TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bob_barron

Oscar Nominations Thread

Thing is, Taxi Driver was one of a few ultra bleak films nominated in 1976. Network was also nominated, All the President's Men as well I think. Rocky was the lone feel good flick that stood out from the others.

Chicago over Gangs of New York....how about over Two Towers as well? But then a similar argument could be made for A Beautiful Mind over the first LOTR.

Just wondering but is this a thread for predictions or is it just to discuss the nominees?

Aside from Citizen Kane and maybe Touch of Evil, which ones would Welles really have deserved it for? I never understood the hype for Magnificent Ambersons. And the rest of his films tended to either be sabotaged by low budgets (all his Shakespeare stuff) or were genre thrillers dressed up with fancy camerawork (The Stranger, Mr. Arkadin), or just weird stuff that the Academy never even would've considered (The Trial, F for Fake). His legendary problems post-Kane with getting anyone to finance his films pretty much wrecked his whole career.

This was a thread designed for people to predict and say what they wanted nominated, and to discuss the actual nominations.

When the awards are closer, we can have one for predictions and for the show itself

This was a thread designed for people to predict and say what they wanted nominated, and to discuss the actual nominations.

When the awards are closer, we can have one for predictions and for the show itself

Well we'd better...or else YOUKNOWWHO will start a new thread in Site Feedback.

Well we'd better...or else YOUKNOWWHO will start a new thread in Site Feedback.

Fuck off.

M.I.A. is Sri Lankan not Indian actually.

Don't even bother explaining that to Jingus, they are all the same to him...

Anyway, I'm pretty surprised Downey Jr. got nominated for Tropic Thunder. Kinda happy TDK didnt get nominated for all those "TDK is the best movie evaaaaa" type people.

Aside from Citizen Kane and maybe Touch of Evil, which ones would Welles really have deserved it for?

What, were those not good enough for you?

Well, Kane is the obvious critical favorite of his career, sure. It losing out to How Green Was My Valley, which wasn't even the fourth-best movie nominated, is one of the more infamous whoopsies of Oscar history. Although admittedly the competition was unusually stiff that year, what with Maltese Falcoln and such. Touch of Evil on the other hand didn't get nominated for jack shit, in an awards year which saw Gigi walk off with Best Picture, so yeah he totally got raped on that one.

Anyway, I'm pretty surprised Downey Jr. got nominated for Tropic Thunder. Kinda happy TDK didnt get nominated for all those "TDK is the best movie evaaaaa" type people.

Those people are correct though. And you're happy an undeserving film that got medicore reviews at best got nominated over a film that was critically and commercially acclaimed?

No, he did not. He won an Honourary Oscar.

I don't know what he was up against, but Rear Window, Dial M For Murder, Psycho, Lifeboat- no problem with him winning for any of those.

I'm not sure if The Dark Knight deserved to get nominated for Best Picture myself but it's certainly more worthy than The Reader!

Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan is also pretty high up there in terms of snubs. Though I think that it seemed so obvious that Saving Private Ryan would win that year maybe they just picked it to shock everyone ala Crash in '06.

Oh and Altman is another fantastic director that never won an Oscar save for an Honorary one a year or two before he died.

Those people are correct though. And you're happy an undeserving film that got medicore reviews at best got nominated over a film that was critically and commercially acclaimed?

No it isn't the best movie ever. But then again, it's all about opinions. No one can really determine what the best film ever is, everyone has their own personal preferences.

Either way I'm pissed off that In Bruges didnt get nominated, and that Colin Farrell didn't get nominated for the same film. Towelhead also should've gotten some nominations, more so Aaron Eckhart for best Supporting Actor.

No it isn't the best movie ever. But then again, it's all about opinions. No one can really determine what the best film ever is, everyone has their own personal preferences.

That's not true. The answer is Searching For Bobby Fischer.

I'm not sure if The Dark Knight deserved to get nominated for Best Picture myself but it's certainly more worthy than The Reader!

Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan is also pretty high up there in terms of snubs. Though I think that it seemed so obvious that Saving Private Ryan would win that year maybe they just picked it to shock everyone ala Crash in '06.

Crash winning was more a lot of the Academy's older block not going for a gay movie. Plus, Shakespeare in Love probably translates well on the small screen.

TDK was my favourite film of 2008 and made the top ten lists of many critics. It certainly deserves a nomination, but the Academy can't vote for popcorn flicks it seems.

It's the best film of 08 and I saw nothing that came remotely close to it.

Either way I'm pissed off that In Bruges didnt get nominated, and that Colin Farrell didn't get nominated for the same film. Towelhead also should've gotten some nominations, more so Aaron Eckhart for best Supporting Actor.

It's stupid to get pissed off over films that had no chance to begin with. In Bruges got a screenplay nod, which is victory enough for a film like that. Towelhead got a medicore critical and commercial reception.

Oh and Altman is another fantastic director that never won an Oscar save for an Honorary one a year or two before he died.

That was the first year that I had seen all of the nominated movies...and I was very happy that Ryan didn't win. It was my least favorite of the 5. I thought that The Thin Red Line was twice the war movie that Ryan was.

I'm glad I've never called any movie "The Best Movie Ever".

Sucks that In Bruges didn't get nominated but I'm not surprised at all. I learned with Zodiac that no matter how good, movies that come out in February/March/April are just never going to score a bunch of nominations.

Jingus referenced it earlier. Another observation- while I generally like 90% of the documentaries nominated for Best Documentary but they clearly have a jones for ultra serious ones. It seems rare that documentaries with a humorous bent get nominated unless they're Michael Moore movies. American Movie and The King of Kong so should have gotten nominated in their respective years but didn't.

Jingus referenced it earlier. Another observation- while I generally like 90% of the documentaries nominated for Best Documentary but they clearly have a jones for ultra serious ones. It seems rare that documentaries with a humorous bent get nominated unless they're Michael Moore movies. American Movie and The King of Kong so should have gotten nominated in their respective years but didn't.

Ooo ok. I just remember Hoop Dreams being on almost every critic top 10 list. Siskel and Ebert called it the best Movie of the year, Ebert called it the best movie of the 90's. I can understand it being left off the best picture list but being left off best documentary.

I'm glad I've never called any movie "The Best Movie Ever".

Sucks that In Bruges didn't get nominated but I'm not surprised at all. I learned with Zodiac that no matter how good, movies that come out in February/March/April are just never going to score a bunch of nominations.

Dude, it's called Dirty Work.

A lot of people didn't like Zodiac. I really enjoyed it, and thought Robert Downey deserved a nod.

Hoop Dreams was the first time people looked at the Best Documentary category and was like: Wait, none of this makes any sense. They've taken steps to try and change it, though it's still a quagmire.

Ooo ok. I just remember Hoop Dreams being on almost every critic top 10 list. Siskel and Ebert called it the best Movie of the year, Ebert called it the best movie of the 90's. I can understand it being left off the best picture list but being left off best documentary.

Hoop Dreams wasn't nominated because of the bizarre, byzantine rules they had back then about what officially qualifies as a "documentary" per se. The Oscars' host that year David Letterman even made a joke about it, saying something to the effect of "And to the Academy documentary committee, I've been asked to pass on a message: some guys from Hoop Dreams are waiting for you with baseball bats in the parking lot". The rules were updated after that, but they're still odd and complicated. It did get a pity-fuck nomination for Best Editing though.

King of Kong wasn't nominated because... um... cuz they're stupid.