TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bob_barron

Oscar Nominations Thread

1. This is two years in a row the Best Song from the Golden Globes DID NOT EVEN GET NOMINATED: "Guaranteed" Eddie Vedder, "The Wrestler" Bruce Springsteen

I am a HUGE FAN of both artists, but, even objectively I cannot fathom how neither got NOMINATED. Especially Springsteen, since a)brings in viewers; and b) the song is the perfect companion to the movie.

2. Also on the songs, "Rock Me Sexy Jesus" was eligible? Man...they should have had fun with it and done both the "Sarah Marshall" song and "Rock Me Sexy Jesus". I would have watched the Oscars for both of those alone.

3. On that Top Ten link, how did two critics put "Twilight" in their list? What? What? I feel bad for anyone subjected to those reviews.

4. Fuck The Reader. I saw it. "Yawn". Although, Kate naked was a great thing.

So according to the LA Times and I'm taking this very lightly due to the horrendous amount... Curious Case of Benjamin Button's total cost is damn near 300 million.

150 million to make it

135 in marketing and distributing the movie all over the world

8-10 million so far spent for the Oscar Campaign

The Reader is this year's Atonement.

Meaning this year's movie that critics will go boners over but no one else really will see?

And Star Wars is better than Annie Hall

I still can't get over the Heath Ledger ass kissing. As awesome as Ledger was as The Joker, I think we can all agree that the Academy or any other award ceremony wouldn't give two shits about the role had he not died. The performance was excellent, it's just sad that it took Heath dying for the Academy to finally realize it. Now we get all these awards shows milking his death and it's just plain sad. Just think, had he still been alive today, there wouldn't be any of this.

Yeah. It definitely kicks the shit out of The Reader and Benjamin Button, and while I haven't seen the other two Best Pic noms I have a hard time imagining they'd be better. Hell, I actually liked Slumdog better overall than Dark Knight, not in pure fanboy fun but in terms of cinematic artistic achievement and other big words. Although I still wouldn't say it was the best movie I've seen this year, that was Wall-E, which really deserved more than the Best Animated and Best Sound Something that it's gonna get.

I'm a Frost/Nixon man myself, but it definitely doesn't surprise me that Slumdog Millionaire has a much broader appeal. The timing for Slumdog Millionaire, with the economy going down the tubes, couldn't be better.

I fucking hated Wall E and thought that after the first half hour the movie got so bad that everyone liking it is some massive prank being pulled on me.

Everyone has a movie like that. You can't say a nice word about Natural Born Killers anywhere near me without getting a lot of inarticulate screaming in return.