TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bob_barron

Oscar Nominations Thread

Rebecca won best picture and he couldn't even pull one for that... lame.

Rebecca was great. 39 Steps will always be my favourite though.

I thought Hoop Dreams wasn't nominated because it originally appeared on PBS or was on PBS very shortly after it premiered in theaters. Kind of similar as to why Fahrenheit 9/11 wasn't nominated because Michael Moore put it on PPV the night before the election.

I haven't seen "The Visitor" but it's weird to see two Oscar favorites like DiCaprio and Eastwood get snubbed for Richard Jenkins.

I'm pretty sure Downey only got nominated because he's red hot at the moment being in two summer blockbusters and finally made a comeback to the A-list. Since they obviously couldn't nominate him for Iron Man, they figured Tropic Thunder was the next best thing.

And yea, Springsteen being snubbed for best song is total bullshit.

You know, Malcolm X has aged terribly in my opinion. It was amazing when I first saw it years ago but now I can barely sit through it.

Scent of a Woman, along with Dog Day Afternoon, is my favorite Pacino performance. Way better than The Godfather and the very overrated Scarface.

Scent of a Woman is one of my least Pacino performances.

Give me Carlito's Way, Serpico, Glengarry Glen Ross, Godfather I and 2, Dog Day Afternoon, Donnie Brasco, Any Given Sunday, hell even Dick Tracy over it.

Regardless of what you thought of the film Malcolm X, there is NO one who could've played him better then Denzel. Me personally I still liked the movie watched it a few months ago, not my favorite Spike Lee movie, but problay my favorite Denzel performance.

I'm not sure if The Dark Knight deserved to get nominated for Best Picture myself but it's certainly more worthy than The Reader!

Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan is also pretty high up there in terms of snubs. Though I think that it seemed so obvious that Saving Private Ryan would win that year maybe they just picked it to shock everyone ala Crash in '06.

Oh and Altman is another fantastic director that never won an Oscar save for an Honorary one a year or two before he died.

That was the first year that I had seen all of the nominated movies...and I was very happy that Ryan didn't win. It was my least favorite of the 5. I thought that The Thin Red Line was twice the war movie that Ryan was.

I thought The Truman Show should have won and it didn't even get nominated. Had it come out after the Reality TV craze it probably would have been more appreciated.

There was no worse snub than the '99 Oscars for Best Actor. Edward Norton, Nick Nolte, Tom Hanks, and Ian McKellen... somehow Roberto Benigni takes the award home over all of them.

That was 1998, you putz.

I'm not sure if The Dark Knight deserved to get nominated for Best Picture myself but it's certainly more worthy than The Reader!

Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan is also pretty high up there in terms of snubs. Though I think that it seemed so obvious that Saving Private Ryan would win that year maybe they just picked it to shock everyone ala Crash in '06.

Oh and Altman is another fantastic director that never won an Oscar save for an Honorary one a year or two before he died.

That was the first year that I had seen all of the nominated movies...and I was very happy that Ryan didn't win. It was my least favorite of the 5. I thought that The Thin Red Line was twice the war movie that Ryan was.

I thought The Truman Show should have won and it didn't even get nominated. Had it come out after the Reality TV craze it probably would have been more appreciated.

The Truman Show was a great movie. The problem with it though is that it came out right after Batman and Robin, Liar Liar, The Cable Guy, Ace Ventura 2. People and Critics didn't really start viewing Jim as a good actor until The Truman Show came out.

I never thought Cable Guy was a bad movie, I thought it was one of Jim Carrey's better performances.

And Jim Carrey was never in Batman and Robin.

What did you think of Cruising, EHME?

Never seen it, should I?

oh no, sir...no no NO

I sort of like Cruising. Can see why it's become a minor camp classic over the years. It's probably not EHME's cup of tea to say the least.

Holy shit, alright for Michael Shannon getting nominated for rocking it in Revolutionary Road. Shame he won't win, but the man damn well deserves it.

But fuck Gran Torino and The Wrestler not getting song nominations, and Let The Right One In not getting a Foreign Language nomination.

There was no worse snub than the '99 Oscars for Best Actor. Edward Norton, Nick Nolte, Tom Hanks, and Ian McKellen... somehow Roberto Benigni takes the award home over all of them.

That was 1998, you putz.

Well the Oscars did take place in 1999, so he's not entirely wrong, dumbass.

And Jim Carrey was never in Batman and Robin.

He obviously means Batman Forever.

Sweden did not choose "Let the Right One in" as their country's selection for an Oscar.

Springsteen not being nominated is the only thing that shocked me.

If you were actually thinking TDK would get nominated for Best Picture, you don't know the Academy.

The thought never even crossed my mind.

Glad that Michael Shannon got an Oscar nod. One of my favorite actors in Hollywood.

I've said it before, but he worked hard to make sure know dick was shown in Bug.

He was pretty cool in World Trade Centre, and I'm so glad he got a nod.

Thing is, Taxi Driver was one of a few ultra bleak films nominated in 1976. Network was also nominated, All the President's Men as well I think. Rocky was the lone feel good flick that stood out from the others.

Chicago over Gangs of New York....how about over Two Towers as well? But then a similar argument could be made for A Beautiful Mind over the first LOTR.

Just wondering but is this a thread for predictions or is it just to discuss the nominees?

I may be wildly off base, but I think hte reason that Two Towers didn't win was because just about everybody knew that Return of the King would.

That was 1998, you putz.

No matter what the year is it's still outfuckingrageous

Taxi Driver jobbing to Rocky for Best Picture is the worst snub that comes to mind and I'm a huge Rocky fan

What about the following year (1977)?

Star Wars in no way deserves a win over Annie Hall.

Oh no you didn't!

730_machine_gun_shooting_smiley.gif

[/star wars fanboy]

DISCLAIMER: Of course this is a joke.

Also take a look at #2 and #32.

Empire has chimed in TDK's snubs