TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dubq

ECW - January 13, 2009

Dreamer winning the title at ONS would be quite appropriate. Knowing WWE though, if they were to go in that direction, they would have Dreamer win, then cut some emotional speech about how "he just wanted to see if he still had it". Then he would immediately announce his retirement following the win.

Dreamer winning the title at ONS would be quite appropriate. Knowing WWE though, if they were to go in that direction, they would have Dreamer win, then cut some emotional speech about how "he just wanted to see if he still had it". Then he would immediately announce his retirement following the win.

I have no real issues with that scenario. Thats if Tommy wants to hang them up.

Or in typical ECW fashion, after cutting the speech, someone comes out, destroys him and wins the title.

Or in typical ECW fashion, after cutting the speech, someone comes out, destroys him and wins the title.

To kind of emphasize what I stated earlier. Having Tommy finally get the win over Swagger in an Extreme Rules match, at ONS would be the perfect way to send him off. Tommy's promo could be about how he just wanted to see if he still had it. Now he knows that he does, and he'll never have to worry about what might have been. He tearfully retires as ECW Champion. It could go down as a classic WWE PPV moment if they do it right.

You're probably right though HSJ. WWE will pull some bullshit where some new up-and-coming heel will hit the ring, challenge Dreamer, destroy him, and become champion.

As much as I like Dreamer, I would laugh my ass off if that happened.

Why is everybody so desperate for show to dissolve and rosters to get merged.

Last time I checked business was doing okay, no? Did I miss the sudden reason to panic about the current state of the company, or has it been 3 months already since the last time somebody said they should end the draft split (this arguement founded, 2002)?

So, Jack fucking Swagger is now a "World" Champion.

The "World Title" status of the ECW Championship was informally withdrawn when Chavo Guerrero appeared in the Royal Rumble last year.

Seriously, are we going to have this argument again?

I apologize for for discussing, not arguing, shit on a message board that was obviously designed for anything but discussion...

It's not that, it's just we have this same "discussion" if you will every two to three months that get us no where.

Must be difficult to ignore.

Hulk Hogan was a World Champion and was in the Royal Rumble. The fact is that you can't say the ECW Title isn't a World Title simply because the champ is in a Royal Rumble match. Stop acting like you're above criticizing.

That's an idiotic argument. Hulk Hogan was in those Rumbles when they didn't decide who got the title shots at WrestleMania. The WWE/World Champion has never been in a Rumble after 1991. I figured you were smarter than that.

It's very obvious WWE doesn't view the ECW Title these days on the same level as the other two. And when they tried to, nobody in their right mind thought The Undertaker was going to choose to face Bobby Lashley for the ECW Title in the main event of WM23.

Why is everybody so desperate for show to dissolve and rosters to get merged.

Last time I checked business was doing okay, no? Did I miss the sudden reason to panic about the current state of the company, or has it been 3 months already since the last time somebody said they should end the draft split (this arguement founded, 2002)?

Who said anything about ending the "brand extension"?? We're talking about the dissolving of ECW. For me, I'm not desperate for it, but I think it would be a smarter idea in terms of talent consolidation and bolstering the other two rosters. There really is NO point to an ECW brand/show (especially a roster that only has, what, 10 active wrestlers on it?) that a RAW/Smackdown multi-brand show (like a new version of HeAT) couldn't accomplish. It can still exist on it's own. It can still have great matches with new talent, it just doesn't need to be the SAME MATCHES every single week from the same < 10 man roster. Get rid of the ECW title, and bring in a TV title that's defended every week, maybe even make this a place where the tag team division can also get a chance to re-establish itself, and bam, you've got a show that I'd tune in to watch for sure.

If you have the point to why exactly ECW the brand/show needs to exist then I'd love to hear it. It's worth about as much as the WCW brand name these days anyway.

I know this is probably an impossibility, but I would LOVE for WWE to pull a swerve, have Tommy Dreamer win the Royal Rumble, then challenge for the ECW title at WrestleMania.

If you have the point to why exactly ECW the brand/show needs to exist then I'd love to hear it. It's worth about as much as the WCW brand name these days anyway.

Sure. First, they have a contract with Sci-Fi and it does some of the best ratings on the network and it's a good platform to develop new talent, and allow some older talent (Matt Hardy, Finlay) to help mentor the younger talent.

I know this is probably an impossibility, but I would LOVE for WWE to pull a swerve, have Tommy Dreamer win the Royal Rumble, then challenge for the ECW title at WrestleMania.

Yea, no.

Sure. First, they have a contract with Sci-Fi and it does some of the best ratings on the network and it's a good platform to develop new talent, and allow some older talent (Matt Hardy, Finlay) to help mentor the younger talent.

Well I pretty much covered that part with..

It (edit: as in the show in it's timeslot on Sci-Fi) can still exist on it's own. It can still have great matches with new talent, it just doesn't need to be the SAME MATCHES every single week from the same < 10 man roster. Get rid of the ECW title, and bring in a TV title that's defended every week, maybe even make this a place where the tag team division can also get a chance to re-establish itself, and bam, you've got a show that I'd tune in to watch for sure.

I don't understand what your argument is- do you just not like them using the ECW name? ECW's been dead since 2001, I don't see the big deal.

I'll admit to not watching ECW, because the Mentalist and hockey are usually on at the same time.

They could call it Smokey Mountain Wrestling and I still wouldn't care what the name of it is. I just think it's pointless to have it as it's own brand.

Except most of the time ECW is more entertaining than Raw and Smackdown.

Except most of the time ECW is more entertaining than Raw and Smackdown.

I'm speechless. Are you trolling? Or did you really mean that?