TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Obi Chris Kenobi

Football (Soccer) for Americans

Chris (or any other Brit) .. the Charity Shield, if someone wins both the FA and Premiership title, who do they wind up playing? I wanna say its whomever finished second in the Premiership, but I'm not too sure.

Correct, sir.

While we're talking about teams winning more than one trophy a season, runners up can receive European competition if the circumstances are correct.

If the FA Cup winners are also in the Champions League qualifying positions, or UEFA Cup positions in the Premier League, then the team who lost the FA Cup final will also be given a spot in the UEFA Cup.

Also, in the very, very rare occurrence that the winner of the Champions League actually finishes outside the top four in their domestic league, and doesn't qualify automatically for next seasons Champions League, despite winning the tournament, they won't be entered the next season.

At least, this is the rule in theory. Liverpool actually won the Champions League a couple of years ago but managed to finish 5th in the Premier League, and were allowed special dispensation to qualify for the next Champions League at the expense of, I think, a play off with a Welsh team, which Liverpool did go on to win.

The point I'm trying to make is, although the rules are there in English football, the teams, notably in the English Premier League, can hold a lot of sway with football organisations.

I've wanted to do this for ages, but I'm clueless as to which team I'd want to support. I don't even know if it would be a Premier League team or one from elsewhere in the FA. All I know is it's not Man U.

You could do what I did with the NFL, stick names of all the teams in a hat and pick one at random.

Of course with 92 league teams you run the risk of pulling a team who are terrible and you'll never be able to see play, so you'd probably want to narrow it down a little.

Are there any EPL teams that play more of an attacking/up tempo game? I'm trying to do the follow one team thing (through the Fox Soccer channel on Verizon FIOS).

As an extension, which teams in general (World Cup, other leagues) play that style of football/soccer?

I tend to favor teams that have an up tempo/attacking style as opposed to the defensive, ball control style that most (?) teams seem to employ from what I've watched. As a note, I enjoyed watching Argentina (IIRC) during the World Cup for that reason.

Are there any EPL teams that play more of an attacking/up tempo game?

Outside of the more obvious choices of Man U and Arsenal, one of the more exciting teams right now is Aston Villa (owned by American Randy Lerner who I think also owns the Cleveland Browns, if that means anything to you). They have two of the most promising young English players in Gabriel Agbonlahor and Ashley Young - very fast and skillful. They're also managed by Martin O'Neill, widely recognised as one of the best managers in the UK.

They're my team to back in the Premier League anyway, while Nottingham Forest struggle away in the next league down...

Are there any EPL teams that play more of an attacking/up tempo game?

Outside of the more obvious choices of Man U and Arsenal, one of the more exciting teams right now is Aston Villa (owned by American Randy Lerner who I think also owns the Cleveland Browns, if that means anything to you). They have two of the most promising young English players in Gabriel Agbonlahor and Ashley Young - very fast and skillful. They're also managed by Martin O'Neill, widely recognised as one of the best managers in the UK.

They're my team to back in the Premier League anyway, while Nottingham Forest struggle away in the next league down...

and while they continue to struggle, keep an eye on Derby County in the same division, who, under exciting new manager Nigel Clough...

Spurs try to play up tempo. They fail though. Epic failure, that whole club. This all said, if you have GolTV, I suggest getting a taste of the German Bundesliga and seeing how up tempo their teams play. Other teams that play with great speed and offensive power are Barcelona, Atletico Madrid, Olympique Marseille, AS Roma, Ajax Amsterdam (but you won't find their games on TV)...

I'm a fan of a strong, strong defensive team. We also happen to be top of the league right now. Only problem is that United have that game in hand.