TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dubq

ECW - January 13, 2009

Except most of the time ECW is more entertaining than Raw and Smackdown.

I'm speechless. Are you trolling? Or did you really mean that?

I actually find ECW a lot more entertaining than Raw or Smackdown some weeks. It's only an hour and they get more stuff done and there's normally a fresh face just about every week.

I think part of that reason is that we don't come into ECW with the same high expectations as Raw & Smackdown. It's much easier to like what they give us. The other shows at one time gave us much more than they do now.

With Cole on Raw and Smackdown being Smackdown, I find it hard not to put ECW on the top of my list nowadays. Fewer promos, more wrestling, excellent announcing.

Except most of the time ECW is more entertaining than Raw and Smackdown.

I'm speechless. Are you trolling? Or did you really mean that?

No, Scroby's not too far off. The few times I'm able to watch ECW, it's a solid show.

And regarding what dubq said- it really isn't it's own brand anymore, it's just an hour to get over talent on Sci-Fi. They don't do their own house shows, and they're always on RAW and Smackdown.

So, this wasn't a gag. They really did have Jack Swagger win the ECW Title. From Matt Hardy.

Good God.

Do you watch ECW? Jack Swagger is awesome. And Matt Hardy's reign was getting boring, with him facing the same opponent (Mark Henry) two matches out of three. Plus, Matt needed to get rid of the title so that he could be more involved in the Jeff/Edge/mystery attacker storyline. Swagger was the best man to transition the belt to.

It's the size of the roster that kills me. They have 13 wrestlers -

Chavo Guerrero - Basically a SD! wrestler these days

DJ Gabriel - I dug him early, but it's the same thing week after week.

Evan Bourne - was transitioning to Raw even before his injury

Finlay - Player/coach role means he'll never be a contender. just in case, Hornswoggle makes sure of that.

Jack Swagger - ECW Champion

John Morrison - Float to all brands, though being only tag team on ECW, never wrestle

Mike Mizanen - See Morrison above

Matt Hardy - finishing up in ECW, to move to Edge/Jeff/Christian storyline on SD!

Mark Henry - Bad ass character, but he needs a bigger roster to work with.

Paul Burchill - I liked his move here. His last chance.

Ricky Ortiz - I HATE HIS GUTS

The Boogeyman - Can't wrestle worth a lick

Tommy Dreamer - No rub left to give.

Seeing as how ECW is basically the wwe equivalent of the land of unwanted toys, would it kill them to send Scotty Goldman, Ryan Braddock, Kizarny, Manu, Charlie Haas and Jamie Noble there? Raw and SD! would miss exactly nothing and you'd give these underused talents a chance to get themselves over. D'Lo Brown would have been a nice veteran to move here as well. Gavin Spears deserved a longer opportunity.

Wwe should cycle in midcard veterans to give the young call-ups an established name to work off of. There was nothing worse than those NTI matches with the call-up fighting Armando Estrada week after week or unknown call-up vs unknown call-up violence.

The Boogeyman - Can't wrestle worth a lick

Speaking of him.. what's with him getting squashes for a couple weeks in a row now on TV? Last I heard Vince wasn't so high on him anymore and he was only going to be used in novelty/comedy appearances.

What I wanna know is when did the guy who managed to blow out both of his quads in one of his first matches and is roided to the gills at 45 become one of the most agile guys on the roster? Before he came back for his second push during the time of him and Big Daddy V's epic feud... dude was as awkward in his movements as Big Zeke.

So, this wasn't a gag. They really did have Jack Swagger win the ECW Title. From Matt Hardy.

Good God.

Do you watch ECW? Jack Swagger is awesome. And Matt Hardy's reign was getting boring, with him facing the same opponent (Mark Henry) two matches out of three. Plus, Matt needed to get rid of the title so that he could be more involved in the Jeff/Edge/mystery attacker storyline. Swagger was the best man to transition the belt to.

I do (did) and he's not.

I like to think I'm someone who doesn't run down wrestlers often, even ones I don't particularly like watching. There's just something... well, a lot of things... that I can't stand about Swagger, which I've laid out in previous ECW threads. Such as:

He's got a great look,

Disagree. The singlet is bush league and half the time his eyes look glazed over and clueless. Unless you meant the build, in which case, *shrugs*.

gimmick

What is the gimmick exactly, because I swear I haven't been able to figure it out. I've got as far as him being an All American, in which case he's about 8th in line to the throne as far as that gimmick. The smile is awful and has nothing to do with anything. The chest pound he does when he comes out is awful and has nothing to do with anything. He's basically an amateur wrestler with a few random pro-wrestler taunts. If that constitutes a gimmick then lord help us.

is a very good worker, he seems to learn and improve each time out so far and he's different.

I'll admit he's improving. The first few weeks he looked completely lost except between the bells. Very good worker is definately stretching it though. He knows a few amateur throws and that's about it. I can watch a Shelton Benjamin match and get the same thing, only more polished. He probably will be a big star because he's someone's pet project. As far as earning it, he's got a long way to go. To me, he just screams 'green' outside of the amateur wrestling stuff.

I pretty sure I could, name 500 wrestlers I'd rather see as ECW Champion than Jack Swagger. If Hardy needed to drop the ECW Title to be involved in a main-event storyline, surely he could have done it in a better way than losing to the greenest guy on the entire roster?

I'm all for putting young guys over, but this was way, WAY too soon. It's like if Lesnar had beaten Rock 3 years earlier than he did. Jack Swagger vs. Tommy Dreamer in 2009 would be low standards for a European Title feud, let alone a supposed World Title. I... can't express how awful this all is to me.

I need to lie down.