it really hard for me to justify wrestling as not being gay. Two shirtless oiled up men feeling each other is pretty gay already, but then they have to hug and make it look like it hurts like anal rape. It's really gay.

Probably was. I only pointed it out because almost every match he's officiated, his name is mentioned. Might be just something Kane can bitch at Vince about next week.

Maybe the bookers just wanted reason for Kane to clear the area go Manu/Snuka could come out and confront Orton, so he chased the referee to the back.

Holy shit, JBL porbably gave Michaels some Mamajuana to help him win. That, and inching the ropes to his hand as King called it.

You know bearhugs make it really hard for me to justify wrestling as not being gay. Two shirtless oiled up men feeling each other is pretty gay already, but then they have to hug and make it look like it hurts like anal rape. It's really gay.

You trying to tell us something?

I have to admit, the whole Manu/Snuka angle tonight was amusing. Once they mentioned having another guy with them you had to know whoever it was would simply turn on them and join Orton. So basically they are back to Orton/DiBiase/Rhodes, which is what it originally was. Just need a 4th guy now.

Manu was in there before they started chasing Orton to join them.

Anyway, I'd like to see someone change their friggin' attire in this group. To tights, or something.. The only way I can tell Orton apart from the other two is the tattoos and his Hogan-esque orange glow.

That match was pretty sweet. That sell of the SCM at the end by Cena was great.

That was a hell of a nice looking superkick, in part because cena sold it so good. I'm not a big fan of cena but when he wrestles Michaels he is different somehow...as in much better....great match. ****1/4.

One thing that really bugged me though was after watching micheals really wrench back hard on the crossface (great job by him and cena there), cena turned around and put him in his absurdly weak looking stf. Camera shows micheas, and there is 2 or 3 inches of space between cena and his micheals chin and micheals is selling it like death. Yes this has been talked about forever as far as annoying people but in this case it really did hurt what otherwise was an outstanding match. It not only makes cena look like an idiot for not knowing how to apply a hold but it more importantly makes the other guy look stupid for having to sell it. And considering the drama in this match, that spot is SUPPOSED to be one of the cliff hanger parts and it just blows it for me. He has to know and has been told by now so I'm guessing he's been doing it this way just to annoy people...and although he probably laughs about it, it hurts the credibility of his opponent.

I have to admit, the whole Manu/Snuka angle tonight was amusing. Once they mentioned having another guy with them you had to know whoever it was would simply turn on them and join Orton. So basically they are back to Orton/DiBiase/Rhodes, which is what it originally was. Just need a 4th guy now.

I think after a long period of time, they will probably or at least should, use that kick to the head orton gave TD as a reason for him to turn on orton...when they break the group up. One of those "I got close to you just so I could beat your ass" type of deals.

Anyway, I'd like to see someone change their friggin' attire in this group. To tights, or something.. The only way I can tell Orton apart from the other two is the tattoos and his Hogan-esque orange glow.

Hey, I like that idea for the group. Cody and Ted look nothing like their fathers. Both look like a distant cousin to Orton.

Hey, I like that idea for the group. Cody and Ted look nothing like their fathers. Both look like a distant cousin to Orton.

I wish I still had the "Hulk Still Rules" DVD so I could see if Ted Jr. looks like his dad sans beard.

...or maybe someone could edit a Ted Jr. picture with him with a beard to see how close he'd look to his dad.

You trying to tell us something?

I hate bearhugs aned headlocks and all these stall moves, especially bearhugs.

Did Cole not get JR's memo about "The Throwback"? I kept waiting for him to call it that, and all three times (two attempts and one execution) it was referred to as "Going for the win" (once) or "the victory", which gave me an idea of what to call a finisher if I were ever to be a wrestler. That will never happen, so I'll just name a move that in SVR 09 someday.

I had a ticket to the show but we got a damn snowstorm really bad around here today, and the highway was actually closed down to get to Sioux City, IA from where I was at, unless I wanted to take a really long detour in a blizzard. So ended up starting to drive down there (it was a few hours away), and then having to turn back, missing the show, too bad since I thought it was a pretty good show.

That Austin video package was one of the more well done ones I've seen WWE do in awhile. Job well done there.

The Legacy beatdown was one of the stronger angles I've seen on TV in weeks. It's going to be hard keeping them booked as heels, as they are really getting over. Jericho fired was completely out of the blue, makes me think either Vince rehires him next week (and starting up a family feud type deal with Vince/Jericho v. Steph/?????) or he goes to Smackdown and has a match at Mania with Kennedy, or something.

Matches were hit or miss (although I would have been pissed to see that Punk/Regal match live at the arena) other than Michaels/Cena, which was a great ppv calibur match, just a few steps below their Mania one. Hell, after watching it again, I may think even better of it. Great nearfalls there and the overall build was top notch.

- I enjoyed how two of the storylines on the show (Jericho being fired and a bad ref call) seemed like shoots on real life things going on in WWE. Who doesn't love that!?

- Seriously though, if Jericho isn't rehired by Vince next week, I hope we get a Rumble appearance by WWE newcomer and masked sensation El Corazón de León.

- The Austin video was good stuff and I marked for Cult of Personality.

- I'm glad Ted is back in The Legacy. I was never fond of all this talk of him maybe being a face against the faction - why would this happen? Maybe it's because in my mind I looked at Cody and Ted as recent tag team champions and I thought Orton already made it clear he was only trying to kick sense into Ted (and the Manu/Cody/Ted group as a whole) back when he first did it, but perhaps that was just interpretation on my part. I remember being puzzled that Cody lasted 30 minutes in last year's Rumble (and that Taker had to sell a dropkick from him), but he's come a long way in a year.

- Shawn / Cena was good and the superkicks were great, but I always have and always will view the Mania 23 as the best match they've had. This is pure bias based solely on the fact I was there live and found it to be an amazing experience.

Where is this Jericho storyline going? I think it's heading somewhere big. The wwe is building their WM card and Jericho is either jumping to SD! and will challenge UT's streak, or Vince comes back next week and reinstates Jericho (hopefully not via Kiss My Ass club membership - thankfully that wouldn't be PG programming) leading to Stephanie bringing in Steve Austin for one match only Jericho vs Steve Austin at WM25.

OK...looked on obsessedwithwrestling.com:

28.jpg

I can see some resemblence to the current Ted when there's no beard.

Here's another:

Ted_Dibiase.JPG

Anyone else ever notice that DiBiase (Sr) looks kind of Asian or at least Native American around the eyes? I wonder what his background is.

Austin isn't going to come back to face Jericho. Austin will only come back for a big-money match, and while Jericho has been awesome, Austin/Jericho isn't a big-money Main Event match.

By itself, no. If Jericho is aligned as a surrogate for Mr. McMahon, maybe.

The Austin/McMahon rivalry was the real big money feud during Austin's career. If that dynamic can be revived to gain more heat on Jericho, it could work.

If Austin comes back.. it should be for a huge moneymaker dream match (ie: vs Hogan) or to put over a younger talent on the cusp of becoming the next big superstar. I love Jericho but he doesn't fit in either category.

I think Austin has made it clear he won't work with Hogan because it doesn't serve him to lose to Hulk, and Hulk will want Austin to lose. Austin seems willing to come back to put over a younger guy but that seems to be it.

I guess I'm the only one who was a little bit stunned to see the Crippler Crossface not only broken out by Michaels but hearing Cole openly call it the Crippler Crossface. Years later or not, that still feels like one of those moves that just needs to be forever shelved in the WWE.